Canon 100D / SL1

Started by nikfreak, October 19, 2015, 10:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Cool, never exfat my cards. Good to know this.

Walter Schulz

Haven't tested it lately but some time ago on 650D you needed ExFAT or raw/mlv recording terminated after a few seconds.
Never tried to investigate why but switched to ExFAT for this very reason.

alpicat

This is also an issue with the EOS M. I've just been shortening the lua script file names every time a new build comes out - but the full file name remains in the magic lantern scripts menu so it's not a problem.

OlRivrRat

But with that out of the way >

I am also not getting the Same Scripts Display that Dannes Vid shows.

The "SD overclock-adtg_gui helper" choice is not Displayed.

ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

Walter Schulz

It is. 6th item from top.

Danne

Thanks everyone. Posted two new builds with hopefully exfat compatible names.
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-Nightly.2018Jun16.100D101_2.5k.zip
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-Nightly.2018Jun16.EOSM202_2.5k.zip

@OlRivrRat
SD overclock-adtg_gui helper is now only adtg_gui helper. I skipped the included sd_uhs prepart. You can run the enable SD overclocking script first and then run the adtg_gui helper after that. Or if you want them both in one swoop copy paste sd_uhs content into the adtg_gui helper...

OlRivrRat

Wondering if that might be the case, I had tried running adtg_helper & when it finishes I am left with

a Mostly Black LiveView Screen with a Green Square covering Top Just Left of center about 20% of LV

+ another below it that is Flashing green.

I also tried running both adtg_helper & sd_uhs in auto & in that case it appears as though AH runs 1st

followed by SDHC & all seems to finish OK but I get no access to any Res Higher than 2520x1076.

Update > Just tried again & now get 2520x1304

OlRivrRat

Just retried & ended up getting Mem Error & Crash > Have CrashLog if wanted.

Danne

I suggest only running the adtg gui helper script. The green stuff happens sometimes. If you press menu button a few times and the zoom back to 5x zoom it should work. Welcome to adtg_gui world.
Also see to it that global draw is set to off.

OlRivrRat

With Latest "magiclantern-Nightly.2018Jun17.100D101_2.5k"

I get Lots of Verbosity on Screen. Doesn't seem @All Happy.

Danne

Do you get any clip recorded?

OlRivrRat

Didn't try > When things appeared to be Very Not Normal, I figured it best to get the heck out.

Then got busy doing other stuff.

Danne

4k version
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-Nightly.2018Jun16.100D101_4k.zip

Thanks to Levas, Bilal, Nikfreak

Automation if wanted via lua script. Reworked/renamed to adtg_gui helper

OlRivrRat

"magiclantern-Nightly.2018Jun20.100D101_4k"
Not able to get it to capture & record

Danne

Thanks for testing but please elaborate. Are you getting the scrambled x5 preview window? What is your aspect ratio when checking raw video settings after running the adtg gui helper script? What happens when you hit record button? Global draw set to off?

Other user getting it to work or not? It´s working here:
100D 4k MLV file:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/M21-0830_4k.MLV

OlRivrRat

GlobalDraw off

Asp' Rat' comes up 3:2.

When it does go into 4k (which is seldom, norm is 2520x1072) LV is Scrambled & it seems to attempt a Rec but quits instantly & puts nothing on SD.

If I set FPSO to 16 with Res showing 2520x1072 it will Rec.

OlRivrRat

Previous info was if "adtg_gui helper" & "enable SD O'Clk" are set to Autorun

If I run "adtg_gui helper" Manually by self I get Scrambled LV & a "Mem' error"

Not sure how but just got "RAW video  ON, 4080x2556" to show but now LV is Black, stuck in x1 zoom

& get RAW error when I attempt REC

Way to much going on here for My Low Latent Inhibition to allow Me to keep track of what it is I do that causes what to happen.

IDA_ML

Hello Danne,

I have finally managed to briefly test two of your latest 100D builds.  Here is some feedback:

The "magiclantern-Nightly.2018Jun17.100D101_sd_uhs" build:
========================================

This one is very close to the perfect 100D build.  A few things that need a fix:

1) To get correct framing during filming just on pressing half shutter is not a good idea.  This introduces additional camera shake.  Your old June 5-th build was much better in that respect - it showed correct framing right away, without the need to press half shutter but unfortunately, that build was not stable enough  So, please reverse this! 

