Canon 100D / SL1

Started by nikfreak, October 19, 2015, 10:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IDA_ML

Quote from: names_are_hard on December 08, 2019, 12:23:54 AM
People don't realise that this is asking for a vast amount of work.  You don't push the Stable button.  It's many many hours of hard work, with no guarantee of success, and almost a guarantee of many frustrating, hard problems to solve.  Since this is a volunteer project that is probably asking someone to devote several months of their spare time.  Per feature.

I think people genuinely don't realise how much they are asking for, so I am not trying to criticise the people asking.  Just trying to explain why it can be annoying for devs :)  You don't know it, but you're actually asking: "Please don't spend any time with your friends and family for the next few months, I want more free stuff"...

Names_are_hard,

You may not know that but Danne and I have been working together for more than a year on improving and refining the latest experimental ML builds for the 100D and the 5D3.  In this process, Danne has provided the coding and I have tested every new release and provided prompt feedback to him so that he knows what is working and what not and what should be fixed or improved.  This has taken him and me countless hours of hard work and exchange of hundreds of personal messages, so I understand very well your words and also know very well what I am talking about and what I ask for.  Yes, there was a lot of frustration on both parts sometimes but I dare say that, thanks to this joint collaborative effort, these two cameras are now the most powerful and reliable ML capable machines after the EOS-M. 

I have been doing this for two reasons:

1) My impression is that developers do not receive enough feedback from users on their latest work.  Sometimes it takes months before a user reports an issue or provides general feedback und this does not only slow down ML development but also demotivates developers to support one camera or another.  A1ex, I can very well understand your frustration in that respect.  So, I thought, if I cannot help with coding, I should at least try to help as best as I can with testing ML on the two cameras that I have access to - the 100D that I own and the 5D3 that I can borrow whenever needed.

2) This one concerns the "Stability button" issue.  What can be more annoying to a videographer than a camera crash in the middle of an important shootout?  You try to change a setting and the camera crashes.  You reinstall the battery and turn the camera on and it crashes again.  You reset the config file, load the modules and adjust settings and after a few more clips, you experience the same crash ... In my experience, the worst thing that can happen to a photographer or a film maker is a camera issue that happens during an important shootout, making it impossile to get the job done.  As I have stated several times in the past, stability issues have been reason number 1 why so many people abandoned ML and transfered to other cameras.  I know, many people will say - you did not pay a penny for using ML, so what are you complaining about?  Well, is that the way how ML should work? I fully agree that there is no such thing as the perfectly stable build.  I also agree that our developers do not have the time and capacity to release a perfectly stable build.  But, I am also convinced that, in a good collaboration between developers and testers, ML can be made stable enough to the extent that users can rely on it to get their filming jobs done.  A perfect example for that is the EOS-M which I had the opportunity to play around with a while ago.   You just turn the camera on, select a setting, push the record button and film right away with no issues at all.    Yes, you may experience a crash or a corrupt frame ocasionally but in the end of the day you know, thanks to ML, your camera has done a great job.  In my understanding, this is how ML should work.  And if it works that way, developers will know that their efforts were not for nothing and will continue enjoying the appreciation of the community.  In that respect, I wish, developers were a little more tolerant and patient with testers even if they sometimes fail to provide all the relevant feedback information.  An insufficient test report is still better than no report at all. 

===================

Since English is not my mother tongue, I am not sure if I expressed my thoughts properly.  If someone felt offended by my words, I appologize for them.

Danne

Quote from: IDA_ML on December 08, 2019, 04:49:21 PM
You may not know that but Danne and I have been working together for more than a year on improving and refining the latest experimental ML builds for the 100D and the 5D3.  In this process, Danne has provided the coding and I have tested every new release and provided prompt feedback to him so that he knows what is working and what not and what should be fixed or improved.  This has taken him and me countless hours of hard work and exchange of hundreds of personal messages, so I understand very well your words and also know very well what I am talking about and what I ask for.  Yes, there was a lot of frustration on both parts sometimes but I dare say that, thanks to this joint collaborative effort, these two cameras are now the most powerful and reliable ML capable machines after the EOS-M. 
I do not know where to begin answering this. Yes, there was a period when I had a lot of time and serving code and builds for you to test but it takes forever working like that. If that is a "collaborative effort" so be it and maybe that´s the reason why you think it´s ok to keep on asking for me to serve you and the so called 100d community with more stable builds. The question is wrong at so many levels so I feel I better leave this camera for someone else to work it. I have a negative interest in this atm. So, let´s all just leave this very unfruitful discussion. Silence is golden.
And please. Don´t take it personal. And do not message me. This place is about fun and developing. It´s for free. Enjoy.

