Canon 100D / SL1

Started by nikfreak, October 19, 2015, 10:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Quote from: IDA_ML on June 27, 2018, 05:23:56 PM
OK, thanks, Bilal.  I have edited my post.

Have you got an idea why the 100D produces corrupt frames while the EOS-M works perfectly fine at 2520x1304 resolution?
It does? Last I tried it was 14bit-lossless ftw...

IDA_ML

For those who may be interested in the 2520x1304 resolution, I edited my post 1417 adding some more useful information. 

IDA_ML

I have got some more exciting news for all 100D ML users. 

As reported in my post #1417, even with SD-card overclocking, the record times at the 2520x1304 resolution and 24 fps are too short to be usable in practical video filming, especially when sound is activated.  Well, do we really need this 24 frame rate at this resolution?  It makes sence mainly for wide angle and landscape video shots with a lot of fine detail where this resolution provides very high quality video.  What if we film such high-resolution videos at a lower frame rate?  And the good news is that it works with Danne's "magiclantern-Nightly.2018Jun16.100D101_2.5k" build. 

All you need to do is to change frame rate from 24 to 18 fps after running the helper script in step 3) (see post #1417). With SD-overclocking, at 18 fps, 14-bit loosless, 2520x1304 resolution and sound activated, recording is CONTINUOUS! A sound sync test showed perfect synchronicity between video and sound.  I shot several landscape clips with these settings and created a 2 min. long test video which you can download in the next 7 days from here:

https://we.tl/1MZVexsbjw

I used the simplest possible workflow:

- converting to virtual cDNG with MLVFS;
- Opening in DaVinci Resolve, editing, mounting and basic adjustments in the Camera RAW module;
- Export into H.264 in the original resolution and frame rate.

The above file is about 480 MB in size.  The reason why the video is so long is that I wanted you to gain an impression on how 18 fps footage and the motion in it look like when shot at different angles and from various perspectives.

Sorry about the focus dots.  Keeping in mind this very exciting 4K-crop development on the Canon Rebels, I guess, we will need updated focus pixel maps very soon!

Danne

IDA_ML

Danne,

Unfortunately, the build that you just posted does not work here.  No matter what I did, I was unable to start RAW recording at resolutions higher than 2520x1072 on the 100D.  Eventhough I got the correct resolutions indicated on the screen, when I press the record button, just the built in H.264 video starts. 

With your old 4K build from June 16, the high resolution works just fine after the helper script is executed.  I get CONTINUOUS recording at 4056x2552 resolution and 6 fps.  This turns my 100D into the perfect timelapse machine - well, almost, since the scrambled Life View makes correct metering and focusing a pain.

Danne

Thanks for testing. It works here. Make sure you enable crop_rec.mo and that RAW video is also enabled. Set aspect ratio to roof about 4096 t make sure you get up there at the top.

IDA_ML

And finally, my dream come true - smooth 4K RAW timelapse video with the 100D !!!

https://we.tl/yENiVD9KrJ

It was shot at 2 and 6 fps a few hours ago with Danne's build called:

"magiclantern-Nightly.2018Jun16.100D101_4k.zip"

This build allows continuous recording at 4056x2552 resolution and 6 fps.  The frame rate of 2 fps seems to be a good compromise between fast moving objects (cars) and slow moving ones (clouds). 

To keep the file size low (206 MB), I have reduced it to my screen resolution (2560x1600) and exported in MPEG-4.
Sorry about the focus pixels.

Danne

Holy shit. That footage looks so crisp and clear. You could try cs2x2 to remove those focus pixels. Also think @dfort would like a few frames of that MLV file in this thread:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16054.msg203367;topicseen#msg203367
Thanks for posting.

IDA_ML

Quote from: Danne on July 01, 2018, 12:59:52 AM
Holy shit. That footage looks so crisp and clear. You could try cs2x2 to remove those focus pixels.

You should see the footage from the 7D.  Not only is it crisp and clear but it also has this increadible filmic look to it.  For 4K-timelapses I use the old classical silent module on the 7D which, unfortunately, causes some choppyness due to some dead time between the frames.

By the way, is there a ML tool for Windows, (like MLV_dump or similar) that can apply cs2x2 or 3x3 to a batch of MLV files, including 4K ones?  I tried to use MLVApp's chroma smoothing feature and it really kills the focus pixels but export is so painfully slow that I gave up.   

Danne

Test batch_mlv for exporting.

IDA_ML

Danne,

You seem to have fixed your build:

https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-Nightly.2018Jun30.100D101_2K-3K-4K.zip

and it works amazingly well now, more stable than I expected.  Even Life View works with the 2,5K version and I get continuous recording at 2520x1304 resolution with sound at 18 fps.  Also, in-camera playback works very well.  We still need the RAW-histogram visualized on the screen for more precise metering and WySiWyG preview for precise framing during filming but I guess, these things will be fixed.

