Canon 100D / SL1

Started by nikfreak, October 19, 2015, 10:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlRivrRat

@ Danne & WeIMC

DownLoaded Your Latest >

magiclantern-Nightly.2018Apr27.100D101_160MHZ_45fps

Am now getting "continuous" 2520x1080 @ 24FPS > stopped @ 2Min's to write this. Yea! & Thanks a Bunch!
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

Danne

Thanks for feedback, not sure what was going on with the former build but I advice anyone using it to replace with this.
Note, only tested on sd 95mb/s card.

IDA_ML

Quote from: Walter Schulz on April 26, 2018, 11:22:13 PM
Thanks! Looks much better now.

Nichts zu danken, Walter.  Ich freue mich, Sie haben es hingekriegt. :-)))

Danne, thank you so much for your continued work on the OC feature.  I greatly appreciate that.  Will test your latest build as soon as possible. 

I have also tested 14-bit lossless at 2520x1080/24 fps with the April 20-th build.  With a normally lit scene, without too much bright areas in it, I get continuous recording with the timer icon flashing between orange and green.  As long as I point the camera to very bright areas, the icon turns red which is a warning that recording will stop soon.  This is a very cool feature indicating that even 14-bit lossless is perfectly usable for continuous recording as long as the scene is properly lit and exposed.  I still can't belive the 100D can do that!  It's insane!

IDA_ML

Quote from: Danne on April 27, 2018, 05:50:19 AM
Beware the 160mhz hardcoded setting. I have no idea how this version will affect slower cards. In other words, Risky business.

Danne, could you possibly describe in more detail what are the risks involved?  This is important since it may hint people on how to protect their cameras, cards and data.

Danne

There are more options here. Check the sd_uhs thread for more info. I have very little insights what´s going on here. I simply checked and compiled other peoples efforts. Anyway. I tested against a slower SD card and it seemed it simple skiped memory patching so maybe nothing happens at all when slower cards are used in this case.

IDA_ML

Here is a test video that I shot about a week ago on my way to work with the April 18-th build from Danne which contains the sd_uhs overclocking module.  The test was shot in the RAW video mode with sound enabled, at 2520x1080 resolution, 24 fps, with 8...11 bit lossless compression.  You can get about 20 minutes of footage on a 64 GB card at that resolution.  The subway clips were shot at ISO 400 and 800, the rest at ISO 100.  Video editing was performed in the Camera RAW module of DaVinci Resolve 14.2 Lite with final export in MPEG4 at the original resolution.

Enjoy!

https://vimeo.com/266871797

OlRivrRat

@ Danne & WeIMC

"magiclantern-Nightly.2018Apr21.100D101_sd_uhs_hardcoded_160mhrz_45fps"

Is working Just Fine for Me Now that I have figured out the Missing "Detail" ie "FPS Override".

With FPSO on & set to 24FPS, can get continuous 2520x1080 @ 24FPS > stopped @ 1Min to write this.

OlRivrRat

@ WeIMC

Link to "Settings" that made "Continuous" 2520x1080 @ 24FPS possible on My SL1 >

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2z86zlffe2f8tcr/SETTINGS.zip?dl=0

Just DownLoad, UnZip & copy to "ML" folder on SD Card ~

Using >

"magiclantern-Nightly.2018Apr27.100D101_160MHZ_45fps"

Also works with >

"magiclantern-Nightly.2018Apr21.100D101_sd_uhs_hardcoded_160mhrz_45fps"

IDA_ML

OK, I have now performed several tests on the 100D using the latest April 27-th build that I found in Danne's repository.  I used the SanDisk Extreme Pro 64 GB/95MB/s card, with the preview mode set on Auto which provides normal Live View and allows good framing.  Here is some feedback:

1) In the RAW video mode, at 24 and 30fps, the build is as stable as the April 20-th build discussed above (see download link in my post #1221).  The camera performs very well in the Normal uncropped, 5x-magnification and Movie Crop modes and provides continuous recording with the 8...11 bit and 12 bit lossless compression, even at the maximum 2520x1080 resolution.  No glitches and no corrupt frames.

2) At 42 fps operation is not so stable.  In the normal uncropped mode, at 1736x976 resolution, sometimes I get clips without a single corrupt frame, sometimes there are a few corrupt frames.  Mostly, corrupt frames occur after I have changed some settings (ISO, Normal to Movie Crop Mode and back, etc.)  In the Movie Crop Mode, except for corrupt frames, I get lots of malloc error messages running through the screen during recording.  These disapper only after a battery pull.

BAD NEWS:
==========

3) In the Normal uncropped mode,  there is a serious exposure problem when frame rate is changed from 24 to 42 fps.  The screen gets dark and this makes framing and subject tracking impossible.  Exposure reduction by about one stop would be normal since the shutter speed increases from 1/50-th to 1/84-th of a second due to the higher frame rate.  However, this is not the case.  I need to increase the exposure by almost 4 stops to get the clip properly exposed.  This makes indoor shots almost impossible since the ISO has to be boosted to 3200, even 6400 to obtain correct exposure.  In that case, clips get quite noisy.  I hope, this can be fixed.  Interestingly, this exposure bug does not occur in the 5x-magnification mode where exposure is perfectly normal.  In that  mode, I get 44-47 frames recorded at 2520x1080 resolution at 12 bit lossless and the maximum frame rate of 36,572 fps.

