Canon 100D / SL1

Started by nikfreak, October 19, 2015, 10:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IDA_ML

Thanks a lot for this highly useful information, A1ex.  This explains my observations.  Now I am pretty confident with shooting video at high ISOs whenever I don't have any other choice.  In my experience, it is better to lose some dynamic range than ruin the shot with excessive noise levels as a result of low signal-to-noise ratio.

By the way, reading this article:

http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/evaluation-canon-7d/index.html

I understand why so many people are so crazy about the good old 7D and why we all are so eagerly anticipating the 4K_crop_recording on this camera.

Danne

And also add darkframes which will clean color noise really well, especially att higher isos.

a1ex

Something that wasn't done for the 100D: VRAM dumps in all video modes, please.

Noticed while verifying raw skip offsets in LiveView.

OlRivrRat

Is there a Dumper available somewhere ?

Never Mind > My Head went straight to ROM Dump > My Bad ~
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

dfort

Quote from: dpjpandone on June 21, 2014, 03:14:38 AM
You must repeat this process for about 75 possible display states

:P

IDA_ML

Hello 100D users,

I would like to report my first impressions on the new SD-interface overclocking (OC) module called sd_uhs.mo which allows a substantial speed boost and will probably make it possible to record continuous 14-bit losslessly compressed RAW video at 2520x1080 resolution with sound at 24 fps.  I tested a build provided to me by Danne with the above module included but I am not sure if he doesn't mind posting it here since, as I understand, there is some risk for data loss when using it.  That is why, if someone wants to test it, I would suggest that they ask Danne for that build. 

Here is what I did:

1) Install the build and activate all desired modules, including the sd_uhs.mo;

2) While in Photo mode, go to the Debug menu and activate the SD-card overclocking feature.  Overclocking makes sense only if  your SD card provides write speeds substantially higher than the native 100D interface write speed of about 40 MB/s.  I tested with two cards indicating 62 and 57 MB/s write speeds with a fast USB 3.0 card reader.

3) With OC activated, the screen goes dark and the camera performs a pretty long (1 to 2 min.) test to find out the optimum OC parameters of your card.  During the test the red LED blinks periodically.  When the tests completes, the LED stops blinking and upon pressing the Play button, a message appears, saying the test is complete.

4) Now you can run a 1 minute benchmark test and see at what actual OC read and write speeds your 100D communicates with your SD card.

5) DO NOT TURN the camera OFF !!! It will forget the settings determined in the above test and you will have to run it again!

6) Now you can set your resolution to 2520x1080 in the RAW-video menu, record some clips and see how long they become.

RESULTS:
======

I tested with two cards providing 62 and 57 MB/s card reader write speeds.  The ML benchmark test indicated actual OC write speeds of 52 and 47 MB/s with these two cards which resulted in 350 to 600 recorded frames with the faster card and 250 to 350 frames with the slower one at 2520x1080 resolution and 24 fps. The large record time variation is due to the different compression ratio that the camera uses at 14-bit lossless dependent on the brightness of the scene.  Without OC, the camera records just about 80 to 140 frames before it stops.  As you see, overclocking provides substantially longer record times at the maximum camera MLV video resolution.

Overall impression:
---------------------

After playing with the above two cards for several hours, I found the camera to be very stable.  I never got a corrupt frame or another glitch.  Also, all the recorded clips on the camera stayed untouched, no matter how many times I turned the camera off and on again and ran the OC test.  I am very pleased with this amazing new feature and will definitely continue using it.  The only annoying thing is that the OC settings get lost every time when the camera is turned off or the card needs to be replaced.  Danne said that it is possible to skip the OC test by reprogramming the sd_uhs.mo for every card used but I am not sure how this will work since SD cards do not always perform at the same read/write speeds.  Some also need to warm up before reaching maximum speed.  In fact, I experienced such inconsistent speed behavior with the faster card mentioned above.

