Unable to format Lexar 1066x 256gb CF in 5D MK II

Started by DeRouge, October 21, 2015, 03:22:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeRouge

I just bought a Lexar 1066x 256gb CF and tried to format it in my 5D MK II, but it crashes everytime.

Walter Schulz

If your PC runs windows: Use h2testw to check card.

DeRouge

Quote from: Walter Schulz on October 21, 2015, 05:05:10 AM
If your PC runs windows: Use h2testw to check card.

Hi, Thank you very much!!! But, after running h2testw it confirmed that the card is functioning.
Yet I still can't properly format it.  :-[

Walter Schulz

You wrote elsewhere your cam won't start using this and *any other* card.
What is your status now?

DeRouge

Quote from: Walter Schulz on October 21, 2015, 10:53:43 AM
You wrote elsewhere your cam won't start using this and *any other* card.
What is your status now?

The camera will start now, but with ML installed or uninstalled, I can't format the card without it froze on 1% and then me having to take out the battery and reinserting it.

Walter Schulz

Can you format other cards inside the cam? Are you able to format the 256 GB card using a cardreader? Is this card readable in cam using ExFAT or FAT32?

DeRouge

Quote from: Walter Schulz on October 21, 2015, 05:50:00 PM
Can you format other cards inside the cam? Are you able to format the 256 GB card using a cardreader? Is this card readable in cam using ExFAT or FAT32?

Hi, yes, the other card I have are only 16 and 32GBs and they format fine.
The 256GB doesn't format properly using a cardreader either. This card is readable in cam using ExFAT.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: DeRouge on October 21, 2015, 07:18:59 PM
The 256GB doesn't format properly using a cardreader either. This card is readable in cam using ExFAT.

Sorry? "Doesn't format properly" <-> "Readable"?
Please clarify!

reddeercity

Not sure if the 256GB CF is supported by the 5d2 I know the 128GB CF is , I have had problems in the past formatting CF to FAT32 on the PC though
USB 3.0 Card reader with 64GB cards  Windows want to format as Exfat.
So I found a little free software utility from HP called "hp-usb-disk-storage-format-tool"
http://hp-usb-disk-storage-format-tool.en.softonic.com/download#
Works well maybe give that a try , should have no problems formatting to FAT32
Edit: You will need to run it as administrator , just right click .... you will the see the option etc....

Walter Schulz

Quote from: reddeercity on October 22, 2015, 05:26:22 AM
Not sure if the 256GB CF is supported by the 5d2 [...]

Should be:
QuoteEOS 5D Mark II Firmware Version 2.1.2 and EOS 50D Firmware Version 1.0.9 include the following improvement:

Optimizes the EOS 5D Mark II and EOS 50D's performance when using certain UDMA 7-compatible CF cards released in February 2012 or later, such as the 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, 128GB, and large-capacity 256GB CF cards in the Lexar Professional CF 1000X series that were sequentially released from late February onward.

reddeercity

Walter Schulz

Doesn't confirm compatibility with Lexar's 1066x 256 GB card, though:

Text goes on like this:

When using these CF cards with the EOS 5D Mark II, a card error (Err02) may occur during shooting or when initializing the card.
This is caused by a change in the UDMA 7's control and process method of the above CF cards, that is different from that of the conventional
cards, and outside the margin of compatibility of the EOS 5D Mark II (depending on the controller used in the cards).