4) As seen in previous builds, the shutter speed cannot be invreased above 1/50-th of a sec.  This causes screen flicker which makes recording impossible.

5) In an attempt to increase recording time at 42 and 30 fps, I tried the "Frozen LV" preview function.  Unfortunately, this preview is broken, error messages run all over the screen during recording and I get corrupt frames.

---------------------

I hope, it will be possible to iron out the above problems, so users can benefit from the full potential of the fantastic overclocking feature on the 100D and the other cameras that support it.

IDA_ML

I have just checked to see if the infrared remote control bug on the 100D, from my post #1213 exists on the EOS 7D which I also have.  The answer is NO.  Start and Stop ML RAW video recording with the infrared RC1 remote controler works just fine on the 7D in both - the Normal uncroped and the 5x-magnification modes.  I used the December 1, 2016 build for that 7D test.  Quite obviously, the bug needs a fix for the 100D. Maybe, someone else with a different Rebel model could check and see if that is the case with his camera. 

Walter Schulz

api_test.lua not completing on 100D with EF-S 10-18 IS. No problem with EF 50/1.8 STM.

Tullen

Would you say that the 100D is a good upgrade from the 50D? Pros and cons?

Walter Schulz

Pros:
Size
Weight
Support for RT flash enhancements (5 groups, ...)
Price: Below 200€ in mint condition

Cons:
Size (if your hands are not that small and especially with big/heavy lenses)
Buttons missing, no dial on back -> ergonomics ...
Battery capacity is a bad joke
AF not state-of-the-art with non-STM lenses

YMMV. I have a little problem seeing it as upgrade. More of a replacement: If you're looking for a smaller cam and don't mind changing/recharging batteries a lot ...

Danne

With lossless capabilities, sd_uhs module, small size makes the cam a pure joy to use. Nikfreak did a good job porting.

Tullen

Quote from: Walter Schulz on May 15, 2018, 08:37:27 PM
Pros:
Size
Weight
Support for RT flash enhancements (5 groups, ...)
Price: Below 200€ in mint condition

Cons:
Size (if your hands are not that small and especially with big/heavy lenses)
Buttons missing, no dial on back -> ergonomics ...
Battery capacity is a bad joke
AF not state-of-the-art with non-STM lenses

YMMV. I have a little problem seeing it as upgrade. More of a replacement: If you're looking for a smaller cam and don't mind changing/recharging batteries a lot ...

Thank you. What about video capability and features?  2520x1080 resolution at 12 bit lossless and audio seems better than the 50D right? Any other technical specs worth considering?

Danne

IDA_ML is one guy to follow when it comes to the 100D.
50D seems a nice camera too but audio missing right?

IDA_ML

Quote from: Danne on May 15, 2018, 08:47:45 PM
With lossless capabilities, sd_uhs module, small size makes the cam a pure joy to use. Nikfreak did a good job porting.

Absolutely!  It is amazing to see how stable the camera is in the 2520x1080 resolution mode, as long as you do not switch too often between modes, of course.

As far as batteries are concerned, its not all that bad.  I usually take 4 fully charged cheap replacement batteries with me when I go on a video recording trip and those are enough for a full day of video recording (more than 100 GB of losslessly compressed 8 ... 11bit RAW footage).  Sofar, I have never needed more than 3 of the 4 batteries for that.  If I shoot the same amount of footage on my 7D, it takes two fully charged batteries for that.  Of course, the batteries should be good and not at the end of their life cycle where increased internal resistance starts causing problems.

u4ia24

I don't have my 100D with me right now because I moved houses but can anyone with the SD overclock test what's the highest resolution for 4:3 anamorphic continuous recording?

I dont really need RAW because of the additional work in post but since changing resolution is not possible for h264 then the lowest RAW bit depth is okay. I just need the higest resolution for continuous 4:3 anamorphic on the 100D.
100D/100A

vfxstu

I found Danne's bitbucket repository (https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/) but I do not see the more stable April20th build.

I'm currently running the April 27th build, but I can't seem to figure out how to get my resolution above 1736x976 (16:9) or 1736x736 (2.35:1).

I have the sd_uhs module enabled. What am I missing to get it up to 2520x1080? I tried loading OlRivrRat settings he made available and got the same results.

Im using a PNY 64bg 95mb/s sd card.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: vfxstu on May 22, 2018, 12:00:56 AMWhat am I missing to get it up to 2520x1080?

Pressing loupe/magnify button once to enter crop mode.

Ceterum censeo experimental build page esse delendam.

wety67e

Hi
but the 2520x1080 resolution is native crop 1.6x or 5x?

Excuse my English  :(

Walter Schulz

"Native crop": Unfamiliar with this term. Not sure what you are asking.

To enter crop mode in movie mode you have to press loupe/magnify button twice.
After this you can change crop area (=resolution).

Ceterum censeo experimental build page esse delendam.

OlRivrRat

On My 100D I need to press Loupe/Mag' Button Twice to get to 5x

Walter Schulz

Thanks, corrected my post.

OlRivrRat

@u4ia24

Changes to Aspect seems to not give normal expected results > Every setting DownList

from 2.20:1 gives 2520x1080.