2) In-camera playback does no longer work.  It provides a black screen while the red LED is blinking.  This needs a fix because in-camera playback is very important to quckly check if the recorded clip is OK.  I use it all the time!

3) The maximum resolution now is 2520x1072 but it used to be 2520x1080.  It would be nice to revert to the old 1080p vertical resolution.

The "magiclantern-Nightly.2018Jun16.100D101_2.5k" build
======================================

This development is of ultimate practical importance because of the extremely useful 2520x1304 resolution (1.93 aspect ratio, very close to 16:9).  When I turn camera on and let it run the initialization procedure with GD Off I get the following info on the RAW video screen:

"64.5 MHz, 12x4.7 MB, 24.019p (49%).  Expect 83-255 frames at 58.8 MB/s"

Fantastic, isn't it?  When I press "record", however, I get between 16 and 633 corrupt frames recorded.  The corruption is an alternating white margin at the bottom of the frame and also earthquake shaking.  The corruption looks every time differently.  If the white margin is very wide (80% of the frame height), I get long recording times.  If it is small (20% of the frame height), I get about 60 frames recorded.

Also, when I try in-camera playback, it sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't.  If it works, after the plyback I get either a frozen screen or a flickering one with a green square on it.  I have to restart camera and wait for it to initialize to be able to record the next clip.  But GOOD NEWS: Sound gets recorded and clips open nicely in MLVApp!

EDIT:
====

I finally got this 2520x1304 (2.35:1) mode working without corrupt frames. Here is what I did:

1) I followed exactly the steps in Danne's video instruction, disabling Global Draw and activating only the 4 modules from the video.

2) I restarted the camera in Photo mode and ran the SD-overclocking script.  This can be done automatically by activating the Autorun option.  It works!

3) Then I switched to Video Mode and ran the "adtg_gui helper" script MANUALLY (The Autorun option did not work).

4) I checked the resolution (should be 2520x1304) and bit rate (should be 14-bit lossless) and started recording. 

Inspecting the clips on the PC with MLVApp I found the following:

5) No corrupt frames !!!  Video quality is fantastic, the vision too !

6) A normally lit scene yields between 40 and 50 frames at 24 fps.  With darker scenes, I got up to 83 frames recorded. 

7) Recording with the sound module activated and sound enabled reduces the recording time by about 50%.

Bottom line:
========

Trying to get an even faster overclocking  speeds on the 100D is highly desirable to get more reasonable recording times on the 100D. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very encouraging, Danne and everyone else involved in this exciting development!  Thank you so much for this fantastic work!  I think, combining these two builds into a working new build will turn this little 100D beast into a mighty RAW-video machine.

Danne

Quote from: IDA_ML on June 27, 2018, 11:15:30 AM
1) To get correct framing during filming just on pressing half shutter is not a good idea.  This introduces additional camera shake.  Your old June 5-th build was much better in that respect - it showed correct framing right away, without the need to press half shutter but unfortunately, that build was not stable enough  So, please reverse this! 

2) In-camera playback does no longer work.  It provides a black screen while the red LED is blinking.  This needs a fix because in-camera playback is very important to quckly check if the recorded clip is OK.  I use it all the time!

The fix on june 5th was this:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/commits/c626d8f83883094789ff6bcf83cd26b35dc7e0db?at=crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_snd_sd_uhs_HDR_ext_all_bits

regarding 1)
It enables global draw so that previewing full x5 zoom image will work. Some other missing features, defishing, anamorphic were also added.
How do you mean with "correct framing right away"? Surely x5 zoom is showing only a portion of the image when selected?
Lastly. If you turn preview to Auto or disable global draw, are you still having issues?

regarding 2)
I thought the the june 5th commit would fix also mlv_play issues but that seems not to be the case. I am really clueless why it works sometimes and others not. Eosm seems much more stable here.

IDA_ML

Quote from: Danne on June 27, 2018, 12:52:28 PM

regarding 1)
It enables global draw so that previewing full x5 zoom image will work. Some other missing features, defishing, anamorphic were also added.
How do you mean with "correct framing right away"? Surely x5 zoom is showing only a portion of the image when selected?
Lastly. If you turn preview to Auto or disable global draw, are you still having issues?

regarding 2)
I thought the the june 5th commit would fix also mlv_play issues but that seems not to be the case. I am really clueless why it works sometimes and others not. Eosm seems much more stable here.

