ML on EOS-M2

Started by Palpatine, September 22, 2015, 02:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Quote from: GiacoAV on August 07, 2019, 10:13:05 AM
@Danne Any news about dev on the M2 ? I see new builds on the M every 5 days or so but nothing on the M2 for more
than a week :)

Not that the builds that we have right now are unusable don't get me wrong, but that the better strategy is to work as much as possible on the M2 so it catches it's feature/rec mode gap than add features to both the M and M2, at least that's what I'm thinking, you're the dev and it's your schedule :D

Still, looking at evolution on the M and the newly added "Switch" menu i'm thinking about getting an M too (Get it hehe, "M too"/M2... I have to go)
I done all I can for the time being on this cam. Feel free to get manpower elsewhere if you are not able to help yourself.

ZEEK

The M2 is really good where it is at now and very stable The only pivotal issue I think is the shutter. The shutter speed increment is incorrect and flickers with indoor or night lights. Even with fps override 24fps  @1/50 the street lights flicker. I guess it's a camera for the day  :D ;D
EOS M

Danne

Try and set to 25 fps either in crop mode submenu or in fps override.

ZEEK

Interesting stuff, thanks Danne! 8)
In the Crop Mode, I enabled 25fps and then set FPS Override 23.976 [Exact FPS] which now = 1/48 ~ 180*  (No More Flicker ;D) Thanks!
EOS M

Danne

What happens if you set canon menu to 25 fps as well?

ZEEK

25 fps ON Canon Menu - It becomes 1/46, 1/60 [with 23.976 fps Override]
25 fps ON Canon Menu - It becomes 1/41, 1/54 [with fps Override OFF]
25 fps ON Canon Menu - It becomes 1/48 [with 24 fps Override]

*The only thing with 25fps in Canon Menu is you cannot record continuous RAW.
EOS M

Stousen

Also, If im correct, you do also really appreciate Dannes work on his spare time ?for you to be able to use your own personal canon m2, right?
Dont forget this, he doesnt work for you. He works for his own interest.

""
If I could i would gladly donate to you Danne, but no way on how to do that yet.
Still interesting to follow all your input and enthusiasm, shining gold in the everyday life.
Thanks.

//Cheis

Quote from: GiacoAV on August 07, 2019, 10:13:05 AM
@Danne Any news about dev on the M2 ? I see new builds on the M every 5 days or so but nothing on the M2 for more
than a week :)

Not that the builds that we have right now are unusable don't get me wrong, but that the better strategy is to work as much as possible on the M2 so it catches it's feature/rec mode gap than add features to both the M and M2, at least that's what I'm thinking, you're the dev and it's your schedule :D

Still, looking at evolution on the M and the newly added "Switch" menu i'm thinking about getting an M too (Get it hehe, "M too"/M2... I have to go)

GiacoAV

Quote from: Stousen on August 07, 2019, 06:09:57 PM
Also, If im correct, you do also really appreciate Dannes work on his spare time ?for you to be able to use your own personal canon m2, right?
Dont forget this, he doesnt work for you. He works for his own interest.

""
If I could i would gladly donate to you Danne, but no way on how to do that yet.
Still interesting to follow all your input and enthusiasm, shining gold in the everyday life.
Thanks.

//Cheis
Yes, yes and yes i know.
I'm by no means different than you in that regard.

My message was by no mean a request for (r)evolution of the current M2 state. I was asking about the dev state, i'm glad i got an answer (Really quick too) and I was giving my opinion about a way to progress if there was so to be made.

The M2 is a very usable and stable camera as of right now and i'm very thankful for the work Danne, Dfort and others have made.

I'm currently in vacations (I hope that you do too and enjoy them) and will try to give a look and tinker around with a fork of Danne's work to try to help the community and M2 owners. Can't promise anything as the only programming language i know are Arduino and Visual Basic, i'm hoping it's C and that i'll understand it :D

Sorry for the misunderstanding, hoping to make it more clear next time, my objective is to give as much help as possible to push the project and community forward.

Cheers, Giaco

Danne

This cam is kind of in a vacuum state. a1ex could work out that freezing bug but it would probably mean going through a lot of code. Priorities.

Aperture Science

Hi Danne,

I send you a personal email
please check :'(

Danne

I did not recieve anything in my inbox.

