ML on EOS-M2

Started by Palpatine, September 22, 2015, 02:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wushuliu

Quote from: ZEEK on October 06, 2019, 08:35:11 AM
No, the 480p thing was with mv1080 a lot of builds ago before we had mcm rewire. It works with mcm rewire 1080 no need to set 480 on the monitor. The M2 works well with my different monitors such as the FOTGA A50T and the Feelworld 4K Monitor F570.

"WARNING" - Just make sure you "TURN OFF" Wi-fi when using an external monitor on the EOS M2, otherwise nothing will show up ;)

Thanks Zeek.

I received my M2 last week. I've spent that time learning ML but was mystified why I could not achieve any higher than ~1376x5xx continuous, regardless of setting (I did a lot of testing with different settings). Even worse, the performance seemed to be slowly getting worse over time. From ~23-24MB/s down to 20-21. Never anywhere close to 30. I used a brand new 128GB Extreme Pro 95 UHS-I ordered from Ebay. Finally I decided to buy another card from a local electronics chain - this time a 64GB 170 Extreme Pro. Now I get 33mb/s and continuous no problem. I don't know if the 128 was fake or a bad batch being offloaded for cheap or just bad luck. But I thought it worth mentioning.

Walter Schulz

According to an unverifiable source around 30 percent of all SD-cards offered by non-official dealers are faked.
If you purchase a card from such a source a thorough after-buy check is mandatory (in all other cases highly recommended).

Check for faked speed specification:
- Fast cardreader + PC + a benchmark program like CrystalDiskMark (Windows) or Blackmagic Disk Speed Test (macOS).
  You only need to run sequential R/W. Compare with benchmark runs from reliable sources like www.cameramemoryspeed.com

Check for faked capacity number:
- Cardreader + PC + h2testw (Windows) or f3/F3 QT (macOS)
  If capacity info is altered by some crook you will get serious data corruption because cam will overwrite data recorded previously if physical storage limit is reached. Cam's firmware (and your PC, too) rely on card's info set to be correct and will not check if data set numbers and reality match.

ZEEK

Agree 100% with Walter here.
These sellers who sell fake copies are pathetic in their intentions. I've bought all my cards locally; SanDisk, Lexar PRO 1000x, you name it.
Even whilst I had the BMPCC I had cards that would work and some that wouldn't with it.

Key is to know the difference between the fake and real ones and run benchmarks as mentioned above.

The M2 is fabulous by the way, really loving the WiFi support for editing photos on the go in Snapseed.
EOS M

Wushuliu

Quote from: Walter Schulz on October 14, 2019, 11:02:28 AM
According to an unverifiable source around 30 percent of all SD-cards offered by non-official dealers are faked.
If you purchase a card from such a source a thorough after-buy check is mandatory (in all other cases highly recommended).

Check for faked speed specification:
- Fast cardreader + PC + a benchmark program like CrystalDiskMark (Windows) or Blackmagic Disk Speed Test (macOS).
  You only need to run sequential R/W. Compare with benchmark runs from reliable sources like www.cameramemoryspeed.com

Ok, thanks Walter. With Transcend USB3.0 card reader I got:
SD 95  = Seq. Read of 92mb/s and 27mb/s write.
SD 170 = R 94mb/s and W 84mb/s.

I guess I got a fake one alright. Thanks for the info guys.

chrissul13

So i've been trying one of the versions that was put out here earlier and i really like it but i'm experiencing more than the normal amount of graphical glitches and i'm assuming i'm using an older version.  wha'ts the latest and greatest?  My version does do Raw and Focus peaking which were 2 things i really wanted, but it hangs or crashes more than what anyone else is mentioning. 

Thanks for the help, amazing work on this

DeafEyeJedi

Latest and greatest are usually located in @Danne's bitbucket download page:

https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Danne

In this case not so. For now I refer to ZEEK who uses a mixed build.
Sorry, no time atm for this cam.

Wushuliu

Could someone explain what exactly 4k Anamorphic means as used in the M/2? I am trying to read as many threads as I can but it's hard to trace origins/definitions of terms. For instance I'm playing around with the M2 and I see I can turn on 4k Anamorphic at x3 Crop with Raw set to 1736x868 (2:1).

x3 Crop I understand, Raw mode I understand, but '4k' Anamorphic isn't clear to me (yes, I know what traditional 'anamorphic' means).

Could someone shed some insight? It would be much appreciated.

Whatever it means, I was able to record about a min straight at ~54MB/s.

Danne

You can read about what´s going on with the regular 1st gen eosm:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

These presets mostly don´t apply to the eos m2 atm. If you really want it working you need to take the long route and learn about compiling and to understand the code around magic lantern. There are also specific issues with eos m2 such as freezes, only working stable with raw_slurp disabled etc. Not solved yet so don´t expect too much here.

