Magic Lantern 2.3 and overheating 600d

Started by Franco, July 24, 2012, 12:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franco

Hi,
I installed Magic lantern 2.3 on my Canon 600d. It work fine but i thing that it cause an overheating..magic lantern show 223 raw as temperature but all work ok, no crashes. Is it ok? With the previous version of magic lantern (xmas edition) i didn't have that problem,if it is a problem  :)
Thanks to all

scrax

my 600D shows 150 raw today that it's cold, when an hot day it's 164 - 167 with 2.3
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Franco

When i turn on the camera for the first time ML show about 160 raw..after some hours of using it arrives about 230 raw..is it normal? What is the safe limit of temperature for the sensor?
PS.Sorry for the bad english

a1ex

It's normal and the same happens with Canon firmware. When you will reach that limit you will get warnings and then the camera will turn off.

Franco

Chungdha

As overheating issue is not the sensor overheating as always is the battery discharging, just replace the battery. Another tip is not to carry batteries in your pants as the temperature be same as your body heat just carry inside a bag so they wont be hot before you put in you camera. Lately if you film in full sun it bound to overheat like crazy need to have someone with a umbrella to keep the camera in the shadows to it overheat less.

Leigho

You shouldn't be shooting for hours with a DSLR. Get a video camera, the features are much more catered to continuous shooting.

1%

I've been shooting at high bit rates.. my sensor doesn't get much about 170 but card is HOT and so is the back behind the lcd.

Michael Zöller

I'm wondring if remote-powering the camera through a cable and external battery pack could really improve the situation? Can't do the same with the card, though.
neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40

Franco

I use my Eos 600d with battery grip,i stressed it a lot doing some tests to be sure that all is ok and to try the new features of ML 2.3 (during that tests temperature arrived about 230 raw)..with a "normal" recording use all is ok..also the temperature..stay on 180-185 raw

Shirazcab

I din't see this post before I posted yesterday but I have noticed the same phenomenon on my 550D with 2.3. Even when I used my camera on holiday in Europe when the local temperature was around 28 degrees I didn't notice the battery getting hot, yet last night at home where it was around 21 degrees my camera battery started escalating quickly. Not dangerously so but enough to make me want to shut down the camera after half an hour. I'm going to experiment a bit more but may go back to 2.2 as I had using it down to a fine art, whereas I'm still on the 2.3 learning curve. Once some more of the introductory niggles have been dealt with I'll try it again. Full of admiration for the developers though - there are some great new features but for me it's not quite there yet.