Canon 100D / SL1

Started by nikfreak, October 19, 2015, 10:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikfreak

Some statement about fps override? read through following page to check how much fps should be possible in different scenarios and check my comment on bottom page:

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-requests/649/fps_timer_a_min-and-fps_timer_b_min-fixed/diff
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Felipe

Can not get in H264, Movie crop mode or without it, 1080 60p or 45p, not at 1x bit rate or my usual 2.2 x ( fantastic for grading )
720 don't use it since my mosaic engineering moire aliasing filter only eliminates the "phenomenum" at 1080
650D-700D

nikfreak

Sorry can't follow you. I successfully did raw recording in movie crop mode with ~45fps - at least mlrawviewer was showing me that while playback...

Felipe

The reason why I don't shoot raw mainly is because Moire aliasing is someting I can not afford, and The Mosaic engineering antialising filter
http://www.mosaicengineering.com/products/vaf/txi.html
Only corrects the Aliasing and Moire when you shot at 1080,
This is for my work flow probably some people can deal with Moire and aliasing, changing distance, using focusing techniques.
As far as codec I use Bit rate increasing to 2.2 which is a lot, like 100 mbs, it is very solid for grading, and much more.
With your work and A1ex , on digic V I am able to make long recordings at 2.2 x  100 mbs, before your latest work I was only like 1.8x for several minutes.
650D-700D

nikfreak

Ok got it. Thanks for explaining in detail.

brechtlan

I am really considering buying a 100D to use next to my 70D but one of the main reasons I'd want to buy it, is to run Magic Lantern on it. As far as I have understood, there are 3 revisions of the 100D at the moment. What is my chance to buy a 100D that is able to run ML? Is there any possibility to check in advance whether I buy a camera that is supported right now (e.g. a simple check with the serial number to discover the production date)?

clivewattsrsa

Quote from: brechtlan on November 25, 2015, 08:10:05 AM
I am really considering buying a 100D to use next to my 70D but one of the main reasons I'd want to buy it, is to run Magic Lantern on it. As far as I have understood, there are 3 revisions of the 100D at the moment. What is my chance to buy a 100D that is able to run ML? Is there any possibility to check in advance whether I buy a camera that is supported right now (e.g. a simple check with the serial number to discover the production date)?

I am happy to upload a screenshot of the camera serial number etc, and hope others could do the same. would be useful to determine which are which. I have the currently unsupported C firmware.
100D.100C?

nikfreak

I would rather prefer to avoid such "serial number" discussions. What we learned from 70D porting:

• serial numbers don't matter
  • no one will be able to tell firmware revision from production date
  • serial number discussions are tending to move the main topic into the wrong direction
  • serial numbers alone will not bring ML to you  :D

With some patience we will get this done unless you bring up a hidden "D" revision  :P

canneloni

Depending on where you buy it, you could prepare 2 SD Cards with the 2 versions of the installer and try it out before buying ? You don't really have to install it, but you should get an error message if none of them works.

If you buy it online, you could still return it after testing if it is the C revision.

These are of course some rather shady methods.
100D.100B ; Canon 18-55 STM ; Canon 50 1,8 II ; Canon 75-300 4,0 - 5,6 III ; Sigma 17-50 2,8

Walter Schulz

The only way to get an error message is trying to install ML = Trying to set cam's bootflag. If you succeed and decide not buying the cam, please run installation again and reset cam's bootflag.
Or don't play around with cams not belonging to you and just wait for nikfreak to complete his work on 100D's A/B/C.

Wlad81

What's the purpose of the bitrate higher than 1.0x from normal with h.264?
Canon EOS 5D Mk III + Canon 24-105 F/4 L IS USM + SanDisk Exreme Pro 64 GB (SD, ML Nightly.2021Feb07.5D3113) + SanDisk Extreme Pro 128 GB (CF).

chilimac02

Quote from: Wlad81 on November 25, 2015, 10:46:33 PM
What's the purpose of the bitrate higher than 1.0x from normal with h.264?
I want to know also
Rebel SL1/100D... 40mm f/2.8 STM, 18-55mm f/3.5 IS STM, Tamron 70-300mm Di VC USD, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Art

bbeeen

Okay, so first off id like to say sorry for my ignorance because i actually have no idea how to work this at al. heck i could barly figure out how to post on here but here we go - -

1st,this whole thing looks really cool and im trying to do this to my camera, if so it wont ruin it, or as long as theres a way to, i guess factory reset the camera, im not sure? so there is one for the sl1/100d?

2nd, i cant for the life of me figure out how to put it on the sd car :///

other than that it SEEMS pretty easy.... any help?

again im sorry and thanks!

Walter Schulz

Cardreader required.
The rest is explained in the first post of this thread.

DeafEyeJedi

@Everyone-

After spending the weekend up north in SF visiting the wife's family and I of course brought the tiny SL1 with me.

There were so many bugs I've encountered while achieving about 77GB worth of footage.

Long story short, audio records on first MLV take and must turn off and back on in order to get audio on the next take otherwise (similar to 70D during early beta).

I also get "threads failed" quite often after shooting Dual-ISO videos ... I tried reproducing this for non Dual-ISO to no avail so it must be related to Dual-ISO somehow and figured the temporarily workaround for this bug was to take battery out and back in.

Also I noticed that ETTR number read won't update or change unless I press half-shutter while adjusting for proper exposures. No big deal but thought it was worth noting.

More in depth bug feedbacks/report will come as soon as I get back home from this trip.

Bottom line I personally think overall this Camera was such a beast especially for being low-profile throughout the city and walking on streets without attracting eye balls especially with a 24 pancake on it. It's so LIGHT (probably 2 lbs if not less) and even works well with Joby GorillaPod attached to use as "mini mono pod" despite the bugs.

