5dMKIII - Mapping Magic Zoom to half-shutter button

Started by [email protected], October 11, 2015, 09:47:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

[email protected]

Hi guys,

I know this has been requested before last year, but after having had to use an original 7D with the latest Nightly Build of Magic Lantern, I was blown away by the possibilities it gave this 'old' camera.

Most importantly though, it rejuvenated my passion for Magic Zoom, which always seemed a bit gimmicky to me at first. Mapped to the 7D's shutter release button you can just quickly call it up, when needed and it is a real help for focus checks and for preparing rack focus while shooting. What a great feature!

Once I got my hands back on the 5D MkIII, I immediately jumped into the ML menu, to try and set up exactly the same functionality, but as it turns out, the only button you're allowed to map this function to, is the cursed Zoom button on the left hand side. This button is probably the biggest design flaw of the 5D MkIII and I generally map the zoom function to the SET button to bring it over to the right, but ML doesn't respect that either. On top of that, since I'm using Zacuto's cable pincher a lot, it becomes even harder to access this button.

I know, you can set Magic Zoom to activate once you turn the focus wheel on the lens, but I consider this a little too disruptive, i.e. you can't check focus without risking to lose it and preparing a rack focus becomes very hit and miss.

So, here's my question: Is there any way, to re-code the latest 5D MkIII Nightly Build, to allow the mapping of Magic Zoom to the shutter/half-shutter button? If not, any button on the right (SET, AE-Lock, AF-Poin-Selection) will do.

This would be an amazing feature to add and boost the usability of this camera even more.

All the best, Phil

Lars Steenhoff

Stedda

A quick search will show you this is asked for often and the answer hasn't changed... it's not currently possible.
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

[email protected]

Hey Stedda,

Yes, I noticed that it had been asked before, but as far as I could see, there hadn't been an answer from the ML community on the issue. Since the last feature request regarding Magic Zoom on the shutter button was a year old, I thought it might be good to bring it up again. I appreciate, that it's not currently possible, I was just wondering why, if the 7D (and from my web research even the 60D/XXXD series) had the option of using the shutter button as the Magic Zoom trigger. But I'm aware, that 're-programming' a piece of digital equipment as complex as a DSLR is a difficult issue. Now that you informed me what is currently possible, I understand that there are reasons the current setup is as it as right now. Cheers.

And honestly, a big thanks for the amazing work ML has done so far!

Best, Phil