Help, WB problem in RAW !

Started by Juriaan, September 30, 2015, 11:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juriaan

Hey everyone,

I'm not sure whether this has been discussed already but I'm new to RAW and had my first day of shooting last week.
The white balance (in the ML menu and in the Canon menu) was set to 5K and the display was showing typical 5k colors as well

In adobe raw, however, the DNG images open with 50.000 Kelvin and the 'tint' is all the way down. Adobe claims that this is 'As shot'
Now this can be easily adjusted of course, but I wasn't sure whether there would lead to a loss of detail/info when lowering the WB by such a big amount in post..

Does this ring a bell to anyone or is it just simply how adobe tends to open DNG's maybe?

DeafEyeJedi

Well you never mentioned which converter you used?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Levas

It's raw, of course there is no loss in detail/info  ;D

It's probably the converter, I have some of those dng's too, white balance way of, purple images.
It's the converter that writes the WB presets to the dng, but it's only presets, no loss in detail/ image info

Juriaan

Thanks for helping out

I used RAW magic lite, but I seem to have overcome this by setting the camera to auto WB. The DNG's that come out of this don't have this anymore. Sure it could be the converter?

I'm not too tech-savvy but it's good to hear that there's no loss of info, thanks. Saves me days of re-shooting :)

dmilligan

If you shoot raw (and not MLV format) there is no WB metadata (or any other metadata, it's really just a dump of the sensor readout). If you want metadata you need to use MLV. Then you also need to use a converter that actually reads and handles the WB metadata correctly. I'm aware of 2 converters that do: MLVFS and raw2cdng. Once the DNG module PR I have open is merged, then mlv_dump will also handle WB correctly.

RawMagic is not supported here (GPL violation).

Danne

@dmilligan.
Is this dng module PR the same as when compiling mlv_dump through your branch? Last I tried I got wb readings way off when viewing exported dng frames. It would be one nice upgrade to mlv_dump with correct wb I,d say.