Canon 100D / SL1

Started by nikfreak, October 19, 2015, 10:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IDA_ML

Quote from: Wlad81 on May 10, 2020, 12:19:27 AM
Thinking of filming it in raw 30 minutes per day.

30 minutes per day???  If the construction takes 6 months = 180 days x 30 min = 90 hours of video showing a bridge under contruction.  Who is going to watch this?  Are you? Is 1 minute per day not enough?

OlRivrRat,

Magic Lantern is about image quality - a merely technical forum.  Story&Artistic Value are completely different categories that have very little to do with technical stuff although technology may contribute to them in many different ways.  You regret that you did not film your videos at a higher bit rate.  Imagine if you had filmed them in 12-bit RAW ...

Walter Schulz

Quote from: IDA_ML on May 13, 2020, 06:21:43 PM
Magic Lantern is about image quality

Says who? IQ is not the sole reason ML exists!
Quotes from ML's own "about":
About Magic Lantern

Magic Lantern is a software enhancement that offers increased functionality to the excellent Canon DSLR cameras. [...]

[...]

Originally created by Trammell Hudson, ML is now being developed by photo and video enthusiasts, adding functionality such as: HDR images and video, timelapse, motion detection, focus assist tools, manual audio controls much more.

Scope

The goal of the Magic Lantern project is to provide technical means for executing open source software on Canon DSLR cameras.[...]

IDA_ML

@Walter Schulz

OK, I agree with you, ML is not only about image quality but it still is a technical forum.  It has nothing to do with Story&Artistic Values.

Wlad81

Quote from: IDA_ML on May 13, 2020, 06:21:43 PM
30 minutes per day???  If the construction takes 6 months = 180 days x 30 min = 90 hours of video showing a bridge under contruction.  Who is going to watch this?  Are you? Is 1 minute per day not enough?
I'll think of it. 90 hours of footage is too much. Maybe 5 minutes per day would be enough.

I've got Sandisk Extreme Plus U3 128GB. The ML quick benchmark shows 67.3 MB/s write and 71.9 MB/s read when the camera is in the picture view mode. Now my 100D is able to shoot continuously in 1920x1080, 25fps, 11 bit lossless. That is, Extreme Plus is enough for this, not to speak of Extreme Pro.
Canon EOS 5D Mk III + Canon 24-105 F/4 L IS USM + SanDisk Exreme Pro 64 GB (SD, ML Nightly.2021Feb07.5D3113) + SanDisk Extreme Pro 128 GB (CF).

OlRivrRat

@ Wlad81

I would suggest that if the project interests You enough to spend the time each day shooting it &

You have the storage capacity then by all means Capture the 90Hrs ~ Maybe You'll never find a need for

all of it but You will have the files & will afford Yourself the ability make that decision @ some point down

the road > You'll never be able to go back & shoot it later ~

You could always turn the Whole 90Hrs into a TimeLapse ~
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

OlRivrRat

@ IDA_ML

So are You saying that to You, Magic Lantern is simply a Fancy Piece of Software that adds some Techiness to Our Cam's &

Not An Amazingly Versatile Photographic Tool that allows Us to Capture/Create Images with Our Canons that We would otherwise

not be able to do if ML did not exist ~

& For the record > I don't see anywhere that I said I "regret that" I "did not film ... videos at a higher bit rate"

I did say > certainly there are some Vid's that would possibly have been better if they had been recorded @ a Higher Bit Depth ~

& that Should seem to imply that I have already Imagined what they might look like had they been Recorded @ 10 or 12Bit & still

I would feel comfortable saying that it was not absolutely necessary because I did in fact Get The Shot I Wanted ~

& Technically Speaking > 8Bit can record 16,777,216 colors & the Vast Majority of Human Eyes can only Discern 10,000,000 ~

& Also > The Term 12-bit RAW does not refer to "bit Rate" it refers to "bit Depth" ~

Wlad81

OlRivrRat
I think IDA_ML right about those terrible 90 hours of footage. It is not a construction of the XXI century, not the re-construction of the Tver Transfiguration Cathedral (a huge one), so 5 minutes per day would be enough. This would give me 900 minutes, of course, that is too much, but it's less than 90 hours.

