Canon 100D / SL1

Started by nikfreak, October 19, 2015, 10:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikfreak

Placed a hint as requested under "What's not working" section in 1st post.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

javyelow

Hi this is Javier,
I bought a Canon 100d recently because I was stolen my Canon 7D. I searched for a similar camera, in video aspects specially and founded the Canon 100D a great match.
I wanted the Magic Latern option because I used it too much and I had no doubt in buying it when I saw it had it.
However, when i opened my new camera the Magic Latern didn't work out because it is a new model.
Now I am very limited, because of this and I wondered if you have planed to build the it soon for the new version.

Thanks for answering this important question to me.

I have too more doubts:

1. I don't like the white balance in this camera because it is very limited and I wonder if  the magic latern improves it. Would it be possible to use Kelvin more specifics?

2. ISO. Does magic latern in this version offer intermediate values of ISO?

Thanks a lot for all this information.

Best,

Javier

nikfreak

First post has been updated with a new release for firmware revision A & B.

Felipe

Great the time out feature, in general feels more stable.
Audio as well seems more accurate
Still once in a while artefacts, missing arrow shortcuts,
650D-700D

Xinixato

thank you soo much for your work @nikfreak  ;)
EOS 100D 100D.100B - 18-55 STM - 50 1.8 MkI - 70-210 f4

Titou

I had a Canon G16, I loved the focus peak option and miss it so much on my new 100D, unfortunately I got a C revision firmware... So impatient !
Thanks Nikfreak for all the great work !
100D.100C

theandrewgordon

Any update on audio monitoring? I'd love usb to 1/8 th  to work live

nikfreak

Looks like I fixed the buggy VRAM being responsible for the "dirty" ML menu in conjunction with the EDMACs going crazy. Now doing some tests myself and afterwards merging the latest changes from unified branch. That said I am also going to pick up work for the C revision but only after the next release and getting some feedback on it.

I will update first post once the next update is ready for release.

Felipe

650D-700D

nikfreak

Updated the first post.
Read the changelog - especially what I am mainly after.

Felipe

What a video camera in such a small package, No dirt, SUPER CLEAN. LOVELY.
Audio and other features precise as a German watch, or ar a Swiss watch?
Cropmarks on play mode flickering
Nik you are Fantaaastic
650D-700D

nikfreak

yeah keep up testing as much features as you can and I need also feedback from someone with A Revision camera.

DeafEyeJedi

Sorry I'm late for the party ... Here are the quick glimpse of what I was able to accomplish from Alpha-2a (20th april) for A Revision camera per your request.

•Silent pics seems to be working again.
•Audio sometimes fails during MLV recording (even w MLV Sound enabled ON).
•raw_fixes (seems solid to me but will need to do more tests just to be sure -- are you looking for speed differences in between builds or?).
•lua_fixes seems normal (but I can't figure out how to get the Q button to respond since it acts like SET button instead, any clues?).

https://vimeo.com/163578726

•In the final 2 minutes of the video above which shows Silent Pics & Lua Scripting that I was referring to earlier.

Let me know if there are any in depth testings (or abuse) that you would like for us to do ... I'll continue to fiddle with the Photo/Movie modes to try and get it dirty again (if any) and Thanks again @nikfreak for your continued work on this.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

nikfreak

Thank you very much. As always your videos are outstanding. I will try to format my card and start from scratch for reproducing my issue with DNG. Got some strange behaviour last days mounting it on my ubuntu vm anyways. regarding button handling we need to list it in some way. Which feature does need Q and which one needs SET button so we can code the conditions. ATM the Q/SET button is "dirty" hacked as SET and in menu we use Av for Q button.

I need to retry the long / shortpress code again (failed in past due to malfunctioning at some features/places as stock fw does that also in different situations) to end up with something like this:

• Longpress Q/SET = Q
  • Shortpress Q/SET = SET

DeafEyeJedi

Well the silent pic wasn't working for sure in the previous build or two afaik.

So you definitely did fix it at least for A Revisions.

I actually like that concept with the long press and short press for Q/SET options.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Felipe

Nik during video recording we can change exposure, say iso, going to ML Menu, BUT has to be with a long press,
and then another press in order to see the iso control during recording.
With my 650D just one short press and that is all,
or the non 100D FEATURE eye sensor shortcut arrows.
650D-700D

nikfreak

Felipe LCD sensor can be used and I will implement it.
regarding the buttons we need to find a "general" solution which covers also custom settings by any user. You can read up what I am after here:

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-requests/716/generic-functions-for-some-cfn-parameters

if there's no "general" solution I will customize it to print a warning ( case 1 to 5) to keep an eye of the questionable CFn setting and set it back to 0. Afterwards we would need to find out which features need the "Q" button and modify those to use another key. DeafEyeJedi already mentioned hickkacks with LUA. I for myself implemented the actual solution to get ETTR working and have the "Q" button return nothing etc...

Unfortuantely 100D has a reduced set of buttons but I think to find a "general" solution could also help future ports (1200D, 1300D, SL2)

Felipe

650D-700D

canneloni

@DeafEyeJedi

How the hell do you get such good/long times for RAW video in 720p and 24fps? My card should be fast enough but still it won't last a minute in neither RAW (not MLV Lite), nor MLV.
I'm using Samsung MicroSDXC 64GB PRO UHS-I Grade 1 Class 10.

Btw: Is there an option to use not 14 BIT RAW, but something like 10 BIT or even 8 BIT? I know there is less data, but it might be still enough for the most of us and better than h264. Maybe some of the slower cameras could record in higher resolutions this way?

@nikfreak

thank you very very much for your great work :)!
100D.100B ; Canon 18-55 STM ; Canon 50 1,8 II ; Canon 75-300 4,0 - 5,6 III ; Sigma 17-50 2,8

Felipe

@Nik, When in vectorscope adjusting Kelvin + color shift, Canon quick menu graphic interface jumps into the screen comes and goes.
650D-700D

Frank7D

QuoteBtw: Is there an option to use not 14 BIT RAW, but something like 10 BIT or even 8 BIT? I know there is less data, but it might be still enough for the most of us and better than h264. Maybe some of the slower cameras could record in higher resolutions this way?

Nope.

Felipe

@Nik, Confirmed when bringing Vectorscope or Iso, Speed, Aperture from the ML Menu to Movie live view screen, the time out feature which is
viewable when in ML Menu, applys in live view BUT only while composing, IF recording NOT, if that sounds confusing I can explain further.
650D-700D

nikfreak

Let's try a test build for 100D.100C only. Read the first post if you have any questions. I know for sure the installer (ML-SETUP.FIR) will work. Does it boot afterwards? Some older test builds for 100D.100C have been reported to give a blank screen after the installer. In case of that scenario just delete the extracted contents again or reformat your card in your PC. If in doubt post a short video taken with your smartphone so I can see what happens. In that case I will provide some more test builds where we will try to blink the camera LED to see where it hangs during boot..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Mu66yg5QzRRjFjdUxvenpNQkU/view?usp=sharing

samcameron

Hi nikfreak,

I tried your 100C version and it doesn't boot up. Only shows a black screen. The only firmware version that kind of works was one of the first ones that I tried some months ago thanks to dfort.

Walter Schulz

No blinking LED?
Copy extracted build contents to card and retry.