Canon 100D / SL1

Started by nikfreak, October 19, 2015, 10:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IDA_ML

Danne,

The feedback that I provided in my post #1021 was obtained with your build:

https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-Nightly.2018Jan24.100D101_audio_hiccupfix.zip

As far as your commit is concerned, it looks like Chinese to me.  I cannot read, write and understand code.  Sorry about that.

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Danne on January 24, 2018, 05:41:44 PM
@IDA_ML
Here is a build for 100D with sound included along with the fix for the "hiccup" issue included into crop_rec_4k branch. Not tested so go nuts:
Build:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-Nightly.2018Jan24.100D101_crop_rec_4k_snd.zip

Commit:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/commits/23b21dddd5467526a11638ff1ae6858e9390c946

Added mlv_lite.c and mlv_snd.c from ErwinH sound build into crop_rec_4k so not sure what will work or not. ErwinH should probably do a PR to start things going...

Holy shitnuts @Danne this is purely insane!  8)
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Danne

Hi deafeyejedi :)
@IDA_ML
Maybe playback, lua and some other stuff is working now. Seems ErwinH hasn't been adding sound to 5xmode but maybe that work could continue somehow.
Regarding mlv_rec maybe stay focused on mlv_lite for a while since it seems to be more future robust.
Thanks

Sidenote: I tested playing a 5xzoom mode file in mlrawviewer and I could swear it had a wav file playing. Will doublecheck tonight.

IDA_ML

Quote from: Danne on January 24, 2018, 06:07:17 PM
@IDA_ML
Maybe playback, lua and some other stuff is working now. Seems ErwinH hasn't been adding sound to 5xmode but maybe that work could continue somehow.
Regarding mlv_rec maybe stay focused on mlv_lite for a while since it seems to be more future robust.
Thanks

Sidenote: I tested playing a 5xzoom mode file in mlrawviewer and I could swear it had a wav file playing. Will doublecheck tonight.

And I could swear that ErwinH's build from October 23-rd, 2017 had sound in the 5x-magnification mode at 11...8 bit lossless.  Please play the video in my post #996 and see for yourself. It was filmed on that build with these settings.

As far as your very latest build is concerned (the one that you uploaded half an hour ago), I will not be able to test it before tomorrow morning.  I am at work right now.  However, if sound is working at 5x-magnification in that build, as you swear, then you guys have really achieved a break through with the 100D.

Danne

Just recorded 8-11bit mode mlv_lite with sound with the build provided below. Note that I had to stop recording manually to have the wav saved. If the camera stops the recording automatically the sound file ended up in 44byte size:

QuoteHere is a build for 100D with sound included along with the fix for the "hiccup" issue included into crop_rec_4k branch. Not tested so go nuts:
Build:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-Nightly.2018Jan24.100D101_crop_rec_4k_snd.zip

Commit:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/commits/23b21dddd5467526a11638ff1ae6858e9390c946

Added mlv_lite.c and mlv_snd.c from ErwinH sound build into crop_rec_4k so not sure what will work or not. ErwinH should probably do a PR to start things going...

dfort

Let's try something different. Instead of sacrificing the height how about adjusting the skip_top setting for the zoom mode. This should take care of the "hiccup" issue. Turns out that on the EOSM and 700D there was a little room at the top of the frame so I'm assuming that it is the same on the 100D.

I was able to reproduce the issue with corrupt video when using no compression in mv1080crop (Movie Crop Mode) on the 700D and the solution was to shave off a couple of pixels off the bottom by adjusting skip_bottom.

The EOSM/650D/700D are also going to benefit from these changes because they will gain the full 1080 height in zoom mode.

Pull request submitted and test builds posted on my Bitbucket downloads page.

[EDIT] A more detailed description of the pull request: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19300.msg196350#msg196350

Danne

Tried your lates build on eos 100D with negative results. Still exhibit doubled frames in 8-10, 12, 14bit lossless files. Your other attempt with shaving 1080 to 1078 worked better. Here´s a file with the latest commit with doubled frames: https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/8-10bitlossless.MLV

Your commit also let´s 1080 become 1082 every other time while scrolling for bigger aspect ratios.

IDA_ML

Hello Danne,

I have now tested your:

build and can confirm your observations.  In the 5x-magnification mode, sound gets recorded only if you stop recording manually.  If you let it record until buffer is full then the sound file does not record.  Maybe, you could compare your build with the one from Oct. 23-rd, 2017 and see what the difference is and how it can be fixed in your latest build.  In this way, if the maximum resolution is set (2496x1078 at 5x-crop), we can get about 6 s. recording at 8...11bit LL and will not have to stop recording manually which will further shorten it and introduce additional camera shake due to manually pushing the record button.

I also briefly tested 8...11 bit LL in both: the uncropped RAW video mode at 1736x976 and the Movie Cropped Mode at 1800x1008 resolutions with sound.  I get continuous recording in both modes and sound seems to work OK although I did not check synchronicity.  Also in 12-bit LL I get continuous recording WTH SOUND in the above two modes and resolutions.  Quite amazing!

dfort

Quote from: Danne on January 25, 2018, 07:58:04 AM
Tried your lates build on eos 100D with negative results.

Darn it. I should have waited for test results before posting the pull request.

That's good news about the 1082 image height. I'm also seeing it on the EOSM and 700D. Let's see if subtracting 1 from the raw buffer height still takes care of the hiccups and the skip adjustments gives back the full 1080 image height.

Pull request updated and new test build posted on my Bitbucket downloads page.

