Canon 100D / SL1

Started by nikfreak, October 19, 2015, 10:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

From now on I will not answer anything that isn't backed up with a recorded video containing every step you do on your camera. Sorry, but not once did anything got solved on your end.
Others, feel free to help out if you see any answers I missed.

OlRivrRat

@ Danne

What's the problem ? Just followed Your instructions I think. How about I not bother

to waste My time testing & reporting back to You without You providing a recorded video

containing every step you do on your camera. Or @Least a set of Complete instructions on

how to properly use that which You are developing ~

I'm guessing that I am to assume from Your Sudden Snarkiness that there is something

not right about the Res of 1736x726 being indicated in "Raw video" with 2.39:1 chosen ~
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

Danne

Quote from: OlRivrRat on June 27, 2019, 11:23:16 PM
           @Danne

What Res should be indicated in "Raw video" with 2.39:1 chosen ?

I'm seeing 1736x726 ~
You have clear instructions yet you do not follow them? Why are you messing with setting 2.39:1 for instance?
From my later messages I created 4 steps for you:

Anyway. Do following:
1 - Enable following modules:
crop_rec.mo
mlv_lite.mo
lua.mo
sd_uhs.mo
mlv_play.mo
2 - restart camera and enter movie mode
3 - Enable mlv_lite then run the lua script calle cinema 2.39:1
4 - Record with this anamorphic mode. If more or less continuos I gurantee sd_uhs patch is working

Follow these 4 steps and you should be fine. If not regs are applied or something looks wonky you know what to do. A vid of your exact steps. Cannot follow otherwise.

And as always an menu button press will never hurt...

OlRivrRat

@Danne

I am trying to follow Your instructions as closely as I can ~

I am now using 27Jun19 Build ~

"1 - Enable following modules:
crop_rec.mo
mlv_lite.mo
lua.mo
sd_uhs.mo
mlv_play.mo"

Done

"2 - restart camera and enter movie mode"

Done

'3 - Enable mlv_lite"

"RAW video" (Can Only Assume that that is what You are Referring To) Is Already Enabled & shows
      ON, 1736x1160 1:61x with an AR of "1:2 almost 3:2" not 2.39:1 (only checked this out of curiosity, did not alter)

"then run the lua script calle cinema 2.39:1"

Done, I Think > don't see reference to "calle" anywhere ~ & nothing seems to change under Movie Menu

"4 - Record with this anamorphic mode. If more or less continuos I gurantee sd_uhs patch is working"

Done, I Think > Do get Apparent Continuous Rec so agree that sd_uhs is working

but results do not appear to be anamorphic > are they suppose to or not ~

Danne

calle is a typo. Should be "called"
mlv_lite is RAW video.

Follow up:
1 - Upload a short sample of what you are recording or
2 - open up the file in Mlv App and export a frame, png or dng and upload it or
3 - preferable record a video of your steps here

You should see 1456x1828 as resolution under RAW video. If not. Press canon menu until it does. Or even restart camera. But only restart. No need to run the lua script more than once. Also. If screen turns black in anamorphic mode. A menu button is all it takes to get back in that mostly. A bit buggy but that´s how it goes.

Anamorphic means in this case that your mlv will be upsampled in Mlv App to 4368×1828.

Please. If all this fails for you I do need a recording of all your steps. Impossible to help otherwise.

EDIT: Uploaded a version which will work better when restarting camera. It should always land on the correct preset.

hirez

I have been testing the raw crop modes. On the latest crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2019Jun14.100D101

I have a few issues:
First I have a little trouble understanding the menus.  I set the crop mode but don't get the resolution I want.
I was able to get a nearly continuous recording at [email protected], 12bits lossless.
However I have not been able to duplicate the setting.

Trying to figure things out I have found that if preview is set to framing (which I thought was recommended) then things go buggy. If set to real time things seem better but without full frame view of course.
Sometimes also the crop menu goes gray and i cant change things. Sometimes i can change crop modes but then can not change resolution in the raw settings. A camera reset seems to help.

I have also found that my 100MB/s card will only sustain 20MB/s or so for the first few minutes then it goes up to around 40MB/s (the theoretical max if I am not mistaken).

After a few more attempts I have found after warming up I can sustain 2528x1090 ,9bit.

So I am just reporting my experience now.  If anyone can verify or clarify any of the above that would be appreciated.

I apologize if any of this is already covered.  I have not had a lot of play/test time with the camera, but I have been shooting video with it for a few months now and am just finding the time to realize the benefit of raw and the MLVapp (which seems to be pretty fantastic after a handful of test video.

One question: is there no possibility to get say 2592x1152 with a 2x3 binning?

Danne

100D is a bit buggy. 10bit is recommended. Keep on testing out. Best way to learn your machine.

OlRivrRat

@HiRez

Just so Ya Know ~ There have been 5 UpDates since

"crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2019Jun14.100D101"

with the latest being Jun28 ~

hirez

5 updates!
,sorry hadn't noticed. They don't always come so quickly :) and was busy testing my "latest" b where I started playing around. I am getting good results so I see about testing June 28.

I will add... I get a LOT of noise, vertical stripes when shooting 2.5k @400 iso. Is that normal or to be expected?

Danne

New version:

- x10 zoom aid same as for EOSM is working for 100D:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg218531#msg218531

No time to compile and maintain new builds atm but compiling latest version can be done from this branch:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/branch/crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets

hirez

I have a beginner question.  I have played around mostly with video on this camera but I just tried to use a external flash trigger and I could not get the flash to fire. Works perfectly fine on my other camera.  Is there a limitation on this camera, and if so is there a fix within magic lantern?

