Canon 100D / SL1

Started by nikfreak, October 19, 2015, 10:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masc

Quote from: Wlad81 on March 23, 2020, 09:19:18 PM
I've applied "Fix Focus Dots" (method 2), "Fix Bad Pixels" (Force, Agressive, 3), and, what's most important, "Chroma Smooth" to 3x3. All the focus and the bad pixels had completely gone, and the clarity is not affected.
Chroma smooth is no real solution, because you kill all detail with it. Fixing focus dots must work without this.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Wlad81

Yes, it should work, but it doesn't work.

All I've got with it - here it is.

https://yadi.sk/i/foD-_zXpbCihBw

By the way, I'm on OS X 10.10.
Canon EOS 5D Mk III + Canon 24-105 F/4 L IS USM + SanDisk Exreme Pro 64 GB (SD, ML Nightly.2021Feb07.5D3113) + SanDisk Extreme Pro 128 GB (CF).

masc

It would be more interesting to get a short MLV file for analysis. But if focus pixel fix does not work, I am very sure you did not install the correct pixel map. Have you installed them? What tells the MLVApp dialog "Show Installed Focus Pixel Maps" after loading your MLV clip (screenshot?)?

https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App/wiki#fix-focus-dots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYqSavtita0
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Wlad81

Do I have to make new focus pixel map each time I make new shoot?

The dialog shows this: https://yadi.sk/i/Z8dBd3L7Btbr5A
Canon EOS 5D Mk III + Canon 24-105 F/4 L IS USM + SanDisk Exreme Pro 64 GB (SD, ML Nightly.2021Feb07.5D3113) + SanDisk Extreme Pro 128 GB (CF).

Danne

Please upload a sample mlv file.

masc

Quote from: Wlad81 on March 24, 2020, 11:28:45 AM
Do I have to make new focus pixel map each time I make new shoot?

The dialog shows this: https://yadi.sk/i/Z8dBd3L7Btbr5A
This dialog shows, that you have NOT installed any 100D focus pixel map. Without focus pixel map MLVApp can't remove your foxus pixels. This is as expected. So please install the maps and try again. You don't have to make it, just download and install it. You don't need it new for each shoot. The maps are always the same, when using the same ML build.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Wlad81

Quote from: masc on March 24, 2020, 01:47:05 PM
just download and install it.
OK, I've downloaded, unzipped and installed it, this was simple. Finally it works, without any chroma smooth. Sorry for my fault.

By the way, there is some noise that occurs when I'm scrolling down the highlights to -25 or exposure to, say, -1, all in MLVApp. Perhaps that is because the video was overexposed during shooting? https://yadi.sk/i/E-dY9-jV9mL8xA Note that pink noise in the sky above the bridge.

This is the link to raw file of the simple test. Please, don't shoot at me. This is pre- removing focus pixels. https://yadi.sk/d/xwuqhFnM6_BxhQ

masc

Quote from: Wlad81 on March 24, 2020, 07:29:48 PM
Note that pink noise in the sky above the bridge.
Slightly reduce the RAW White Level (-50..-200) and activate Highlight Reconstruction.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Wlad81

Thank you so much. This works (so-so), but the video was highly overexposed.

By the way, the 2K (2520x1080p) crop mode is very, VERY buggy. I've switched it on/off countless time. For example: https://yadi.sk/d/29u4j2ki7JoTiw To cop with it (at least, until the update comes), I use to do the next steps:
- switch off the camera,
- take out and in the battery,
- switch the camera on again,
- it says that "camera was not shut down cleanly, skipped module loading", so I'm switching off and on the camera again,
- then I'm switching it to the photo mode (this is important! not to the video mode!),
- go to ML menu, switch the crop mode off,
- set the camera to the video mode and switch the crop mode on to 2K (2520x1080p).

I've also noticed that during work with SD_UHS the SD card warms up quite a lot for 5 minutes. To cool it during shooting, I took off the cover of this bay. It works - at least, for now.

Despite all that, this is a miracle to have a camera that costs $200 with kit lens and is able to shoot 1080p 14 bit uncompressed (=lossless) video.

UPD: now I'm switching off the 2K mode each time I've done with shooting. It takes some time, but it works.