My 2008 Mac Pro converts 1 minute of raw into ProRes 4444 in about 20 minutes using the latest MLV App.

By the way, I don't have a 20 TB storage capacity.

So, here comes a question of storage!

I don't know if I can show you first examples of this filming, cause I have not got an official permission for the filming (though, this is not the strategical object, so should I?). May I?
Canon EOS 5D Mk III + Canon 24-105 F/4 L IS USM + SanDisk Exreme Pro 64 GB (SD, ML Nightly.2021Feb07.5D3113) + SanDisk Extreme Pro 128 GB (CF).

IDA_ML

Quote from: OlRivrRat on May 14, 2020, 12:00:46 AM
So are You saying that to You, Magic Lantern is simply a Fancy Piece of Software that adds some Techiness to Our Cam's

This is exactly what ML is.  And it is entirely up to the photo and videographers how to use ML to express and realize their artistic ideas and turn them into master pieces of art.  And yes, as you say, it indeed is an "Amazingly Versatile Photographic Tool that allows Us to Capture/Create Images with Our Canons that We would otherwise not be able to do if ML did not exist".  But it still is just a tool and nothing more ...  So is the 100D too - very capable with ML on it but still just a tool. I have shot some of my best videos with it.  They are not master pieces of art but my folks like them.  And that's all what matters to me.

Bit rate was lapsus lingva.  Of course I mean "bit depth".  Thanks for correcting me.

Wlad81,

Of course you can show us some of your footage.  A bridge is a public object that anyone can take pictures of.  You didn't ask the duck for permission to film it, did you?

Skinny

@Wlad81 as a suggestion, you can shoot most of it in fps override, with 1-2 fps. This would instantly make a timelapse and save a lot of space. Make sure you use 360-degree shutter speed for smooth motion, although you will probably need an ND filter for this in daylight.

IDA_ML

Quote from: Skinny on May 14, 2020, 10:35:03 AM
@Wlad81 as a suggestion, you can shoot most of it in fps override, with 1-2 fps. This would instantly make a timelapse and save a lot of space. Make sure you use 360-degree shutter speed for smooth motion, although you will probably need an ND filter for this in daylight.

Excellent suggestion, Skinny! The 100D features the full timelapse functionality of the EOS-M and the 5DMkIII and allows you to film at the full sensor resolution without loss of quality.  This means that every frame of the timelapse will be of the same image quality as a still photo shot in RAW with the 100D.  And yes, an ND filter is a must for daylight shots but be carefull if you plan to use these filters at focal lengths exceeding 50 mm.  It may be hard to find cheap ones that do not degrade image quality, (i.e. soften the image) at larger focal lengths.  Good ones are pretty expensive.  Finally, you will need a stable tripod in case it is windy outside.  And don't forget to turn image stabilizer off when filming on a tripod, otherwise you end up with jittery footage. 

Wlad81

This is awful... Yesterday everything was OK, but today I shut on the camera, tried to film something, but it said "Card is full". I have the MicroSD card Sandisk Extreme Plus U3 128 GB with the SD adapter. I've tried to format the card and saw a very slow formatting. Now the computer and the notebook cannot even see the card. I put the good card into the 100D, then pulled it off and put Sandisk Extreme Plus. Now it is reading the ML files before formatting - VERY SLOWLY. It sees the card, though, but can't format it.

Changed it for Samsung Pro Plus 64 GB U3 SDXC. The real write speed is so-so, shuts off after 2 minutes of raw recording, H.264 goes without problem. So now I'm selling it. What a...

Here is the first slo-mo result. File is 6,5 GB. 5 fps to 25 fps. https://yadi.sk/i/gKB4xYV-qVKP6Q

Wlad81

Can I use SanDisk Extreme microSDXC 128 ГБ [SDSQXA1-128G-GN6MA] in 100D?

OlRivrRat

@Wlad81

It is My understanding that SDXC Cards are Backward Compatible but since the

Older Devices lack all of the Contacts of the XC You will not get any Speed Advantage ~

It is also My understanding that using a Micro SD in an SD Equipped Cam Via an

Adapter will result in Slower Write Speeds / Transfer Rate ~

Walter Schulz

Sorry, this is an UHS-I card, not UHS-III with additional pins/contact pads. MicroSD has indeed 8 pins, standard SD 9. But the "missing" pin is just an additional ground connector.