IDA_ML

As I promised, I have now tested the new intervalometer script of the December 7-th build with the idea to use it for time lapse work.  To do that, I strictly followed the instructions from this post:

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg223302#msg223302

After a fresh build install, the camera defaults to the 16:9 anamorphic mode.  Without touching anything, I simply run the script and activate the intervalometer.  Then I select the half shutter trigger.  In that moment, the camera crashes and does not recover even after a battery pull.  Every new restart causes a camera crash.  The only way out of this situation is resetting the config file in photo mode.  After trying this at least 10 times with different crop modes this morning, I gave up. 

Maybe I am doing something wrong, I don't know.  If someone else with a 100D could repeat the test and share their findings here, that would help to understand what is going on.

Fortunately, the 4k 1:1 mode with slow shutter active works just fine with this build.  So I simply calculate the recording time that I need and then I start and stop recording manually. 

Danne

Thanks for feedback on the lua script. Too bad not working properly.
Additional testing from another using would be good too here.

OlRivrRat

@Ida_ML

Sadly have to confirm that I'm getting similar results so have gone back to 25Jul build ~
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

OlRivrRat

@ Dane & Ida_ML & TWeEMBC

Today > a New & Diff' Day ~ Having a bit more time today I decided to get brave & give the

Interval Script another attempt ~ This time I loaded the 7Dec19 Build on 1 of My newer SanDisk

Ex'Pro 95mb/s 128GB SDs & opted to disable AF & Stab' on the EOS 18-200 that is currently on

the SL1 just to eliminate any extra work for the Cam' ~

Set Interval to 4sec, Delay to 4sec & RunTime to 28sec ~

1st attempt @ Triggering via ShutterHalfPress produced only 10X Zoom ~

Attempt to Trigger via Vid' Rec' Button (Just thought I'd give a try) produced "RAW Detect Error" ~

so then (for some reason) I Took Pic' via Full Shutter & then again Attempted to Trigger via Vid' Rec'

Button & this time a seemingly Continuous Rec' occurred ~

A bit Puzzled & Perplexed I went back into ML Menu & decided (maybe by accident) to see what

would happen if I just clicked via "Set Button" with "Run HalfShutter trigger" HighLighted & Voila, an

Interval Sequence Began & completed ~ Have not yet viewed results as My MLV stuff is on another OS

& will have to wait 'til later ~ But @Least for now it seems to be working ~

Additionally > I also tested with Lens AF & Stab' back on & it still seems OK ~   

OlRivrRat

@Ida_ML

You mention over on the EOSM thread that You like to use 2.5Sec for Interval & 0.4Sec for ShutterSpeed

for some T'L's, How/Where do You make these Settings on SL1 when in Movie Mode ~

IDA_ML

Quote from: OlRivrRat on December 13, 2019, 05:25:41 PM
You mention over on the EOSM thread that You like to use 2.5Sec for Interval & 0.4Sec for ShutterSpeed
for some T'L's, How/Where do You make these Settings on SL1 when in Movie Mode ~

1)  In the Crop mode you activate "4k timelapse" and select your fps option (0,4 to 5 fps for 4k and 0,4 to 2 fps for 5k).  You also activate "Slow shutter".  If you don't, your slowest shutter speed will be limited to 1/30 s.

2) In the RAW video mode you turn Sound recording OFF and set your "Resolution" to the desired value.

That's it.  Have fun!

hirez

Hi, I just installed the Dec 7 build and tested the intervolometer script with default setting.  looks to be working great.  This is a great added feature.  I appreciate this work and would love to test any specific feature (any excuse to use my camera and try something new).

One thing, this build seems to default with movie mode and live view on anamorphic crop.  This may be my fault by not resetting things before updating.  even with a config reset it default to this setting.  I am sure It is probably something I have done and carried over from the old build.

