T3I video, Magic Lantern with default settings. Straight out of Camera.

Started by Dry Creek Ranch, September 30, 2015, 12:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Creek Ranch

So this is my first video, with default ML settings, nice huh? Can someone give me a idea of what is happening here please? File Size 3.44 gb Duration:10:32
Any input would be appreciated,
Bill

https://youtu.be/xwcBX_c6Fvg
Canon T3I, current night build (installed 9-22-2015)
EFS 18-55 MM, Canon 50 MM 1.8 "Nifty Fifty", Tokina SD 11-16 MM F2.8 (IF) DX, GoPro Hero 3. Glidecam XR=1000
Adobe Premiere Pro CS 6 & Lightroom 5.6.

Dry Creek Ranch

EFS 18-55 MM, Canon 50 MM 1.8 "Nifty Fifty", Tokina SD 11-16 MM F2.8 (IF) DX, GoPro Hero 3. Glidecam XR=1000

Dry Creek Ranch

ItsMeLenny

Magic Lantern doesn't do anything to your photos or video (unless you enable the few tweaks that there are for h.264).
One feature that ML adds is RAW video, but that's something you have to enable and then post process afterwards.
The point of ML for most part is overlays and such so you can see colour peaking and focus peaking, things like that.
The few features for normal video that will actually effect the video are a things like zero sharpness and cartoon effects.
Hope this helps.

Dry Creek Ranch

Well, it surely changed my shooting quality.So maybe ML is not for me? I am a entry level photographer, trying to learn videography
This was on a overcast morning and ANY light source appears infrared in my display.
Bill

cmccullum

I'm really not sure what we are supposed to be seeing here... The first video looks like you're having problems with lens flare, and the second seems to be over exposed. Neither of these things would be caused by ML. What problems specifically should viewers be looking for in these videos?

Dry Creek Ranch

What would cause the lens flare? It was overcast and I have not changed any setting in ML. I guess I was wrong in assuming that ML was changing my video settings.

Dry Creek Ranch

i just walked outside, it is completely overcast. in ML the sky is completely flared out, like infrared, but if I disable ML it is fine. I will do a fixed 10 second video of each if needed.
EDIT: Until I get a better understanding of ML, I will use it for time lapse only, as that is straight forward.

dmilligan

"completely flared out, like infrared" Are you talking about zebras? The zebras show you areas of overexposure, but they are only visible on the display, they are not actually recorded.

Zebras are an incredibly useful ML feature (for both stills and video), because they let you easily see exactly what is overexposed.

You can disable them in the Overlay menu if you like.

Dry Creek Ranch

dmilligan, ty for the input. I am new to it & still learning. It would be nice to do a round table learning tutorial for us newbies of ML.
Bill

st599

Video is overexposed.

You need to set the shutter speed to 1/50th, then adjust aperture and ISO to get the correct exposure.

Measure exposure using zebras, personally I set them to about 75%, then adjust so that some parts of Caucasian skin is just starting to zebra.