I'm making tests, here is one, if someone is interested. MLV file: https://yadi.sk/d/j5p5YR9YzcrjBQ Session file: https://yadi.sk/d/STclZ0KaFpEQcg  ProRes 444 file: https://yadi.sk/d/5WkNLiHUY5RkUQ Non-crop mode, 1736x936 25p, upscaled in postproduction to 1920x1080. Sorry, I used no tripod here.

Wlad81

Can you recommend to use Sandisk Extreme Pro U3 256 GB SD card with 100D? Or even the 512 GB version? Will it overclock?

Wlad81

Here's what I shoot with ML RAW. Filmed with Canon EOS 100D, Canon 18-55 STM, Magic Lantern, Nightly build Jan 19, 2020, 14 bit lossless, 1760x990, 25 fps. Processed in the MLV App, used the filter "Film 'FJ'" (FujiFilm film emulation), sharpness set at 60, Clarity, Vibrance and Saturation set at 20. Output format is ProRes 4444 in 1920x1080 resolution. There is also 4K UHD version of it, made from the same MLV file.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY8kEI8NC_w

Wlad81

I don't know if it is interesting to anybody or not.

In the city where I live, a pedestrian bridge over the river that flows into the Volga, is currently under construction. I began to observe the construction only today, on a sunny day. From the place of my observation beautiful views open. Shot a few minutes of construction today in raw, 1920x1080, 25 fps, 12 bit lossless, Canon EOS 100D, Canon 18-55 STM. They are going to construct the bridge till the autumn, and they started doing it in March. Thinking of filming it in raw 30 minutes per day. This is a really great project, by the way, and, IMHO, it worths filming in raw. Anybody any idea? To raw or not to raw?

ilia3101

Definitely raw. Your duck vid looks really nice.

Wlad81

Raw takes too many space on HDD. So I have to copy each 128 GB from SD to HDD (WD), open the files with MLV App, grade them, then maybe export something short to ProRes 4444, and then upload it to the cloud which gives the internet provider (per 1 TB per month, practically unlimited, speed is 100 Mb/s each direction) and delete from the HDD to free the space. The next day the story repeats. I don't know how many space would it take in the cloud, but, IMHO, it would be 15 or 20 TB. I don't know how am I to download it again and where am I to keep it. But the quality is so great that total file size is not the question. It is not that razor sharp as the duck vid, by the way, because I have to shoot in the crop mode using the long focal lengths. I have Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS STM lens, and it gives approximately 200-230 mm in the crop mode. I'm standing by the bridge (another one, there are many bridges out there), and the river floats in front of me in the lowland. So, this is an elevation, where I'm shooting from, and the construction is 200-250 meters from me and is at the lower place than that where I stand, so that I can see everything in full view.

Maybe I should use lower resolution - say, 1760x990?

OlRivrRat

IMHO RAW is Highly Overrated > Really only helpful if the scene is extremely contrasty or if You are wanting to do some extreme color grading or You just like to Feel Like You are In Control ~
   It seems especially silly if You need to shoot @ Lower Res for some reason ~ Low Res is Low Res & Upscaling just produces a High Res version of a Low Res Original Image ~
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

IDA_ML

Quote from: OlRivrRat on May 12, 2020, 05:24:14 PM
   IMHO RAW is Highly Overrated > Really only helpful if the scene is extremely contrasty or if You are wanting to do some extreme color grading or You just like to Feel Like You are In Control ~
   It seems especially silly if You need to shoot @ Lower Res for some reason ~ Low Res is Low Res & Upscaling just produces a High Res version of a Low Res Original Image ~

After so many years with ML on the 100D, I am really surprised to hear that from you, OlRivrRat.  If you need low resolution, instead of filming at the low resolution, why don't you film in a higher one in RAW and then process and downscale your video to the resolution that you need?  In that way you will enjoy the highest possible quality (finest detail, dynamic range, smooth tone transitions, vibrant colors, etc.) that you can get out of your camera and preserve that quality in your low-res video.  If you don't care about quality or your quality criteria are not up to RAW, you could just use your phone for your videos.