Danne

New build:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_100D_2020Jan08.100D101.zip

- Set anamorphic rewired mode to ratios OFF and it records full resolution readout at 12fps (1736x2992)
To be tested...

IDA_ML

Finally found some time to test this new and very welcome 1736x2992 feature on the 100D with the Jan. 08-th 2020 build.  And it works!  By seting 25 fps to ON, I was able to record at up to 16 fps by setting this rate with the FPS override feature.  No corrupt frames.  Just the in-camera playback shows an anamorphic sqweezed preview but we can live with that.  A much more important feature would be "Shutter fine tuning" which allows precise setting the shutter speed at 180 deg.  This allows smooth motion of the moving objects in the footage which is essential when filming at reduced frame rates.  And since FPS override allows also reducing fps well below 12 fps, "Shutter fine tuning" would make it possible to film also time lapse videos at the above resolution in the anamorphic mode which would save a lot of card and disk space.  On the EOS-M this is possible and works very well.  I can go down to 0,544 fps and film at 1,8 s shutter speed.

Thanks.

Danne

New build:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/

- preview anamorphic files with correct ratio using mlv_play.

Shutter fine tuning is already included in 100D builds. Buried under image fine-tuning...

DeafEyeJedi

Thanks for this @Danne and it's definitely going to be tested on my end. Great follow up @IDA_ML!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

IDA_ML

I have now tested the latest January 19-th 100D build and have good news for the 100D users.  The anamorphic mode at 1736x2928 works now and provides correct preview during recording and also when the files are opened in MLVApp.  You need to turn Ratios off for that.  At 12 fps and 10bit lossless recording is continuous and even at 14 fps you get reasonably long recording times.  The videos are practically aliasing free at this resolution, so this mode is perfectly usable for wide angle landscape videography.  The default resolution of 1128x1900 provides continuous recording at 24/25 fps.  Also Shutter fine tuning works quite nicely.  I was able to set 1/28s shutter speed at 14 fps.  Also, Dual ISO works quite nicely with the above anamorphic resolution.

The only thing that does not seem to work is lowering the shutter speed down to 2s when selecting very low fps, (5 to 0,544 fps) which works well for timelapse work.  No matter what I did, I was unable to set shutter speed lower than 1/24 s in the anamorphic mode.  No big deal - low shutter speeds, (down to 2,3s) are still possible with the 4k 1:1 timelapse mode with the Slow shutter option active.  As I stated in my previous post, if low shutter speeds are possible also with the anamorphic mode, this would save a lot of card and disk space with negligible image quality degradation when shooting smooth timelapses in this mode.

Overall, very nice progress with the good old 100D.  Thanks a lot!

Danne

Shutter range needs to be at full range for longer shutter speeds.

IDA_ML

Aha, got it, full range shutter fixed it.  Thanks a lot!  I love my 100D again - another mini Alexa!

canneloni

@Danne thanks for all the work you still put into the 100D

Quote from: IDA_ML on January 26, 2020, 02:46:21 PM
I have now tested the latest January 19-th 100D build and have good news for the 100D users.  The anamorphic mode at 1736x2928 works now and provides correct preview during recording and also when the files are opened in MLVApp.  You need to turn Ratios off for that.  At 12 fps and 10bit lossless recording is continuous and even at 14 fps you get reasonably long recording times.  The videos are practically aliasing free at this resolution, so this mode is perfectly usable for wide angle landscape videography.  The default resolution of 1128x1900 provides continuous recording at 24/25 fps.  Also Shutter fine tuning works quite nicely.  I was able to set 1/28s shutter speed at 14 fps.  Also, Dual ISO works quite nicely with the above anamorphic resolution.

Do you mean correct framing in general or correct real time preview like the eosm ? Becaus I don't seem to get that to work for me.
100D.100B ; Canon 18-55 STM ; Canon 50 1,8 II ; Canon 75-300 4,0 - 5,6 III ; Sigma 17-50 2,8

IDA_ML

I mean both: correct live preview and correct framing during recording - just like the EOS-M.  Just set preview to Frozen LV and you are good to go.

canneloni

Honestly I have absolutely no clue how you get this to work. Would you mind uploading your settings?

