6D memory card question and video 720p raw

Started by tchunmedia, October 21, 2015, 12:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tchunmedia

Hello, this is my first time on this forum and its awesome. So much stuff to learn about this magic lantern.
I recently picked up a 6D and I added ML on it last night. Im wondering if I need to upgrade my memory cards. I dont think my wallet will allow for the 280mb type memory card I was planning to stick with either 80mb or 90-95mb sandisk (?gb)

I currently have a 80mb 32gb sandisk and it ran 720p last night which I think it worked ok? But I could not get 1080, I read that 6D wont be able to get it that high. So my question would be, what does everyone recommend shooting raw video at? I got the camera to run higher then 720 last night, but I'm not familiar with shooting in that format. I usually only shoot non raw 1080 or 720.

Will the higher quality video be able to work on Vimeo (720 max) as well? Or should I just stick to 720p raw. I dont know the exact numbers it had I dont have my camera on me, but selecting higher then 720p will that export ok after process?

Sorry if im confusing anyone, I can reword stuff if needed.
Forgive me in advance for not knowing all the terms, this whole raw video stuff is so new to me lol.

So should I shoot higher then 720? If so should I get new cards higher then 80mb, or should I just stick with 80mb and get a 64gb+ card and run it at 720p raw.
Thanks so much in advance!

Levas

You don't need the superfast memory cards, the canon 6d can't write any faster than 41MB/s.
So a sandisk that says 45Mb write speed should be sufficient.

Are you sure you already recorded raw video, did you get a raw or mlv file or was it a mov file?
if you don't know how it works, you could best start with searching on youtube for:
How to shoot raw with magic lantern
Or
Raw video workflow magic lantern

There are lots of videos on youtube about magic lantern, easiest way to learn the basics

Walter Schulz

At time of writing there is no ML enabled cam with UHS-II interface. All UHS-II cards will run in UHS-I mode in cams and be restricted to use UHS-II in cardreaders with UHS-II interface.
And especially SanDisk UHS-II cards do have quite a slow UHS-I mode implemented. They do about 48 MByte/s (write) at best. So: In cams with fast UHS-I interface fast UHS-I cards will outperform Sandisk UHS-II cards. See http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/canon-6d/sd-card-comparison/

And that's not the only UHS-II card where some details are not that well documented: Panasonic Micro P2 32GB UHS-II is another candidate.