Canon 100D / SL1

Started by nikfreak, October 19, 2015, 10:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlameFly

Thank you so much nikfreak!!! :D I've been lurking these forums for a long time waiting for someone to pick up the SL1 (I would've loved to do it myself, but alas college currently uses up all that extra time). I'll be around to help report bugs and the like though. Again, thanks for spending some of your time on this, I really appreciate it.
Canon 100D.100B

samcameron

Hi, I'm new in this forum. I have a SL1 and I'm trying to install ML but I got an error saying is not the right firmware. I tried both: magiclantern-Nightly.2015Nov20.100D100A and magiclantern-Nightly.2015Nov20.100D100B. None of these worked for me. I don't know if my camera is a 100D.100A,B,C or D. How can I check this and how can I install ML?

Thanks in advance.

DeafEyeJedi

@samcameron:

Most likely you got the 100D.100C version which will come out when it comes out. Be patience as @nikfreak continues to work hard on this possibility!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Xinixato

Let nikfreak work, he's doing it well, and we have to wait until he can release the new version
EOS 100D 100D.100B - 18-55 STM - 50 1.8 MkI - 70-210 f4

phileas5928

Neither of the two packs worked for me. I tried both on different SD cards and they both failed, telling me to use the other one.

Walter Schulz

dfort

Wondering if anyone can verify this:

Camera Name:   'Canon EOS REBEL SL1' = firmware A
     Camera Name:   'Canon EOS 100D' = firmware B
     Camera Name:   'Kiss X7' = firmware C

Just trying to confirm one of my conspiracy theories.

MS96

@dfort

I have the European 100D and nether A nor B work .
100D.100C?

tone503773

Quote from: dfort on January 18, 2016, 08:48:24 PM

Camera Name:   'Canon EOS REBEL SL1' = firmware A
     Camera Name:   'Kiss X7' = firmware C

'Canon EOS REBEL SL1' = firmware A
This is true for me
Canon 100D.100A

brunomm

I can confirm that:

nikfreak

Quote from: dfort on January 18, 2016, 08:48:24 PM

Camera Name:   'Canon EOS REBEL SL1' = firmware A confirmed by tone503773
     Camera Name:   'Canon EOS 100D' = firmware B confirmed by brunomm
     Camera Name:   'Kiss X7' = firmware C that one won't be confirmable yet as only the fir for bootflag exists but ML bootup was unsuccesful yet. But we could read it out anyways Anyone?

dfort you scaring me (in terms of another rev popping up)  ;)
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Xinixato

EOS 100D 100D.100B - 18-55 STM - 50 1.8 MkI - 70-210 f4

samcameron

My camera SL1 american model cannot use 100A or 100B, by reading a metadata using http://regex.info/exif.cgi it says: Canon Model ID: EOS Rebel SL1 / 100D / Kiss X7

DeafEyeJedi

Which confirms that Kiss X7 is firmware 'C' ... Nice work @dort!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

nikfreak

Quote from: samcameron on January 19, 2016, 03:30:19 AM
My camera SL1 american model cannot use 100A or 100B, by reading a metadata using http://regex.info/exif.cgi it says: Canon Model ID: EOS Rebel SL1 / 100D / Kiss X7
Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on January 19, 2016, 04:04:31 AM
Which confirms that Kiss X7 is firmware 'C' ... Nice work @dort!
I wouldn't describe it like that. People might get confused and it could be misleading. I have been messaged by some people from Europe not getting A / B to work. They might own another revision of the firmware or maybe got their hands onto some import models. As far as I remember you got also "american model"  8) but can only run the A firmware...

I guess whatever dfort has in mind it might shed some light into postprocessing raw files / dng's

dfort

Quote from: samcameron on January 19, 2016, 03:30:19 AM

Looks like a camera with an identity crises. I PM'd @samcameron asking for a file that we can examine and @MS96 could also do that. Any kind of file should have the EXIF information we're looking for so even a small jpeg should do. Both are new to the forum so I should comment that you can't upload to the forum but you can post the file somewhere and link to it.

I'd like to ask @samcameron and @MS96 and any other user having problems with both the A and B firmware versions if you have ever used Magic Lantern on any other camera before. The reason I'm asking is because this might be a new user installation issue instead of a version A, B or maybe even C, D, E... firmware. (That should freak out nikfreak!)

Quote from: nikfreak on January 19, 2016, 12:51:00 PM
I guess whatever dfort has in mind it might shed some light into postprocessing raw files / dng's

What I'm working on is a way to identify each camera that has the raw video focus pixel issue and on the two examples that I've got from this camera I found some interesting information in the EXIF metadata:

Oswald's camera was purchased in Germany and has the 'B' firmware:
     Camera Name:   'Canon EOS 100D'
     Camera Model:  0x80000346

DeafEyeJedi's camera was purchased in the U.S. and has the 'A' firmware:
     Camera Name:   'Canon EOS REBEL SL1'
     Camera Model:  0x80000346

Here's the post where this first came up:
http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16054.msg160594#msg160594