OlRivrRat

"compiling latest version can be done from this branch:"

That might be true for those among us here that know how to compile ~

I don't happen to be one of those ~ Looked @ the Branch page & nothing there makes any sense to me ~

But it probably doesn't matter as even if I were able to figure out how to compile something I suspect that

I would not trust My results ~

Danne

New upload:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16040.msg208816#msg208816

- x10zoom aid
- Better centered x3crop mode preset in crop_rec code

I will not have too much time pushing these builds. I can do it from time to time but I will focus on eosm with the little time I got for this now.
There are so good tutorials from dfort and others both on compiling and how to work with bitbucket etc...

Danne

hirez

The file for EOS M should work with 100D as well, or am I missing a link somewhere?

I tried the new build (crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets) Built on 2019-06-28
The camera never went continuous with 2.5K and eventually started crashing constantly.  I went back to Jun14 and everything works again.
I really have to "warm up" the SD card for several minutes and failed continuous, but eventually I get continuous recording with 2.5K.
Is it expected to have very noisy video, or do I need to mind my exposure and MLV post?

hirez

Quote from: Danne on July 13, 2019, 12:09:19 PM
New build for 100D. Same goes like here:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg218622#msg218622

This takes my to EOS M.  The latest 100D I find is June26? Is that right?

hirez

My crash log states june28, not sure where/how I have that. Its not in my build folder. Might explain the crashing. Will go back to june25 and test again.
Is Autofocus usable? When I have autofosus on the camera does not always perform as expected and the raw video is littered with green pixels.  They are removed with focus pixel filter, bad pixel filter, and chroma3x3 all on.  But quality is noticeably less.   

Danne

Please use july 25th.

iliush

I succeed to install July 25 on my SL1. After some manipulations, especially with crope mode, seems to have some crashe logs, 1 freeze and even a error 70. I will explore to be sure in which specific situation it happens.
Can I install another build on another card, and alternate them for a better comparison on the same camera?

OlRivrRat

@ Iliush

"Can I install another build on another card, and alternate them for a better comparison on the same camera?"

Yes & infact You can keep multiple versions on the same card > Just create a Folder/Directory in

which to "Hide" the Version/s not being used ~

IDA_ML

Yesterday, I took the 100D with me on an important shoot out.  The latest July 25-th build works nicely with MF vintage lenses, so I decided to give the 100D a chance.  Everything worked fine until the moment I decided to put the EFs 10-18 STM lens on it for a few high-qualty wide angle shots in the 2520x1418 crop mode.  And this is where things got totally messed up.  As long as the preview appears on the screen, camera crashes.  A battery pull does not help at all.  When camera is turned on in Movie mode, camera crashes again and again.  The crash appears in all 1x1 crop modes with all AF lenses that I had available, including the EF 35/F2 IS.  Resetting Config and reformatting the card did not help either.  My settings were:

Bit rate: 10 bits lossless
Ratios: 16:9
Resolution: 2320x1306.  Tried lowering it but this did not resolve the bug.
Preview: Framing. Tried Real time and Frozen LV too but to no avail.
FPS override: OFF

This bug seems to be reproducible with an AF lens even if you switch it to MF.  The only way out of it is, after a battery pull, to turn camera on in photo mode and switch Crop mode off, then select anamorphic or mv1080p and continue working with them.  These modes work fine.

Can someone with a 100D please try and reproduce the above bug?  I want to see if others also experience it or is it just me.  If it is just me, I would like to know what am I doing wrong.

Thanks.

OlRivrRat

@IDA_ML

My SL1 spends the vast majority of Its life behind the EFs 10-18 &

is usually quite happy there ~

Due to lack of info, By the time I had Stumbled into the area where

it seemed that Your "settings" would apply I was out of time to do much

testing but it does appear as though, If I have the "settings" correct, I am

getting similar results ~ I did not have time to test any other Lens ~

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Danne on June 27, 2019, 10:41:40 PM
Finally  :o :P ;)

Hooooooraaaaay @OlRivrRat!!!  :o  8)

Quote from: Danne on July 12, 2019, 09:30:40 AM
I will not have too much time pushing these builds. I can do it from time to time but I will focus on eosm with the little time I got for this now.
There are so good tutorials from dfort and others both on compiling and how to work with bitbucket etc...

Thanks so much for this. Will definitely add this branch and most definitely will rephrase these awesome tutorials from @dfort along w your scripting magic @Danne!  ;)

Quote from: IDA_ML on August 06, 2019, 09:21:18 AM
Can someone with a 100D please try and reproduce the above bug?  I want to see if others also experience it or is it just me.  If it is just me, I would like to know what am I doing wrong.

That's gotta be rather frustrating. Has anyone else tried this yet? I'll see if I can find time to grab my 100D and test this out to see if it's reproducible.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

canneloni

Hey Guys, I ran into a strange error today. I recently got two old pentax k-mount lenses and I just got an adapter to use them on my 100D. If I record a raw clip with it and try to play it back in camera the camera sort of freezes and I don't see the clip. I can, however, play it back with the file manager when I select it. If I record a normal clip with a native lens afterwards I can't play the new clip back either.

The other problem I ran into is this: When I use crop_rec or rather, when I try to enter movie mode with the manual lens on, the camera completely shuts down or sometimes shows error 70.

I'm currently on vacation so I don't have much time to test it further.

Btw: I used a build I compiled from Dannes repo on Sept. 5th.
100D.100B ; Canon 18-55 STM ; Canon 50 1,8 II ; Canon 75-300 4,0 - 5,6 III ; Sigma 17-50 2,8