Danne

Yes, this seems to work dfort. So 1080 is working all of a sudden in 5xzoom mode all of a sudden  8).  Good stuff!

Danne

@IDA_ML
QuoteMaybe, you could compare your build with the one from Oct. 23-rd, 2017 and see what the difference is and how it can be fixed in your latest build.
That´s the latest build from ErwinH when checking his code. Are you getting audio with 8-11 lossless setting even when camera stops prematurely?

IDA_ML

Quote from: Danne on January 25, 2018, 04:52:52 PM
@IDA_ML Are you getting audio with 8-11 lossless setting even when camera stops prematurely?

No, I get the audio file recorded ONLY if I stop recording manually, (press the record button) at the 5-th second or earlier.  If I let the camera record until buffer is full and because of that it stops by itself after about 6 s. (I do not press the record button or do anything else to stop it), then it does not record the audio file.  It creates it with the right file name but the file is empty (0 bytes).

This test applies to your build:

If I use ErwinH's build from Oct. 23-rd, 2017, the sound file gets recorded properly when the camera stops by itself due to the buffer full condition.

Danne

Thanks. Gotta check what's different then. Thought I compiled the very same source from ErwinH. Where is Erwin by the way. Sure could use him  :P.

OlRivrRat

With Any of the Latest Builds (including DForts 25Jan) I see Verbiage @ Screen Bottom

that Implies that I can't get to where You Guys seem to be >

"2560 is not possible in current video mode" & the Data Transfer Rates are in the High 40s.

Are these messages to be ignored?

Sure wish I could get My Hands On Someones Settings Folder so I could be sure All the

Settings were correct. I must be making some incorrect choices but have no idea what.
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

dfort

That warning message should read:

Quote2560 is not possible in current video mode (max 2520).

Of course the data rate is going to be high at that resolution. You'll get only a few seconds of video at 2520x1080. However, you should be able to get continuous recording at 1920x1080 using 8..11bit lossless compression.

Danne

Quote from: IDA_ML on January 25, 2018, 06:17:49 PM
If I use ErwinH's build from Oct. 23-rd, 2017, the sound file gets recorded properly when the camera stops by itself due to the buffer full condition.

Not sure we are testing the same things here. I just downloaded ErwinH build here and the same issues exists in 5xzoom mode as expected. 44byte wav when camera stops the recording:
https://bitbucket.org/ehoutsma/magic-lantern/downloads/

IDA_ML

Danne,

Can you manually set FPS override to 23,976 fps and test ErwinH's build again?  Do you observe the same behavior?

Danne

in 5x mode I could set it to 23.977. Recording 8-11 bits lossless letting the camera stop produces not file at all. Stopping it myself creates the file. recording 12 bit lossless 44byte camera stop, regular wav when stopping manually.

dfort

@Danne and @IDA_ML and anyone else who want's to give it a shot -- I uploaded a build from the original @ErwinH mlv_lite_snd code and another with the latest changes merged in. His repository hasn't been updated since October 23 so maybe something changed between then and now that broke it? I never tried it out but since you guys have experience with it please check these two builds:

crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_snd-original.2018Jan25.100D101.zip
crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_snd-updated.2018Jan25.100D101.zip

You can pick them up on my Bitbucket uploads page.

Danne

Tested ErwinH and compiled one before. Haven´t tested your merges but I expect the exact same outcome as my merge dropping mlv_lite.c and mlv_snd.c in crop_rec_4k plus your added changes which fixes 5xzoom mode.
I tried understand where the code breaks the wav file when interrupted by camera but hey, what a jungle  :P

IDA_ML

I really don't know what is going on, Danne.  I am absolutely sure, when I shot the video frm my post #996, I did not stop the camera manually but let it stop by itself.  I do that always since record time in the 5x-magnification mode is too short anyway. 

Dfort,

Thank you for the updated build.  I will test as soon as I can.

Danne

Either not stable or behaviour differs from cameras or whatnot  :P.
If you want to retest your recordings I wouldn´t mind. Nevertheless, these test won´t get us closer to the solution will it ;).
Taking a break...

dfort

Quote from: Danne on January 25, 2018, 10:16:53 PM
Nevertheless, these test won´t get us closer to the solution will it ;).

Sometimes the problem is a merge gone wild. If that's the case maybe the solution is to restart the merge.

A little off topic here but on the 700D both the original and the updated version behave the same in zoom mode. If it is an automatic stop the audio file is only 2KB and it doesn't work, if you stop recording manually the audio file is saved properly.

In no case, no matter what setting I used, did the audio file get saved properly if recording was stopped automatically when using the ml_lite/ml_snd workflow. No problem when using mlv_rec/mlv_snd.

Danne

Needs a going through :).
Thanks for keeping up the energy all involved. No more hiccups is great to achieve.

IDA_ML

Dfort,

I have now briefly tested your latest two builds at 5x-magnification:

crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_snd-original.2018Jan25.100D101.zip
crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_snd-updated.2018Jan25.100D101.zip

I can now confirm your and Danne's findings.  The sound file gets properly saved only if recording is manually stopped before buffer is full.  If camera is left to record untill it stops by itself, the audio is not properly recorded.  Just an empty sound file is created. 

One more observation:  While it is great that the maximum resolution (2520x1080) is back now and it works without hiccups, in the normal uncropped lossless modes, at 1736x976 resolution, the focus pixels are back.  So, if we stay with that 2520x1080 max. resolution, the focus pixel maps will have to be corrected again.  I hope, this will not be a problem.

The hicccup issue is gone and this is fantastic.  Thank you again, Dfort, for your genius work !!!