So it looks like it is best to identify cameras using the hexadecimal number for "Camera Model" instead of trying to use the "Camera Name" field. You would think that EOS Rebel SL1 / 100D / Kiss X7 are all identical except for the name stamped on the body to identify the marketing region but apparently Canon decided to throw in a different firmware for each region. Maybe I'm wrong and the firmware version is randomized just to throw off anyone wanting to hack into the camera's firmware. Well, that's my conspiracy theory.

dfort

Sam sent me a JPEG to examine and here is some more interesting information that I haven't seen before:

Camera Model Name               : Canon EOS REBEL SL1
Canon Image Type                : Canon EOS REBEL SL1
Canon Firmware Version          : Firmware Version 1.0.0
Canon Model ID                  : EOS Rebel SL1 / 100D / Kiss X7

Missing from the JPEG are the 'Camera Model', 'Camera Serial' and 'Camera Name' tags.

So according to my theory this should be an 'A' firmware but it doesn't work?

Another camera to add to the 'confirm' list would be the nikfreak's which according to his signature is a 'B' firmware and from the video on this post we can see that the camera has 100D stamped on the body.

nikfreak

My 100D.100B (cr2 / exiftool):

Camera Model Name               : Canon EOS 100D
Canon Image Type                : Canon EOS 100D

Missing from CR2 are the 'Camera Model', 'Camera Serial' and 'Camera Name' (not Model Name above, right?) tags. Any idea how this situation may be used (dependency of...) to ask for an official fw update?

MS96

Here is a jpeg from me
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8Ol50T0RhLUdXlrSEJFZ0VNeTA/view?usp=sharing
I have used ML before (5DMKII), I study computer science and believe to be apt enough to understand what i am doing is correct...
100D.100C?

dfort

Quote from: MS96 on January 19, 2016, 09:06:20 PM
Here is a jpeg from me

Here's what I see:

Camera Model Name               : Canon EOS 100D
Canon Image Type                : Canon EOS 100D

Quote from: MS96 on January 19, 2016, 09:06:20 PM
I have used ML before (5DMKII), I study computer science and believe to be apt enough to understand what i am doing is correct...

Great, I studied photography in college and graduated in 1981. A bit dated? It was also an art school, not much in the way of technical training so you're way more likely to figure this out.

It seemed logical to me that if there were different firmware versions they would be divided up by regions but seeing that there are EOS Rebel SL1 (Americas) and 100D (International) cameras that aren't taking the A or B firmware versions then I must be wrong. However, it does seem that at least so far every A version is an SL1 and every B version is a 100D.

Then again there is this version from Japan. It also comes in black but it is harder to read the name. Just a thought, you don't have a white camera do you?

Quote from: nikfreak on January 19, 2016, 07:16:11 PM
Missing from CR2 are the 'Camera Model', 'Camera Serial' and 'Camera Name' (not Model Name above, right?) tags. Any idea how this situation may be used (dependency of...) to ask for an official fw update?

You crossed out 'Camera Serial' so you found it in the CR2 EXIF metadata? I found a 'Serial Number' and an 'Internal Serial Number' but no 'Camera Serial' -- I've also been seeing different tags with the same information from ML Silent Picture MLV and DNG shots. 'Camera Name' and 'Model Name' also seem to be two different tags.

Are you thinking of asking Canon for a firmware update? Maybe that would put all the cameras on the same Canon firmware version?

nikfreak

I was rather hoping to see mismatching / missing exif tag(s) and try to justify a fw update due to broken 3rd party software but now realizing this is really region based I got even scared that in future this cam might be pain in my butt to maintain if canon decides to release (if they even do, wo knows?) region based fw update.

Felipe

Yes sounds scary, mean while I Noticed for A and B versions that we have the pleasure of using, THAT FOR THE AUDIO YOU HAVE TO GO TO CANON
MENU TO ADJUST LEVELS, THEN GO TO ML INTERFACE AND THEN AGAIN TO CANON MENU IN ORDER TO GET THE PROPER LEVELS.
In other words once you turn on video with ML, we have to go to the Canon Menu twice to get the right levels on the audio meters.
Not so with T4i where you have to go once to Canon Menu and then meters are right.
The artefacts in ML menu also are very frequent
650D-700D

Rawdoc75

Hi Guys, Hats off to Nikfreak and all those who are putting their mind and soul on the development of ML for SL1/100D and not to mention their precious time. I sincerely appreciate all your hard work. I'm new to DSLR and I purchased this as a refurb unit from Canon USA a few weeks ago. I'm sharing the Exif data from mine if it would be of any use.

Camera Model Name         : Canon EOS REBEL SL1
Canon Image Type          : Canon EOS REBEL SL1
Canon Firmware Version    : Firmware Version 1.0.0
Canon Model ID            : EOS Rebel SL1 / 100D / Kiss X7

It does show both the "Camera Serial Number" and "Internal Serial Number."

I'm yet to try loading the ML Nightly builds. Keeping the fingers crossed and waiting for the day when Nikfreak finally declares that this 'lil beast is "tamed" under ML :)

MS96

100D.100C?

oppy

@dfort - I have a US SL1 and 100B, so I guess maybe my camera disproves your hypothesis.
100D.100B