Canon 100D / SL1

Started by nikfreak, October 19, 2015, 10:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbop

Holy, holy, holy!  I spent all day trying to figure out focus stack, and I finally got it to work!

So first of all, the problem is that the af lock forces the camera to find a focus while it's on auto-focus before it can shoot.  This is ruining the focus stack because every time the focus stack adjusts, the camera would just readjust to what it thought the prime focus would be.  This was the case in every type of focusing I tried.

I felt dumb when I realized how simple it is - just disable the af lock!

Go into your customizable menu #6 (page 303 of the online sl1 user manual) and here I changed my 0 to a 1, but I think 2 or 3 might work as well.  Then go back, turn on follow focus and then while in live mode push the * button (You may need to push down the shutter halfway to see if you see the * sign on the bottom left of your screen).  Congratulations!  You have just disabled the pesky canon algorithm that compares your contrast and says you're out of focus.  That's right, you've just made your camera you're b****. (Get it? Cause of the * button? :) )

Now go ahead and set your end point with follow focus and set up your stack focus point values and hit run.  Voila, you have some perfect stops to go with your focus.

JohanJ

@bbop: good work. Can it be so easy! Just switched focus to one back button (*) and Stack Focus works fine!
I tested all options in Cfn6 menu. One really has to see to that focusing is disabled on the shutter button, means: 
Cfn6 = 0 (AF/AE lock) and Cfn6 = 2 (AF/AF lock, no AE lock) --> not OK
Cfn6 = 1 (AE lock/AF) and Cfn6 = 3 (AE/AF, no AE lock) --> OK
Tested even the different AF modes and all work the same way.

I'd suggest to activate Stack Focus again but put out a yellow warning message (Set AF to back btn (*)... the same way it is shown for Follow Focus)
60D.111 / 100D.101 / M2.103

nikfreak

Updated first post with a new release. Read changelog and provide feedback for it.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

JohanJ

Focus Stacking
Tested with all different CFn6 settings and it works perfectly now! --> OK

A similar hack would be recommended for LiveView/Continuous AF. If one forgets to disable it you will have the same symptoms of focus hunting just before the next picture is to be taken.

Just found a little side effect: Focus stacking starts even in photo mode but changes to LiveView after the first picture taken. Same behavior on the 60D so I guess this is as designed.

Rack Focus --> not sure?
In principle the focus behaves as expected according to the chosen focus parameters (Focus End Point, Step Size - all good).
When starting RECORDING first (using LV button or LCD sensor) Rack focus can be initiated pressing PLAY or using the LCD sensor again (nice, no camera shake). Any further start delay is not taking place (probably not needed, when initiating rack focus manually in recording mode).

But when following instructions from http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11269.msg109589#msg109589 I was expecting to start recording a short sequence from the Focus Menu -> Rack Focus just by pressing PLAY from there.
I get the message: Rack Focus REC started. After the chosen delay focus is shifting as defined, then another delay count down ending with the message movie_end:not recording and nothing is saved on the SD card.

Did I get it totally wrong?
60D.111 / 100D.101 / M2.103

power1001

@nikfreak - thanks and great work... in the last three builds, after I install ML I get the continuous flashing and camera will not shut off until I remove battery.  After that, ML seems to work fine.  When I update, I first remove ML, and then format card, and then load new build.  I read that this means I don't have correct firmware.  However, I only started to have this problem in the last three builds.  Should I reload firmware ?

magiclantern-Nightly.2016May01.100D100B
SL1 100D.100B - 24MM 1.28 STM - 18-55 STM

nikfreak

Im unsure what may cause your issue. i suggest starting from scratch. Then try to find out what feature is causing it even if that means that you have to start and shutdown the cam for a few dozen times. Without getting more details we won't be able to narrow it down. I got 100D.100B too and can't confirm your issues atm. Maybe just try another card and see if that helps. Otherwise I suggest reseting camera to its defaut settings and also clear the CFn settings and then start from scratch.

Quote from: power1001 on May 02, 2016, 06:19:11 PM
I read that this means I don't have correct firmware.

Where did you read this? ML won't install if you selected wrong firmware. The installer is safe and doesn't install to wrong revision of the camera. Try it out yourself and see what happens.

power1001

@nikfreak
the support/install guide page TROUBLESHOOTING sections says:
Troubleshooting
If the card LED blinks continuously after running Firmware Upgrade, you don't have the right Canon firmware version or sub-version. To fix it, install the official Canon firmware upgrade from the links found on ML download page, even if you already have the correct version number (you may have a different sub-version number).

A new card didn't help.  I'll try some more reloads.

power1001

@nikfreak
Interestingly, if I reload magiclantern-Nightly.2016Apr20.100D.100B, it works fine and I can restart with on/off switch.  When I then reload magiclantern_Nightly.2016May01.100D100B it hangs again at reload and I need to pull battery.  ML works fine after that.

nikfreak

Did you try to reset cam to default settings and cleared also CFN settings as well as ML default settings?

Walter Schulz

Sounds like a module hanging at startup.
Do you get a message after removing battery
"Camera was not shut down cleanly. Skipping module loading."?
You want to remove contents in ML/Settings to avoid such an hangup.

power1001

I tried resetting to default settings, cleared CFN setting, and to ML default a couple of times.  Did not correct.  I don't get any error warnings.  It just hangs at please restart your camera with continuous flashing until I remove battery.  It then starts normally.  I tried a bunch of times, counting count down to 5 sec, etc and it continues to repeat. 

