CF CARD FORMAT WITH EL CAPITAN OSX

Started by budafilms, October 21, 2015, 07:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

budafilms

As you know, Mac Users, DISK Utility has change.
EXFAT format now has more option and my question is wich one it's the best to use.
I tried a couple and when I re insert the card in the Mac, ooops, say: Not format.

So, wich one is the correct setting for format the card for RAW recording under OSX EL CAPITAN?

charlesbrepsant

I have the exact same problem - no matter with which options I format in exFAT with El Capitan, it gives me that error and I can't record longer than 4 Gigs.

Walter Schulz

Sorry, please give details.
ML can't bypass Canon's file handling. If your cam (you haven't mentioned the type) stops H.264 recording (you haven't entioned record mode) if file size reaches 4 GB. ML can restart recording (you haven't mentioned if you are using this option) automatically.

And most of the times "I have exact same problem" is a very different one ... as you described.

charlesbrepsant

Hi Walter,

Thanks for your answer.

I think I have half-solved the problem.

Here is the problem in more details : on 5dMIII, when I format my CF cards in ExFat with Disk Utility in El Capitan, I have multiple options to choose (GUID Partition Map, Master Boot Record, Apple Partition Map).

After formatting with any of these options and re-inserting card in Camera I get the following error: "Card1 cannot be accessed Reinsert/change the card or format card with camera"

However, in Disk Utility you have two ways to format the card:
Option 1: you can select the Type of Disk and Erase it (which gives you the options above)
Option 2: there is a small dropdown that allows you to select the Disk with the name you gave it, and format it. This does not give you any of the above options.

Now, if I format my cards first on Windows, in exFat, then in-camera with the 5d,  and then format them using Option 2 on El Capitan, then and only then do the cards work fine on the 5d.

However, as soon as I format on El Capitan with Option 1, then even if I use 5d in-camera formatting and Option 2 straight after, the card remains unusable on the 5d.

One additional note that may help figure out the problem - after formatting using Option 1 and when trying to format on Windows, I can format the card successfully in exFat, but only for 200MB...

So to summarize the solution if you have the same problem as me - never use  Option 1 in El Capitan's Disk Utility, only Option 2.  If you do use Option 1, then format first in Windows, then in-camera, then Option 2 on El Capitan.

Hope this helps someone.

blabberlicious

budafilms

DISK UTILITY, ERASE, EXFAT, GUIDE PARTITION MAP
;)

D_Odell

Hi!

I have carefully tried every solution except with a PC, don't have one for the moment. Cant make ExFat to work unfortunately. Im using 5D3 and Sandisk 128 GB 160 read.

Is the only way to go with ExFat if you have a Windows-based computer?

Thanks!
5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie

Danne

Why must it be exfat anyway? Raw2dng(Bouncyball version) already convert spanned raw files and mlv files can be spanned and converted as is.

D_Odell

Okay! So ExFat or Fat32 don't differ in write speed or so? Only spanning that differs? Thanks!

budafilms

ExFAT is more stable.
And oyu don't have to worry about rec file bigger than 4gb.
Use ExFAT ;)

Danne

What is not stable with spanned files? Issues with converting are already sorted.

budafilms

@Danne

More stable about Exfat vs Exfat32 in my experience, after rec around 8-9 CF cards per day.
Less drop frames, less error message.

I never use spanning.

dratif

5D3 | SanDisk 64GB 160- KB 64GB 1066x | Canon 24-105mm 4L | Canon 70-300mm IS USM | Rokinon 85mm 1.5 | Nikon 50mm 1.4 | Nikon 28mm 2.8 | Tascam DR-60 Mk2 | Audio Tech. AT 8024 | MS7701B Boom | Aputure H198C | Monitor FreeWorld FW-759 | Tripod Oben AC-1341 | Head PH-368 | Slider SLD-31 | MBP 2015 mid

Walter Schulz

dratif

Quote from: Walter Schulz on July 27, 2016, 05:41:15 AM
Solution? Is there a problem?

How to format on Mac that is exfat.

Every time I do on Mac it wont go beyond 4GB and when I do it on Windows it is fine.

Thanks for your reply. 
5D3 | SanDisk 64GB 160- KB 64GB 1066x | Canon 24-105mm 4L | Canon 70-300mm IS USM | Rokinon 85mm 1.5 | Nikon 50mm 1.4 | Nikon 28mm 2.8 | Tascam DR-60 Mk2 | Audio Tech. AT 8024 | MS7701B Boom | Aputure H198C | Monitor FreeWorld FW-759 | Tripod Oben AC-1341 | Head PH-368 | Slider SLD-31 | MBP 2015 mid

Walter Schulz

dratif

Quote from: Lars Steenhoff on July 27, 2016, 12:16:31 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/solution-to-el-capitans-new-disk-utility-want-the-old-one-back.1938136/

Solution : old disk utility works with some small modification.
Quote from: Walter Schulz on July 27, 2016, 07:08:43 AM
Reply #3 doesn't help?

It dont wanna risk using altered because the card, the camera and the fact that we are on hack- doesn't make me feel confident to go ahead with it.

So WS any durable option besides Win?

Thanks much.

DeafEyeJedi

If I were you @dratif -- it would be wise to go ahead and try @Lars Steenhoff's suggestion re: older version of DU via OS X.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Walter Schulz

I don't know what the problem is. I can't reproduce it.

Inserted a 8 GB SD-card into my Hackintosh (running 10.11.6) and run Disk Utility. Formated card with ExFAT. Inserted card into cam (650D): No problem. Copied ML files to card and installed ML via Firmware update option.
Configured MLV_REC to write with 35.4 MByte/s to ExFAT and stopped after 3:00. File size is 6,716,211,808 Bytes.

What are we talking about? As far as I can tell dratif haven't used ExFAT at all.

cmccullum

I have also had issues when trying to format a card to exfat on El Capitan. Same as mentioned: format card in disk utility, insert in camera, get "card 1 can not be read".

I was able to then format the card in camera, but I don't think the exfat stuck (didn't test), but I did have an h264 file split because "file over 4gb" so I assume it did not.

I'm pretty sure El Capitan disk utility is just broken because my Mac does not recognize the card properly after attempted exfat format.

Try formatting the card via terminal. I'm not sure if you can do such a thing, but I don't see why not. Just do a search and you should find out how if possible

budafilms

@cmccullum

Wich camera do you have, and wich card?

For example, 7D and some CF card doesn't work.

5D Mark III, no problem in my case.

cmccullum

5d3 64gb komputer bay 1066x

I never had any issues with older disk utility

budafilms

Try only MS DOS FAT - the other option -  please, and report.

D_Odell

My only solution was with a PC and Windows. Works from the first try.