7d vs 5d iii raw

Started by ggameon, September 23, 2015, 06:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ggameon

Could someone tell me the differece of raw with 7d vs 5d iii.
I have been reading this forum for a while. Sold my 5d mark iii, but do have a 7d. I want to buy some cf cards to shoot raw.
I can't see much difference between the 2, except for the resolution of the 7d raw being slightly lower...is that noticable by looking at it?

If some of you want to share your experience knowledge about this it would be greatly appreciated.

ansius

MOIRE is the difference and low light (both considerably worse on 7D)
Canon EOS 7D & 40D, EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, EF 28-300mm IS USM, Mir-20, Mir-1, Helios 44-5, Zenitar ME1, Industar 50-2, Industar 61L/Z-MC, Jupiter 37A, TAIR-3
http://www.ansius.lv http://ansius.500px.com

DeafEyeJedi

You actually sold 5D3 and kept the 7D for which reasons?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

ggameon

I have done more illogical things....worst i did was to sell a sachtler for very cheap...i promised someone i would and i kept my word and still regret it lol.
I thought the price of the camera wil plummet  thinking the mark iv is on the horizon which proved to be reverse...prices of mark iii in the netherlands are now higher on the secondhand market. I have to say i almost always make a profit on my purchases so they do finace stuff.

So the real difference in raw are the same as in normal use  ( between 7d and 5d iii) ?

I don't care that much about high ISO's the magic is always light everything or find the good light. The luxury of high iso's makes people think that they can solve things with cranking the iso up....you can't in most cases. Sony a7s might be phenomenal but the image sucks in high iso's nonetheless. Obviously i understand high iso for some applications like weddings, but even then better to light it ( even though it is hard, but the hard way is the best way ). Don't believe many who say they don't like to light.....and yet their best work is mostly artificially lighted.

Thanks guys...

So the cheapest cards which also work are lexar ( komputerbay ) 64 gb 1000x+  ?

_OLLE_

A question that came up in my head is, if both cameras are just as well in 60fps raw? Anyone who knows it?

KelvinK

RAW quality is much better on all FF cameras, 5D3 is a king there. Better censors = better quality, leaving behind pixel binning on 5D3. 
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

ggameon

What makes you think image quality is better on ff than on some crop kevin??!!
No need to go into the theory, which is much more complicated and not needed for most of us, but you suggest that red or alexa have less of a good image quality than wel....5d mark iii? I'm sure that's not you meant but still it is something to consider ...it just doesn't work that way...

I could make a picture on medium format of 10000+$ and a nex camera of 100$ ( both second hand prices lol ) and i dare anybody to see the difference.

Full frame does have some itrinsic advantages all other things being equal.....but all other things are seldom equal.

I always recommend people not to shoot with something like 5d iii because that makes you not learn the craft. Cranking up the iso is mostly only the last resort....when everything else fails ( iso performance and maybe...just maybe in some cases the dof  are the only advantages of a ff sensor)

Nevertheless i never got an answer about the difference between raw from 7d and the 5diii.
Iso etc have nothing to do with the raw.

Thanks if anyone have some experience with this and would like to share his/ her experience in this matter

allemyr

Hopefully some one has experience of both cameras. I haven't seen much footage from the 7D , I just follow the 5D3 raw video group on vimeo, but what I've seen is that antialiasing and moire is quite good on 7D, not like the terrible 5D MKII.
But the thing is that I really like the 5D3 sensor it's so smooth and so on, maybe it's might be to good, so when it's cheaper comes cheaper you should buy one again it's my advice! :)

ansius

well, I've shot with both, 7D moire us awful, only workaround is to shoot crop (zoomed in center part), but there is the lens issue then. 5Dmk3 binds lines, so much less moire - better picture using whole sensor. 7D gets hot much faster, lucky I'm in rather cold climate so it has never failed on this, but have had the warning show up tough.

I would go with 5Dmk3 for sure, especially raw. tough 7D can be made usable - more hassle tough. 7Dmk2 wold be another game, 7Dmk2 seams to bind pixels ans is 60p so hope is in the air. someday...
Canon EOS 7D & 40D, EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, EF 28-300mm IS USM, Mir-20, Mir-1, Helios 44-5, Zenitar ME1, Industar 50-2, Industar 61L/Z-MC, Jupiter 37A, TAIR-3
http://www.ansius.lv http://ansius.500px.com

ggameon

Thanks guys there are so many "previously" unthinkable advances in the camera capabilities that it's insane. Canon holds its value pretty well and the prices in the Netherlands have gone even up for the 5d iii lol since i sold it.

In most cases 7d moire etc is acceptable it's basically the same as most other models except a few like the 5diii. 7d mark ii  when hacked will be really great, but i'm assuming it will take a while untill someone will get that one working in raw.

budafilms

@ggameon

Put links with your videos to check your skills and comparation between 7d and 5d raw.

shankar101