Here are mine
100D.100B ; Canon 18-55 STM ; Canon 50 1,8 II ; Canon 75-300 4,0 - 5,6 III ; Sigma 17-50 2,8

IDA_ML

My settings are the same as yours, except that I set bit depth to 10 bits for longer recording times.  Check Focus aid and turn it off if you use an AF lens. 

Wlad81

I still have focus pixels. 100D 1.01, the latest January 19-th 100D build, 3x crop mode, 1736x936. I'm using MLVApp, set Fix Focus Dots to CropRec with any interpolation method - no use.
Canon EOS 5D Mk III + Canon 24-105 F/4 L IS USM + SanDisk Exreme Pro 64 GB (SD, ML Nightly.2021Feb07.5D3113) + SanDisk Extreme Pro 128 GB (CF).

masc

Quote from: Wlad81 on March 21, 2020, 10:10:21 PM
I still have focus pixels. 100D 1.01, the latest January 19-th 100D build, 3x crop mode, 1736x936. I'm using MLVApp, set Fix Focus Dots to CropRec with any interpolation method - no use.
Have you read the manual? Have you installed the right focus pixel maps?
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

iliush

@Wlad81 I have a similar situation, but in specific condition and with deferent results. It is not just my observation that MLVApp is not running perfectly on windows (I don't know how it's run on other... ). In my case the app in Windows 10, aply the fix in app, but don't do the same for exported frames , and just for some extensions (I don't try all), for example the 4444 Pro res in Windows 10 export just fine., in Windows 7 on my pc, Pro res 4444 don't export at all, but export other just fine...
So my advice for you, try the app on another pc, you will have a surprise. I am not very good on this, but you can try on your pc to run a Linux in virtual machine, and there run the MLVApp?
I hope you find a way...

masc

Quote from: iliush on March 21, 2020, 11:33:42 PM
It is not just my observation that MLVApp is not running perfectly on windows (I don't know how it's run on other... ).
Aha, very interesting. Very strange that nobody reports such issues (whether in the MLVApp thread, nor in the issue section on github).
Quote from: iliush on March 21, 2020, 11:33:42 PM
In my case the app in Windows 10, aply the fix in app, but don't do the same for exported frames , and just for some extensions (I don't try all), for example the 4444 Pro res in Windows 10 export just fine., in Windows 7 on my pc, Pro res 4444 don't export at all, but export other just fine...
First: if the fix works in the app, it MUST work also for the export. Why? There is just one processing pipeline! So the pipeline is always identical. If you have the dots in the exported clip, you'll have it also in the Apps viewer!
Then: if it works for ProRes4444, then it works for all ffmpeg based codecs. Why? There is just one pipeline! So the pipeline is identical. If you have no dots in one ffmpeg codec, you won't have it in any other.
And: I doubt you can export all codecs but ProRes. ffmpeg is always the same. It is tested successfully on so many machines. It must be something different. Maybe you're not able to playback the file... that is an issue of your installed players.

If you have an issue: please report the issue with a detailed description. Not here, but in the MLVApp thread or in the issue section on github. Only this can help to make it better. No report - no fix. Very easy.

P.S.: The linux version also uses the identical codebase. ;) But on linux you'll have it harder to fix focus dots then on Win or OSX. Why? You'll have to compile the app yourself or to extract and install the appimage manually to your system before being able to install anything (you can't write map files into a read-only archive).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Wlad81

I've applied "Fix Focus Dots" (method 2), "Fix Bad Pixels" (Force, Agressive, 3), and, what's most important, "Chroma Smooth" to 3x3. All the focus and the bad pixels had completely gone, and the clarity is not affected.

OK, I've done it, it works. Now I've got working "mini-Alexa", I even can shoot 12 bit lossless at almost 1080. But, maybe, 50D or EOS M is better, who knows.

The only thing that disturbs me is the overheating of the SD card. I've just tested my Transcend SDXC I U3 128 GB using 3x crop mode, 11 bit lossless, 1736x936 for 5 minutes, and when I got the card off the camera, the card was very hot.
Canon EOS 5D Mk III + Canon 24-105 F/4 L IS USM + SanDisk Exreme Pro 64 GB (SD, ML Nightly.2021Feb07.5D3113) + SanDisk Extreme Pro 128 GB (CF).