Danne,

In my previous post I was comparing your June 17-th build, that I found on your download area yesterday, with the June 5-th build that you created on June 5-th.  The main differences I described in #1 and #2 in that post.   With "correct framing right away" I mean the following behavior that I observed with the June 5-th build and that works very well for me:

1) If I want to record in the 2520x1072 resolution, I press the magnification button twice to get into 5x-magnification mode.  The camera preview stays at that 5x-magnification just for 1 or 2 seconds and then switches automatically to another preview window which I will call "what you see is what you get (WYSIWYG)" preview.  This WYSIWYG preview is in color, moves with camera and allows to see exactly how my clip will look like when recorded.  When I start recording, the WYSIWYG preview turns black and white but follows the camera movement and allows precise framing during filming.  Very useful from the practical point of view!

With the June 17-th build, also the one that you posted just an hour ago, the preview behavior is different if the preview mode is set to "Real time" instead to "Auto".  After the magnification button is pressed twice to get into 5x-magnification mode, the camera stays in the 5x-magnification mode all the time, also during recording, and if I need a WYSIWYG preview, I have to press and hold down half shutter for the entire time I want it.  This causes camera shake and ruins the shot. That is why, I said, that activating WYSIWYG preview with a half shutter is not a good idea.  The June 5-th solution is much better since it does that automatically, just with an insignificant delay!  This is when the default "Auto" preview setting is used.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as #2 is concerned, in-camera playback was really not working with the old June 17-th build.  It produced a black screen while the red LED was blinking.  Fortunately, in the new version of that build, that you have just uploaded, in-camera playback works just fine.  One thing that should be taken into account is that you shouldn't press the playback button immediately after the clip has been recorded.  It is better to wait a few seconds before viewing it, even if the LED has stopped blinking. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instabilities that I have noticed with the June 5-th build:
===================================

1) Sometimes, automatic WYSIWYG preview may fail to engage.  Turning camera Off and On again resolves it.
2) Sometimes, in-camera playback produces a black screen - may happen if you do not wait a little before pressing the playback button after the clip has been recorded. Turning camera Off and On again resolves it.
3) Sometimes you get text messages running all over the screen. Turning camera Off and On again resolves it.
4) Sometimes you may get one or two corrupt frames.  This happens mostly when you switch from normal (1736x976) mode to 5x-magnification mode or vice versa.  Checking the first clip after mode switching with in-camera playback is a must! Subsequent clips usually do not have corrupt frames. I observe the same behavior with the 7D too.

Further testing is necessary to confirm the above glitches and to get used to proper camera handling that avoids them but my overall impression is that this June 5-th build is stable and convenient enough for serious work.

Danne

Strange. Preview mode shouldn't differ in june 5th and 17th build.
What are they set to when checking in preview mode setting in under raw menu settings? Auto, Real-time or framing?
Will have to test myself with my 100D. Not with me atm.

IDA_ML

Danne,

I am sorry, I did not check the "Preview mode" at 5x magnification when I was testing today's version of the June 17-th build.  Now I noticed that it was set to "Real Time".  As soon as I set it to "Auto", the WySiWyG preview started to appear automatically.  When I press the focusing back button, the preview changes to 5x-magnification which makes it easy to check focus.  Very cool!

theBilalFakhouri

@IDA_ML

Quote from: IDA_ML on June 27, 2018, 11:15:30 AM
This development is of ultimate practical importance because of the extremely useful 2520x1304 resolution (1.93 aspect ratio, very close to 16:9).  When I turn camera on and let it run the initialization procedure with GD Off and 10-bit lossless ...

12-8bit lossless isn't working in higher resolutions --> Only 14-bit lossless .

IDA_ML

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on June 27, 2018, 05:16:15 PM
@IDA_ML

12-8bit lossless isn't working in higher resolutions --> Only 14-bit lossless .

OK, thanks, Bilal.  I have edited my post.

Have you got an idea why the 100D produces corrupt frames while the EOS-M works perfectly fine at 2520x1304 resolution?