ZEEK

Hey Danne,
really enjoying testing the M2 at the moment and it's producing really nice videos. I was just wondering if the white level could be adjusted to 14200/15400 on the M2 as it seems to suffer a lot in this area?. The build I'm using is really good and stable with no issues, it's the merged crop_rec from yours and Dforts build of the M2. Thanks a lot!

M2 Build Using:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KrIoucZdcdJZbFeNXmAE6ZUoqdPQmpfm
EOS M

Danne

I got an eosm2 from dfort yesterday. But I have very little time atm and doing other things so I see when I could take a look at this.

ZEEK

Cool. No problem, take your time! :) 
EOS M

chrissul13

I'm wanting to try this out.  I just installed the version listed in Zeek's post on aug-24 at 2:58:09 and it crashed on startup, but eventually got through to let me play around a bit.  is there a different recommended version at this stage or should i keep with this one?

Thanks for ALL of the help, this has been a tremendous amount of progress, so happy to see it come this far.

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Danne on August 24, 2019, 08:47:09 AM
I got an eosm2 from dfort yesterday. But I have very little time atm and doing other things so I see when I could take a look at this.

I'll be standing by w all of my support. M2 has been taken out of it's bag and will take a spin on this build 'EOSM2_dfort_2019Jul27.EOSM2103' from @Danne's Bitbucket for the time being.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

ZEEK

Quote from: chrissul13 on September 02, 2019, 07:15:44 PM
Is there a different recommended version at this stage or should i keep with this one?

Dfort has a few on his page that you can try if you like.
Link:
https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern/downloads/

The one I'm currently using is a merged crop_rec between Dfort and Dannes Build and I haven't had any issues thus far. Been using it to record myself recently, very stable indeed. The only thing I see is "more" pronounced aliasing than the original M...but meh.
Good Luck!
EOS M

dfort

Quote from: ZEEK on September 03, 2019, 04:58:43 AM
The one I'm currently using is a merged crop_rec between Dfort and Dannes Build...

I sent Danne my M2 in order to get that merge working on his experimental branch. In addition, I sort of hit a wall trying to get the M2 ported.

With Danne's help (and of course a1ex) the M2 went from a total disaster to a viable ML port. There's still some tough problems to work out before it can be labeled "stable" but it is getting there.

GiacoAV

Here's the only thing i would like to see changed/fixed in the next build 🙂
Quote from: GiacoAV on July 30, 2019, 03:33:21 PM
Even when "x3crop" is disabled in crop_rec digital zoom is enabled in the Canon menus, thus preventing the use of face tracking and flexizone AF :/

ZEEK

Quote from: dfort on September 03, 2019, 07:44:06 AM
There's still some tough problems to work out before it can be labeled "stable" but it is getting there.

Yeah I heard you sent Danne an M2. Nice one!
I meant stable as in its record time. The Orange light barely blinks and playback doesn't require a reboot at times like the m.

But yes it still needs development in other areas.
EOS M

Danne

Time schedule not known atm. It has a radioactive, piggy color to it as well  :P.

Aperture Science

Hi, I tried using Dual iso on the M2. What I found is the D-R increased from 10ev to 12ev with 100/400 option ON (which is exciting)
However, when I am using MLV App to process the video, I found these interesting lines:
https://youtu.be/B_HAzRzC_RE

I turned both fixing focus pixels and Dual iso options ON and these line appears. But if I only turn on the fixing focus pixels ON, there is not wired lines jumping anymore. I guess this because the MLV App first calculating the Dual ISO images than remove the focus pixels. I will trying remove the focus pixels first and output, than let MLV App calculating the Dual iso value, see what will happen.

masc

MLVApp removes focus pixels before dual iso is processed.
Quote from: Aperture Science on September 09, 2019, 06:41:29 AM
I will trying remove the focus pixels first and output, than let MLV App calculating the Dual iso value, see what will happen.
How you want to do that? Exported MLVs still have focus pixels.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Aperture Science

Quote from: masc on September 09, 2019, 04:40:40 PM
MLVApp removes focus pixels before dual iso is processed.How you want to do that? Exported MLVs still have focus pixels.

Remove the F-D first and output the dng
Than use dual iso dump

masc

Quote from: Aperture Science on September 10, 2019, 05:55:30 PM
Remove the F-D first and output the dng
Than use dual iso dump
Quote from: Aperture Science on September 09, 2019, 06:41:29 AM
... than let MLV App calculating the Dual iso value...
Hm... but MLVApp won't import dng files.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202