You seem to have gotten even 8 ... 11 bits lossless almost working !!! I get CONTINUOUS recording at 2520x1304 resolution and 23 fps with every second frame corrupt.  Even 24 fps works for a few seconds.  You seem to be very close to getting lossless at reduced bitrate working!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Bilal and Danne,   

You are real ML wizards! Thank you so much for this spectacular progress in porting 4K-crop recording to our Rebel cameras!  And keep up this amazing work!

=======================================

I strongly encourage all 100D users to test the above build and share their findings here.  Not only will this help our developers but also playing around with this build is a lot of fun!  I am sure, you will not regret.

OlRivrRat

What must I be doing Wrong > Not working for Me > Live View Scrambled & Stuck in 1X

If I go to L'V' in Stills Mode before going to Movie mode L'V' is Blown out to White
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

Danne

zoom into x5 manually

OlRivrRat

It Won't let Me. Is what I meant by Stuck > Can't be altered Up or Down.

Danne

Press info button and do it from screen(magnifier symbol)?

OlRivrRat

That worked but 4056x2552 won't Rec even @ 6FPS, 3096x1320 will Rec Cont' @ 6FPS & Playback in Cam'.

OlRivrRat

Also unable to get anymore than 10FPS to Rec in 2520x1304

IDA_ML

Quote from: OlRivrRat on July 02, 2018, 02:25:08 AM
Also unable to get anymore than 10FPS to Rec in 2520x1304

It's probably your card.  Mine is the 64 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro/95 MB/s.  I get stable CONTINUOUS recording with sinchronous sound at 18 fps at that 2520x1304 resolution as well as 2096x1180@24 fps. Not a single corrupt frame!  The speed indicator in the upper right corner indicates 60,5 MB/s write speed during recording.

If Danne could add his marvelous WySiWyG preview and RAW-histogram to this mode, it will be ready for serious work. 

Danne

If Danne could add his marvelous WySiWyG preview and RAW-histogram to this mode, it will be ready for serious work. 
Actually, you can enable global draw and select any preview mode(Framing, real-time etc) and get slow preview now. This was problematic with adtg_gui but should work fine now.
eh, not my preview work. A1ex is the one to thank here  :P

IDA_ML

Thanks, Danne!  I will give it a try.

And thank you, A1ex for this excellent preview option!  Please be informed that, although it is slow, it works very well and is perfectly usable in practical video shooting.  Correct framing during filming is invaluable!

Danne

@IDA_ML
If you have the time could you test a workflow I use with a mlv_dump version I built with bouncyball long time ago which works with pixel map files added together with the MLV footage. This particular allbadpixels.map file works specific with 2.5k footage coming from eos 100D. The coordinates are created in ImageJ(https://imagej.nih.gov/ij/):

Before

after

Howto:
Download mlv_dump.exe and the allbadpixels.map file from here:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/2.5k_100D.zip

1 - In a folder place a 2.5k(2520x1304) MLV file which you see focus pixels on.
2 - In the same folder place the allbadpixels.map file and the version of mlv_dump.exe
3 - Open up cmd.exe and see to it that you are inside you´re folder in cmd prompt
4 - Now extract your dng files with command:
mlv_dump --dng INPUT.MLV

Change INPUT.MLV to your specific 2.5k file that you want to clean from focus dots.

A similar map can be created for 4k version etc. Of course this is not very practical atm. Inegrated in Switch but not really for windows. Maybe it works in batch_mlv if you place it next to the mlv_dump version in there, didn´t test. If you could test that aswell it would be good.

masc

@Danne: is there a way to convert the .map file to .fpm (FocusPixelMap)? If I look into these files it looks not so different, .map has just a 0 in the end of each line. The point: .fpm is supported by MLVApp. On windows just copy the fpm next to the exe, on OSX copy it to MLVApp.app/Contents/MacOS/ , then restart the app. The name of the map must be (if I remember right) camID_width_height.fpm (e.g. 80000331_1872x1059.fpm). Then focus pixel removal should work for this camera and this resolution in MLVApp, what should look way better than chroma smoothing and what should be way faster too.

Edit: could you please try out if that works? Just deleted the "0" in the file and renamed it...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ff3hzq5h1f7nwii/0x80000346_2520_1304.fpm?dl=0
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

IDA_ML

Thanks Danne,

I will check it out as soon as I get back from work.

OlRivrRat

@ IDA_ML

I am using that same SDCard > Guessing it's something I don't have set correctly.

OlRivrRat

Just tried erasing SD + ML Reinstall & Still unable to get anymore than 10FPS to Rec in 2520x1304.

Also Do Not Get any "speed indicator in the upper right corner ... during recording."