I could carry it all day without hesitation and of course I had my backpack w more glass, gears in it and yet didn't feel quite heavy overall at all!

Thanks again to @nikfreak for making the world's smallest DSLR yet more powerful and by far one of the best tools to carry during typical street walking anywhere.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

fdewet

Been waiting a year for Magic Lantern for the Canon 100d and what a surprise to find someone has made it possible. I immediately loaded it on my camera and now have clean, uncompressed video out via HDMI at full HD to feed into my Blackmagic Design Mini Recorder and into my iMac running vMix HD under windows 8.1 (using bootcamp). The quality is excellent and I can now record and stream HD video. Big thank you to nikfreak for your time and effort. Will be testing some of the other features that has been made possible by the ML upgrade but it is looking good thus far.

Walter Schulz

Hard to believe this little cam does clean Full-HD via HDMI. Is there a second person able to confirm this?

Felipe

It scales down the image like 10%, But yes clean
650D-700D

nikfreak

DeafEyeJedi

I just tried and can confirm this as well. But will need to double check the true resolution size because I don't think it's full HD either but close enough.

Will record a video of it on SmallHD tomorrow at work to reconfirm this and good catch @fdewet!

Now I can refrain from having to upgrade my 5D3 to 123 and this is an incredible hidden gem for such a tiny beast ... Thanks @nikfreak for the early Christmas Gift!

Brand Brand

Quote from: Walter Schulz on December 02, 2015, 09:23:54 PM
Hard to believe this little cam does clean Full-HD via HDMI. Is there a second person able to confirm this?

LOL Nah bruh, the SL1 does not have clean HDMI out. I don't know what the poster meant by that. Unless hes saying ML is forcing the SL1 to output clean HDMI. This is from Imaging Resource "Clean" HDMI output not supported. Live view feed is only about 50% of screen, surrounded by black area containing readouts.http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-sl1/canon-sl1VIDEO.HTM

On a monitor the live image shows 50% and then once you press info on the SL1 the live image is expanded to about 75% of the screen and black border is reduced. But you can toggle the user interface with the info button, it works like a display button.

Unless this is what is considered clean HDMI out, great. And if that's the case I'm now even more confused.

Quote from: fdewet on December 02, 2015, 09:18:07 PM
Been waiting a year for Magic Lantern for the Canon 100d and what a surprise to find someone has made it possible. I immediately loaded it on my camera and now have clean, uncompressed video out via HDMI at full HD to feed into my Blackmagic Design Mini Recorder

Bet! Are you saying that ML is forcing clean HDMI footage out of the SL1 onto your recorder? Because the SL1 doesn't natively support clean HDMI. Do you know what codec the uncompressed footage is in? H.264 isn't bad but I'll take uncompressed, it ain't gotta be RAW. How exactly did you get it do clean HDMI out in ML?

Quote from: Felipe on December 02, 2015, 09:25:50 PM
It scales down the image like 10%, But yes clean

Are you sure this is clean HDMI out. Sure you can remove the user interface but the image is still re-scaled.

Quote from: nikfreak on December 02, 2015, 09:29:50 PM
never tried myself but yes I have seen reports on internet that sl1 can do this  :P

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/70d-hdmi-out/m-p/89214/highlight/true#M7780

Yeah, I read that. Both posters realized that it wasn't clean HDMI out. Its not the same as the clean HDMI out as with the  5DMark3.

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on December 03, 2015, 06:47:57 AM
I just tried and can confirm this as well. But will need to double check the true resolution size because I don't think it's full HD either but close enough.

Are you for real bruh? LOL. Did you capture the footage on an HDMI recorder?
Canon EOS Rebel SL1/100D | Canon EOS Rebel T3/1100D | EF 50mm III | EF-S 18-55mm IS II | EF-S 18-55mm IS II/ STM | EF-S 55-250mm IS II | Sima LED Camera Light | Zoom H1

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Brand Brand on December 03, 2015, 07:01:05 AM
Are you for real bruh? LOL. Did you capture the footage on an HDMI recorder?

Actually my wrong. I just reconfirmed that it does not appear to be full HD clean HDMI out from this camera.

Oops I did it again and sorry for jumping on the gun with this one, guys!

Walter Schulz

Felipe

WITH ML, You have to set clear overlays while recording so will be clean, but it scales down around 10-15%
Also use autohide focus box.
650D-700D

Haxorinator

Hello!  I'm new to the magiclantern forums and am EXTREMELY excited to hear about development for the 100D/SL1.  I was shocked to find out that it has been taking this long to solve BUT definitive proof of progress is.. promising.

Without my SL1 in my hands (arriving from repair Monday) I have some questions about this ML alpha build.

1.  Does this enable RAW video recording?  If so, what is the max resolution, bitrate?  (If someone who has their SL1 can verify please)
2.  Does this enable Bitrate changes?  (The SL1 currently shoots at 5.5Mb/s or 44mbps at 1080P 30/24)
3.  Does this enable higher framerates?
4.  Has anyone heard of a "brick" yet?

I did not see definitive answers in the other pages or by the other replies.

Also, (not to be rude, I'm interested in the technical aspect) I want to know WHY development for the SL1 is so difficult?  It has literally the same internals as the EOS M, and very similar to the T5i or T4i.  Why is it that the SL1 is more difficult?

Regardless, amazing work.  My faith has been restored in ML for the SL1 (I actually gave up.. thought maybe ML was dying ): )

Will be trying this out on Monday! :D
Canon 100D.100B
50mm f1.4 + kit lens
Sandisk Ultra 32Gb UHS-1 Class 10