Conclusion:
-------------

Our developers have again provided a wonderful new feature to us that seems to work great with the 100D making this amazing little camera even more powerful.  Danne reported 55 MB/s write speeds with a very fast (95 MB/s SanDisk Extreme pro SD card - is this correct, Danne?).  I will probably purchase this card hoping that it will provide continuous recording at the highest recording resolution.

Suggestion for improvement:
--------------------------------

It would be very helpful if the OC module is modified in such manner that the OC test is performed just once for the card that ML is installed on and the optimum OC parameters are stored automatically and permanently as a configuration setting.  This setting should then be applied automatically every time the camera is turned on and never forgotten when camera is turned off.

Acknowledgement:
--------------------

I extend my most sincere gratitude to all developers involved with this remarkable new development and hope, they will continue improving Magic Lantern.

Danne

Very good feedback.
I think one hurdle is the plethora of cards out there but what do I know.
As for the test I agree it should be done once and the maybe some stored file which get some signature with the specific card so we can go right into action...

IDA_ML

I have another very good news for all 100D users:

I borrowed a fast 95 MB/s SanDisk card from a friend of mine and with that card I get 68,3 MB/s and 71,7 MB/s benchmark write and read speeds, accordingly, after overclocking.  With these speeds I get continuous recording at the 2520x1080 resolution at 24 fps and 8...11 bit lossless even with Dual ISO.  Operation is really very stable, no overheating at all ! What an achievement, absolutely amazing !!!

Switching from normal to Dual ISO back and forth shouldn't be done after overclocking, though.  Camera hangs and a battery pull is required.  First switch the desired Dual ISO mode (On or Off), then restart the camera and then run the OC test.  In that case it works flawlessly.

nikfreak

if you guys have time and interest you may want to check my comments in fps-engio.c for the 100D. Maybe recording at higher fps in movie crop mode (~45fps) is now of interest due to higher write speeds??
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

dfort

You mean this bit of code?

src/fps-engio.c
#elif defined(CONFIG_100D)
    #define TG_FREQ_BASE 32000000
    #define FPS_TIMER_A_MIN (ZOOM ? 676 : MV1080CROP ? 540 : 520)
    #undef FPS_TIMER_B_MIN
    // no need to cause confusions as recording speed cannot handle such high fps in crop mode
    // (ZOOM || MV1080CROP ? 1288 : 1970)) <-- these are ok while not recording.
    // Hybrid CMOS AF II uses 60fps by default in LV/MV for the camera display
    // to achieve a "snappy" autofocus by doubling the fps
    // MV720 is not LV so we need to extend the definition for the LCD.
    #define FPS_TIMER_B_MIN (ZOOM ? 1450 : MV1080CROP ? 1750 : MV720 || (lv && lv_dispsize==1 && !is_movie_mode()) ? 990 : 1970)

Specifically, this part?

MV1080CROP ? 1750

nikfreak

as far as I remember at least mv1080crop could do ~45 fps:

// no need to cause confusions as recording speed cannot handle such high fps in crop mode
// (ZOOM || MV1080CROP ? 1288 : 1970)) <-- these are ok while not recording.

Just try the values  ;D
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Danne

45 fps? Serious. This could be badass for h.264 HDR recordings. IS it even possible to go even further, let´s say 48?

theBilalFakhouri

I don't think H.264 encoder will handle ~1736x976 @ 45fps ,, I tried once on 700D using adtg_gui:  1736x976  @ 42fps in mv1080 I got a choppy live view and footage when hit recording H.264 .
The RAW recording was a bit more fine with some corrupted frames  ;D .

Danne

I see @theBilalFakhouri
Can I ask you a favour. Where do I put in the line of code Nikfreak is referring to? Not a lot in there still I cannot see the logic.

theBilalFakhouri

I really don't know much about coding yet.
The blue Developers will know the answer about these coding things :D

Danne

dfort tipped me with this:
#define FPS_TIMER_B_MIN (ZOOM || MV1080CROP ? 1288 : MV720 || (lv && lv_dispsize==1 && !is_movie_mode()) ? 990 : 1970)
However when dialing fps override won´t go further than 31 fps...
@Nikfreak to the rescue  :P?

edit: movie crop mode seems to be able to override to 45...I should learn how to read.