Wlad81

OlRivrRat
You make me wonder, too. Thus writes the man who has 80D, SL1, 5D2, 5DC and 70D, that is 5 (five) cameras, and each camera works with raw video. And to your mind, "RAW is Highly Overrated". "Are you trying to troll?" (c) Walter Schulz.

Look at the duck video. It was shoot in raw. Even not in Full HD. I even didn't try to shoot it in regular H.264. OK, I've tried to use H.264 in another case, even have raised the bitrate up to 1.8x, but the picture quality was mediocre comparable to raw. I'd even say the image quality of H.264 is bad.

nikfreak

Please, accept OlRivrrat's opinion. Everyone's free to use raw recording and think about it what he/she wants. Me for e.g: i don't even use H264. So I also don't care about raw video. But hey, that's me - a photo freak.

Please return to topic.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Walter Schulz

+1
Nobody can or should be forced to use a feature just because it is loved by or essential to another person.

Wlad81

OlRivrRat said raw is highly overrated. But it isn't so.

Walter Schulz

Name the professional productions where ML's raw is involved.
Compare to professional productions where Canon DSLRs in H.264 (with or without ML running) are used.
Summing it up: He has a point.

Wlad81

Well, not ML raw, but as it's known, Canon at last issued 1DX Mark III that is able to shoot 5.5K raw. Of course, this is the professional camera, but Canon has to implement high-speed flash cards to make recording 5.5K raw possible. "Raw video", "Canon" and "photo camera" began to be mentioned together from the time when Trammell Hudson made his firmware for 5D Mk II back in 2009. It took almost 10 years for Canon to make the photo camera that is able to shoot raw video, but they made it at last. It's for a professional camera for now, but who knows what would they do tomorrow. This all means that Canon closely watched ML. There is no other version.

(Horribly sorry for my English, I still cannot master the tenses).

OlRivrRat

@ IDA_ML

It appears as though You missed My Point > I was not defending Low Res Raw, I was saying that if You feel the need to shoot Low Res just so that You can end up with a more reasonably sized Raw File, is the Trade Off Worth It ~ Being able to Record Raw @ 2k or 2.5k or 3k or 4k or 5.5k definitely has some advantages but to Down Res just to Shoot Raw makes No Sense to Me ~
   & With that being said I will also state that probably 99% of what I like to Video comes out Just Fine using Canons Wonderful H264 ~ Again > Only time I see the need for Raw is if the scene has some crazy high contrast or some Color Grading Fancy Dancing is Desired ~

IDA_ML

Wlad81,

You don't have to keep your RAW files.  I assume that your bridge scene has a lot of fine detail.  In that case, your best bet is to film at the highest possible resolution your 100D can deliver at the desired frame rate or film in the anamorphic mode which reduces the size of he RAW files significantly.  In that way you preserve the finest detail of your scene.  Then you can grade the clips in MLVApp and export them to ProRes 422LT.  These files still preserve very high video quality and even tolerate some additional grading but allow you to save a lot of disk space compared to RAW which you then can delete.  Personally, I preserve my RAW originals only of very important videos, otherwise I delete them and just keep the ProRes 422LT ones for my archives.  Video editing of  ProRes 422LT files in Resolve goes very fast too, in case you need your footage for later work.  And finally, if you don't plan to apply any further processing to your footage, you can make a final export to H.265 in MLVApp.  This format provides very compact file sizes.  Also, you don't need to mess around with cloud storage.  Just get yourself a cheap 2 TB USB 3.0 external HDD and you are ready to go.  This is a lot of storage and transfer speeds are excellent!

OlRivrRat,

It is all a question of one's criteria for quality.  You find Canon's H.264 "wonderful", I find it horrible.  This is the reason why I started using ML 8 years ago.  And I never regretted.  Everyone who watches even my earliest RAW videos from that time, is blown away by their quality.

OlRivrRat

@ IDA_ML

"Everyone who watches even my earliest RAW videos from that time, is blown away by their quality."

I Get That ~ I am in no way saying that Raw is bad, Just Seldom Necessary ~

Everyone who views any of My Canon 2k H264 videos from the past 11yrs, seems to love them & certainly there are some Vid's that would possibly have better if they had been recorded @ a Higher Bit Depth ~

But to Me, Quality in Videography & Photography is about the Story & Artistic Value of the Image ~