Walter Schulz

Do you have a second card? Obsolete one (1 GB or else) will do.

power1001

nikfreak

Quote from: power1001 on May 02, 2016, 10:08:30 PM
I tried resetting to default settings, cleared CFN setting, and to ML default a couple of times.  Did not correct.  I don't get any error warnings.  It just hangs at please restart your camera with continuous flashing until I remove battery.  It then starts normally.  I tried a bunch of times, counting count down to 5 sec, etc and it continues to repeat. 

I don't get it.We are solely talking about the installer? You need to run it only once and forget about it but you seem to run it with each provided update, right?

Edit: yup, checked and confirmed. We are talking about the installer. I recreated 'em for all revisions some days ago but looks like something is interfering and turning the cam off doesn'T work and you need to take out battery. Afterwards ML will boot up. So not a big deal but newbies might miss it and once 60seconds are gone....
Thx for informing power1001.
@a1ex: in order to get "make autoexec-fir.bin" to work I needed to uncomment two lines from mem.c which were commented to been used for selftest.mo. But this seems not to be related to not being able to shutdown camera via "OFF" button position. Can you check the installer part?

Cidiak

Hi, I'm a new user of ML  :)
I would like to know something: when we uninstall ML from one card by formating from camera (Format card, remove Magic Lantern), does the photos/videos who were on the card are removed too?

Nex

Quote from: Cidiak on May 05, 2016, 10:17:00 AM
Hi, I'm a new user of ML  :)
I would like to know something: when we uninstall ML from one card by formating from camera (Format card, remove Magic Lantern), does the photos/videos who were on the card are removed too?
If you format the card you pretty much remove all it's content.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

samcameron

Hi,

I'm trying to do an HDR video of 24 FPS as final output. To accomplish this I'm setting up my video at 720p/60 FPS and then using the FPS override option and setting up the frame rate at 48FPS, the problem is that the FPS override mode only allows me to achieve 31.237 FPS, I don't understand why reducing the FPS from 60 48 or lower is a problem for this feature. Any idea about why this cannot be accomplished with the FPS override mode?

Thanks in advance.

nikfreak

Hi Sam,

it's the FPS timer for LV / 720p which needs to be adjusted. For the moment I recommend trying this:
I will look into the fps timers for LV / 720p. I left it like it i atm because I was comfortable with half amount of the fps values. The 100D has a default 60fps in liveview....

samcameron

Thanks for the info Nikfreak,

24 FPS HDR (actual 48 FPS) would be the perfect setting even if it's 720p due to the fact that is more standard in terms of frame rate, let me know if you want me to try something for you.

Sam.

samcameron

I have another problems, I manage to get 45 FPS using the crop mode but when I finish recording the video and I playback the video or transfer into my computer the information of the file says 24 FPS. Am I doing something wrong? how can I have the video saved to 45 FPS or any other? All I get is the standard framerate when the file gets saved.

nikfreak

Disregard metadata/info and import it as 45fps into your editor. That's what people recommend in topics. I never shoot video so no experience myself  :P

T-Bone

Just joined the board today and I have the SL1 with the 'B' version of the most current nightly build (see signature).  Has the battery % feature not been implemented yet?  I get some sort of decimal version of the 1/3, 2/3, 3/3  breakkdown.  I have checked the ML menus several times and can't seem to find a setting for it.

Most everything else that I have checked seems to work.  I am looking forward to checking out the more advanced features, particularly the manual mode focusing aids and intervalometer (and many others).

Thanks!
T-Bone  <º»><
Ver.=magiclantern-Nightly.2016May01.100D.100B.zip
Firmware=1.0.0

Welles

Hi, so exited about raw video and many other stuff :)

I just installed it, 100A didn't work, but 100B did.

bench : OK
Card and memory benchmarks works (write speed is good, up to 43.2 MB/s with a 32 GB SanDisk Extreme SDHC I 45 MB/s)
arkanoid: OK
raw_rec: OK
mlv_rec: OK
Both modules are producing files, respectively RAW and MLV, but right now I didn't find a tool that works to convert them (tested MlRawViewer, will search the site for alternatives)

Thanks so much for this port!

100D.100B / EF-S 10-18mm IS STM / EF-S 18-55mm IS STM / EF-S 55-250 mm IS II / EF 40mm STM

hindra

Hello everyone! 100D.100A worked for me.

The only issue I have seen so far is the screen flickering, but it doesnt seem t affect anything other than just being annoying. I need some faster cards to play with the raw video functions more. I'll report back after I play with it more. Thank you so much for getting ML on the 100D!
SL1 100D.100A - 5D - 7D2 - 5D3 1.2.3

hindra

Ok! Hello everyone, and thanks again for getting ML on the SL1!

So far my workflow working with .raw is simple, Im still very new. I use Rawanizer and I open up a "raw sequence" in Adobe after effects, do my raw adjustments to the first frame and I have my video in After Effects. Its working great, I am using .raw format, 640 resolution. My issue that the video isnt clean, I am unsure how to describe what is going on. I am getting green broken up lines across the frame. Thank you for all your help and hard work.

EDIT: I found the issue. If I turn off dual ISO while shooting raw footage I get cleaner video. I no longer get the green broken up lines.
SL1 100D.100A - 5D - 7D2 - 5D3 1.2.3