Danne

Tested 100D in movie crop mode. It seems fine up to 42 fps, above this a lot of corrupted frames. Could this be achieved with regular mv1080?

theBilalFakhouri

Is lowering the resolution helps? 1736x688 or 1280x720 for example ?
And maybe trying different bit-depths will help for more safe frames.

Danne

Ok, this is cheap but works with mv1080 mode up to 42fps on mu eos 100D! That´s even more frames than possible on the 5D mark III.
#define FPS_TIMER_B_MIN (ZOOM || MV1080 ? 1288 : MV720 || (lv && lv_dispsize==1 && !is_movie_mode()) ? 990 : 1970)
It still won´t let me film with H.264, it simply breaks before anything gets even recorded. Some safeguard maybe?

a1ex

Maybe trying to override the column binning and line skipping registers in adtg_gui? I'd like to see some diffs between these two video modes.

Rough step-by-step:
- enter 1080p non-crop, without FPS override
- enable ADTG Registers and DIGIC registers
- if it locks up, try reducing FPS from adtg_gui menu
- go to PLAY mode and back (or MENU if you have mlv_play loaded)
- in adtg_gui menu, select Modified from now on
- go to PLAY mode and back
- make sure adtg_gui shows no registers; otherwise, select again Modified from now on and repeat
- enable 3x crop mode
- adtg_gui menu -> Log Registers Now (saves the difference between these two video modes to file)

Next, try turning one video mode into another. You can do that by locking a subset of registers (so they won't change as you switch video modes), or by manually tweaking registers. Line skipping is ADTG 0x800C or 0x8000. Column binning is somewhere in CMOS registers. Don't know what limits the max FPS besides resolution, but comparing these two video modes is a good way to find out.

Danne

ah, homework.
As soon as possible I say, (as always). Right now I gotta switch driver seat. BUmmer, since we were getting progression started.
ANyway, added this to have both mv1080 and mv1080CROP included:
#define FPS_TIMER_B_MIN (ZOOM || MV1080 || MV1080CROP ? 1288 : MV720 || (lv && lv_dispsize==1 && !is_movie_mode()) ? 990 : 1970)

IDA_ML

Yesterday, I played around with the overclocked video function, shooting about 40 GB of footage at 2520x1080/24fs/8...11bitLL and have to say, I am impressed.  I am getting continuous recording with the fast 64 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s card all the time and never had a single glitch.  Even at 30 fps I get about 7-8 s. of record time.  Even at the maximum adjustable 32 fps I get 2-3 corrupt frames only.  Dual ISO also works fine at that resolution and 24 fps and if you do not overexpose, the quality is quite decent.  I still can't believe that the 100D can do that.  Absolutely amazing!

I am looking forward to testing Movie crop mode at 1800x1008 resolution and 45 fps and if possible, the normal uncropped 1736x976 mode at 48 fps.  If that may be possible, the overclocking feature can easily be considered as revolutional! 

A friend of mine with a 5D3 also follows this development with enormous excitement.  He asks if it will be possible to realize card spanning with the OC SD-card on this model.  If that is possible, then could we possibly hope that the next impact will be 4K RAW video at 24 fps with 14bit lossless on the 5D3?  Probably I am dreaming too much but given that our developers are real wizards, why not?

Danne

I thought the sd_uhs.mo already included 5D mark III? But maybe not spanning so you are right about that.

OlRivrRat

@ IDA_ML

Setup Details Please ~ Best I've gotten so far is about 5 Sec's on same SD.
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

IDA_ML

Quote from: OlRivrRat on April 25, 2018, 09:08:04 AM
               @ IDA_ML

Setup Details Please ~ Best I've gotten so far is about 5 Sec's on same SD.

All details are written in my posts 1180 and 1196.  You have to run the overclock test, then check your write speed (it should be 67-68 MB/s on that card), set your desired fps and then start recording.  That's all.