Wushuliu

Quote from: Danne on October 17, 2019, 09:55:30 AM
You can read about what´s going on with the regular 1st gen eosm:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

These presets mostly don´t apply to the eos m2 atm. If you really want it working you need to take the long route and learn about compiling and to understand the code around magic lantern. There are also specific issues with eos m2 such as freezes, only working stable with raw_slurp disabled etc. Not solved yet so don´t expect too much here.

Thanks. I don't necesarrily need it working, just wanted to know how what it meant/how it works. I think I found the relevant information after more searching.

I have an EOS M on the way, since it looks like that's where the bulk of development is right now.

chrissul13

I had raw working exactly like i wanted and loved it...then i recorded stuff today and the files completely disappeared.  The space is 'used' on the card but i cannot seem to locate them.  Any recommendations on how to scan for the MLV files?  I was able to see them in the camera viewer before i pulled the card out but now i can't find a trace.

Aperture Science

Quote from: chrissul13 on October 23, 2019, 01:08:17 AM
I had raw working exactly like i wanted and loved it...then i recorded stuff today and the files completely disappeared.  The space is 'used' on the card but i cannot seem to locate them.  Any recommendations on how to scan for the MLV files?  I was able to see them in the camera viewer before i pulled the card out but now i can't find a trace.

Look at the name of the file in the mlv_play, and search it in your computer

ZEEK

Hey guys, I was just wondering if there is at all any way we could get 2.5K working on the EOS M2? If Not, that's okay, but it would be cool to see if the M2 could record for longer in this mode. Cheers! 8)
EOS M

Danne

Longer? How so?
Isn't x5 zoom enabling 2.5k already?

ZEEK

The EOS M for me requires a warm up, at least one recording upon startup, before it can record continuously (it may be just my experience), but the M2 barely ever stops. Even with 14 bit raw (not lossless it has recorded a good length) so i was just guessing that the m2 may perform well with 2.5K @full resolution dunno.

About the x5 zoom, I can't find that feature anywhere (looking for the magnify glass). I'll see if I can download the m2 manual. But looking at the live view and cycling through info all I can find is digital zoom 3-10x.
EOS M

itx

Hello all.

i tried this build: crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_EOSM2_dfort_2019Jul27.EOSM2103.zip

I found that I can't enter into ML menu if the dial on mode 2 and set custom function - trash button function (C.FnIV 6) into one of these two:
1:Depth-of-field preview
2:ISO speed

regards

wbajzek

Quote from: itx on November 07, 2019, 05:19:51 AM
Hello all.

i tried this build: crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_EOSM2_dfort_2019Jul27.EOSM2103.zip

I found that I can't enter into ML menu if the dial on mode 2 and set custom function - trash button function (C.FnIV 6) into one of these two:
1:Depth-of-field preview
2:ISO speed

regards

I think that's to be expected, because you've remapped the function of that button? In any case, it should work if you switch to movie mode first (as a workaround).

Wushuliu

Quote from: ZEEK on November 06, 2019, 11:49:50 PM
i was just guessing that the m2 may perform well with 2.5K @full resolution dunno.

Yes, I sense the force is strong with the M2.

ZEEK

Quote from: Wushuliu on November 08, 2019, 10:53:57 PM
Yes, I sense the force is strong with the M2.

It may have the "High Ground" ;D
EOS M

Wushuliu

Doing some head to head comparisons with M2 v. M. M2 shows focus dots, even with pixel maps loaded. I use 3x3 Chroma smooth, which helps to a great degree however when watching footage on a large 4k TV, banding is still visible:

It's harder to see with a still frame.

This is with MCMRewire 24fps 1/50 (sometimes 1/55) shutter speed at 400 ISO. But also present at 100 ISO.

ZEEK

For the M2, I copied all the focus pixel maps in the folder and dragged them into MLV App and now there are no more focus pixels/dots present in each file with the M2.
EOS M

Wushuliu

Quote from: ZEEK on November 20, 2019, 12:44:38 AM
For the M2, I copied all the focus pixel maps in the folder and dragged them into MLV App and now there are no more focus pixels/dots present in each file with the M2.

Yeah, I've tried that. Downloaded the repository, did a drag and drop of all the maps as well as pasting them in the same folder as mlvapp. No luck.

ZEEK

Are you using the merged M2 ML Build or DForts M2 ML Build?
EOS M

Wushuliu

Quote from: ZEEK on November 20, 2019, 02:01:33 AM
Are you using the merged M2 ML Build or DForts M2 ML Build?

Using the M2 build listed from your recent M2 Raw AF video (I recently rebuilt my PC and didn't want to hunt down my previous files on my other drive, so I just downloaded your link).

ZEEK

Ah cool!  8) The focus pixels appear usually in x3 crop mode or anamorphic mode on the M2. But none exist for the MCM  Rewire MLV Files.
EOS M