650D | T4i ML Raw Test

Started by Mehmet Kozal, December 16, 2014, 01:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mehmet Kozal

Hi there,

I had tried ML raw on my 650D a few months ago and gave up on the idea after seeing that really heavy aliasing and moire [and other stuff].
I live in UK now and brick walls, trees, grass are everywhere. So it is almost unavoidable to not get a tree in the frame, means you will get aliasing.

I currently visited a beautiful place in UK and had some free time. Normally I use H264 with data rate set to 2.6x. I don't know why, but I decided to try ML Raw one more time. To be honest, as long as you don't pause the video and pixel peep, it looked fantastic comparing to H264 compression. Much much more detail and less need of sharpening. Nothing fancy with the video itself and too bad my tripod gets shaky even when it is little windy so I had to apply some digital stabilization and it wiped out a lot of fine detail. But impressed with how it looks.

Workflow:
I converted the .mlv files to DNGs using Mystic with "2x2 chroma smoothing" box checked to get rid of the pink dots. Processed in ACR via After Effects and then edited and graded. I'm pretty sure that this is not the most up to date workflow. So if you have better ideas on ML raw workflow on Mac platform, please share with me. Just don't forget that 650Ds have pink dot issue and chroma smoothing is a must right now [at least this is what I know].

It is definitely doesn't look like a 5D III video. What people do with 5Ds blows my mind. I am definitely not thinking to use ML Raw on 650D in a professional work soon but will keep using it for short videos and experiment with it to understand when it is usable and when it is not.

Probably that's another story if you use a VAF filter though. I don't have it right now so I don't know how good they perform especially if your recording resolution is different than 1080p.
Regarding to the flickering problem, I read some people fixed it by changing the "process" to 2010 from 2012 under "camera calibration" tab in ACR.

Thanks and I want to say I really enjoy watching everyone's work on this forum. Such an amazing community and feeling lucky to witnessing to all of this.
Canon 650D user. Also, Bilal Fakhouri is a hero.

DeafEyeJedi

This is pretty tempting for me to consider buying a used T4i or T5i...

Thanks for sharing...
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Mehmet Kozal

Thanks to you for checking it out DeafEyeJedi.

Mehmet Kozal

Hi again,

I did an another test with my 650D. This time with an VAF filter.

You still get a little aliasing on trees etc but I can tell, it made a lot of difference. Now moire and aliasing in under control enough that I feel safe to film in raw without being have to use 3x crop mode.

Just one thing, images come out really soft when you film with VAF filter in 3x crop mode. So what I would suggest, because it can be hustle to take the filter out and put back in a lot of times, think beforehand for which scenes you will need the crop mode and for which scenes you don't. There is no aliasing or moire when you use crop mode anyway. Really happy with the purchase.

I will do a proper test between h264 and raw, with VAF and without etc. at some point. Just waiting for the weather to be a bit warmer :)

Cheers.

Mehmet Kozal

Another 650D raw video. VAF filter been used [no 3x crop mode].
This time DNGs been created with Mystic. Processed in ACR and been rendered out using AE.

Mehmet Kozal

More ML Raw videos. I also re-processed one of the old videos using Cinelog [instead of doing all in ACR and getting flickering].

I really loved Cinelog ACR workflow and it made things so much faster. I created a preset in ACR with all my settings, then I import all the footage into AFX, creating proxies via "createproxies" script. Then edit the footage, disable proxies, grade them and render out. I achieved the best quality using this workflow. But I'm open to different advices-ideas of course.

For fast turnarounds I prefer using Cinelog's resolve worflow to create Prores XQ log masters and also I add an additional render to create Prores Proxy versions as well. Resolve renders so fast and so easy to apply all the setting to multiple videos that I wish I could use it all the time but fixing the white balance is so much quicker in ACR and no noise reduction in lite version. Maybe if I get Neat Video for Resolve, it can be my only workflow for ML Raw.

Mehmet Kozal

I made a boring video. This raw stuff is still a lot of fun :) and satisfying over h264.

Workflow: MLVFS to AE via ACR. Created proxies then I can edit real-time in AE. Edited the footage. Applied Cinelog to Canon-C transform. Then tweaked it with some curves and added a Lut with a really low opacity.

"I was gigging with a band in Portland, Dorset, UK last week [13 Sep '15] and I found some time to walk around and do some filming, people doing kite surfing and the general beauty of the place. It was crazy windy and proper hustle to try to operate the camera but worth it. A peaceful and a must see place with a gorgeous scenery."

sylvain_c

I really love the colors in your first video, how did you proceed?
5D MKIII 1.1.3

Mehmet Kozal

QuoteI really love the colors in your first video, how did you proceed?

Thanks a lot @sylvain_c. For the first video I only used levels, hue+saturation and channel mixer effects on adjustment layers with different blending modes in After Effects. Cheers.