XC = extended capacity = bigger than 32 GByte.

There is no speed penalty if used with the adapter comming with the card. There are cases of very, very cheap adapters from third parties known to cause slower transfer speeds because of incomplete wiring.
The rest looks like this: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD-Karte#/media/Datei:Micro_sd_adapter_opened.jpg

Wlad81

I will use the adapter from the original Sandisk set.

OlRivrRat

Hey Walter

Thanks for that >

"XC = extended capacity = bigger than 32 GByte."

Big Old Dummy Me Knew That but My Attention

was apparently @Ease or maybe Out Of Funds ~

Wlad81

By the way. https://rawcalculator.netlify.app/calculator_desktop doesn't consider (or doesn't take into consideration) the existence of 8-10, 12 and 14 bit lossless compression modes that are implemented for 100D. I've done a video 60 sec long in 1920x1080 10 bit lossless crop mode, and the actual mlv file size is 2,791,141,888 bytes (2.79 GB). That is, 128 GB flash would be enough to shoot 45 minutes continuously in this very mode.

Sandisk Extreme Pro 64 GB shows 66.1 MB/s write and 71 MB/s read in benchmark.

iliush

"There is no speed penalty if used with the adapter comming with the card."

If it is so, will be interesting to see the differences in heating? If existing any?

Walter Schulz

?
Unable to decode your post.
Is there a heating problem in 100D?

Walter Schulz

Wlad81

Earlier on this topic I wrote that the SD card and the battery becomes very hot after long continuous shooting. Maybe iliush has another problem with overheating, but on my 100D the whole battery slot gets hot after even 10 or 15 minutes of continuous shooting raw. When I put the card off it's as hot as a frying pan (OK, not exactly as a frying pan, but it's quite hot, I can hold it in my fingers). I guess this is because during shooting raw the controller works at a higher speed than usual. Maybe the overheating can be dangerous for the SD card, and maybe it won't prolong the card's life in 100D.

So, the card needs to be constantly cooled, hot air must be vented from the battery compartment. To do so, I've removed the compartment's lid, and, anyway, when shooting in the street, the card gets hot not so quickly and not as much as during shooting indoor and with the lid closed.

I think many things depends here on the bitrate.

The problem is that the battery gets hot too, and it is hotter while shooting raw than while shooting h.264. I want to say that the card and the battery warms up during shooting h.264 too, but not as much as shooting raw. The important thing is that the battery additionally hots the SD card, even without the compartment lid.

iliush

Sorry my English Walter. You don't have any heating when recording? I am just curious what size of card, will perform better in same conditions, and if it is a deference between them from heating point of view. Hope it is more understandable what I mean.
Yes Wlad81, I have same problems. This is why I bought battery grip for my SL1, but I don't make a final conclusion if it changes the situation. However a slight improvement it's expected plus the advantage of extra battery.

names_are_hard

SanDisk rates their cards to 85C.  That's hot enough to immediately give you a painful, blistering burn.  Your card is, I assume, not getting that hot.  It's fine.

https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4687/~/sandisk-cards-environmental-tolerance-%28waterproof%2C-temperature%2C-magnetic-and

Heating of the battery is more of a concern.  The threshold of pain is about 50C.  If it's too hot to hold because of pain, you might be risking some reduction in battery lifetime.  Couldn't find direct info from Canon on the rating.  If it merely "feels hot" then it's likely fine.

Wlad81

iliush
The battery grip doesn't allow the hot air, produced by the SD controller, to be vented from the battery compartment. Though, I've not tried to use the battery grip. The best solution here, IMHO, is to use the remote battery grip with the compartment lid taken off the camera.

OlRivrRat

Are You guys Sure that it is some component of the Cam' that is Heating the

Card & Battery ?  I would think that it might be the Battery that is is getting hot &

Heating the Card & Cam ~ Trying the Grip or a Battery Replacement Adapter might

Answer & Solve this issue ~

I would also be Less concerned about what the Heat might do to the Card or

Battery (they are replaceable), & More concerned about what that Heat is doing to the Cam' ~