50D seems to be partially bricked

Started by analbeard, August 14, 2012, 08:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

analbeard

Ok, so i was planning on updating to ML2.3 so i downloaded 1.0.9 for my 50D, grabbed the camera and turned it on to make sure i knew what settings i wanted to restore afterwards, and the camera doesn't work :( it turns on, shows information on the top lcd display, it'll focus using the back button but won't shoot, no buttons on the back work, the screen doesn't come on.

help :(

edit: i should say that i installed the previous release of ML on the 12th so i could familiarise myself with it before 2.3 was released, the camera was working fine up until i installed ML

further edit: this describes my symptoms exactly https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issue/187/may-have-bricked-my-550d-need-help

further further edit: removing the battery for 20+ seconds seems to have resolved the issue. how can this happen? what did i do to cause it?

ilguercio

You encountered some sort of bug which caused the camera not to turn off completely.
Most Canon cameras have the top LCD and the AF working even though they seem to be locked up.
Removing the battery turns off all the instances that might be running on camera and clears the RAM.
The battery was draining because it was being used even thought the lever was set to off.
Everytime you encounter a locked up camera PULL THE BATTERY OUT so everything stops.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

analbeard

that's VERY useful to know, thank you! i'm going to try upgrading to 2.3 now, hopefully that goes a little more smoothly