ML on EOS-M2

Started by Palpatine, September 22, 2015, 02:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Thanks. Yes, helpful indeed.
What happens when you film with the other build 1736x976 setting? Also getting that black space as ZEEK?

GiacoAV

Hey all !
Received my M2 3 days ago (Got a huge deal : 22mm f2+18-55+50 f1.8 STM for 400€ :o) and i've been tinkering around with the builds since.
Haven't posted day one since i wanted to separate what was user error and what was actual bugs before reporting anything :)
So far the builds from Danne have worked the best when recording RAW from my experience.

I'll be posting as much as possible  ;)

Quote from: jonkjon on July 28, 2019, 04:55:28 PM
RE: crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_EOSM2_dfort_2019Jul28.EOSM2103_raw_slurp

Running in either mode (anamorphic or MCM rewire) the screen randomly goes black when stopping the recording. By randomly, I mean that it doesn't always do it. I would guess about 70% of the time. When it does happen, it requires a restart of the camera. No need to remove the battery. It appears that the recording is saved to the card despite the black screen.

I only tested in 16:9 and 2.35:1 with each preset

Occasionally, the bottom third of the screen will "blink" when starting a recording. Stopping the recording and a menu press or two gets it going again.

Almost all of the recordings contain flashing pink frames.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3xpixbb3y8drso1/pink_frames.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9jpt9jgnd8e1u7/M28-0944.MLV?dl=0

Hope this is helpful....

--Jon
I too experienced black screens, also got some preview freeze, the latter went away after reverting some settings back to default but not the former.
Only one of my three recordings got pink frames and corruption but it also went away after some tweaking.
Only used mv_1080 and was able to reach 1736x1156 14bit lossless 24fps without crop (When with previous builds i was limited to 1736x586 or something close to that). Didn't experience the black space that I got with the previous build.

Thanks for your efforts !

jonkjon

Quote from: Danne on July 28, 2019, 05:10:26 PM
What happens when you film with the other build 1736x976 setting? Also getting that black space as ZEEK?

Not seeing any black bars/space on the right edge or left edge shooting 1736x976 in either preset with the previous build. Maybe I don't know what I am looking for here....

--Jon

Danne

GiacoAV

Noticed some weird things with more tinkering around, these are not super important bugs and can wait, but fixing them is needed for the final experience :
1. Dual ISO in the crop_rec settings is not working. It's flickering but produces pink frames and isn't detected by MLVApp. Tried the one directly in the video menu (HDR Video), no flickering at all and pink frames too (Noticed that these pink, corrupted frames were hapenning every 2-4 images)
2. Sometimes when editing a setting the bottom bar is flickering (ISO or shutter speed for example)
3. The "Color scheme" (In Display>Advanced settings) option is working but flickers randomly, like it goes back to the unmodified color scheme and brightness
4. Shutter fine tuning is not working at all
5. I was curious about CPU usage and using the percentage indicator I noticed that when i was using ML overlays the CPU usage went right to 100% (And I only have Magic Zoom and Histogram enabled o_0)
6. When using Magic Zoom i can see focus dots

I also did a lot more test recordings and tests and got a lot more corrupted footage (Pink frames cut through like bellow), black screens and some random LV freezes

GiacoAV

And finally I have a question : Will it be possible once porting of the core (By core I mean the feature set that is available now) is stable and "over" to have the same recording modes as the original M (Like those shown bellow) ?

Aperture Science

Quote from: GiacoAV on July 29, 2019, 12:04:26 AM
And finally I have a question : Will it be possible once porting of the core (By core I mean the feature set that is available now) is stable and "over" to have the same recording modes as the original M (Like those shown bellow) ?

I tried to move the crop.mo from eosm's firmware to eosm2's. However it doesn't work. Since these two camera are very similar, I believe it will come very soon.

Aperture Science

New test video on the dynamic range of the EOS M2 with 14 bit-losses.

Because I put it on my bike...so it is shaky, sorry for that

However it shows a excellent DR. BTW this video is shooting under AF.

Also thanks "masc" for links to video and "d_fort"'s fpm files

Shutter speed == 1/54
FPS == 24fps
Aperture == f8
Lens == 17-40 f4

https://youtu.be/Z3iMnC3orPY

Aperture Science

don't care about this floor, I wasted it

ZEEK

Tested Raw_Slurp Build for M2:

mv_1080 rewired:
- Max Resolution 1800x1012 (black border to the right side)
- (1736x976 cannot be achieved when lessening the resolution)

4K Anamorphic 2.39:1
- Works, but pink frames are consistent with 10 bit
EOS M

Danne

Thanks. Let's skip raw_slurp for now.
The other version should be working normally not getting into 1800x when selecting mcm rewired. If you can, please test that as well only for mcm rewired 1736x976
This version:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_EOSM2_dfort_2019Jul27.EOSM2103.zip

ZEEK

Yep. Cool will test tomorrow! Thanks :)
EOS M

GiacoAV

Quote from: Danne on July 29, 2019, 03:15:36 PM
Thanks. Let's skip raw_slurp for now.
The other version should be working normally not getting into 1800x when selecting mcm rewired. If you can, please test that as well only for mcm rewired 1736x976
This version:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_EOSM2_dfort_2019Jul27.EOSM2103.zip

What works compared to last build:
- I didn't get the 100% CPU usage in LV (Still, around 95%)
- HDR ISO in crop_mode settings is working as it should without corruption
- Haven't got a black screen so far
- No corrupted footage or pink frames so far

What doesn't :
- Max resolution with mv1080 was reduced to 1736x1028 compared to raw_slurp 1152
- Color scheme is still flashing on and off
- Negative Digital ML ISO is not working, so is Shutter fine-tuning and Black Level, seems like the whole Image Fine-Tuning submenu is working :,(
- Bottom bar when editing a setting in seethrough mode is less flickery but a part of it is still flashing
- Dual ISO returns "ISOless PH err(8)" when enabled

GiacoAV

Here's a test I did with two of my footage with the raw_slurp build :

(Excuse the bad focus pulling and shakyness)

Danne

Thanks for feedback. I am getting this cam  eventually...
Nice movie! 1736x1156? Seems more like 2.39:1?

GiacoAV

Quote from: Danne on July 29, 2019, 06:33:59 PM
Thanks for feedback. I am getting this cam  eventually...
Nice movie! 1736x1156? Seems more like 2.39:1?
Thanks ! Was a quick test to mess around with skin color and detail in Resolve.
Yes it is, shot in 1736x1152 but cropped in post to customize my framing :)

Danne

I see. So it works kind of it seems with raw slurp build.

GiacoAV

Quote from: Danne on July 29, 2019, 06:53:51 PM
I see. So it works kind of it seems with raw slurp build.
Kinda yeah, better resolution (By a small bit) but far less stable:)

Danne

Noticed now your question about other presets. All presets should be possible. However raw_slurp is needed and there´s some flaw here which is very hard to find. a1ex tried some where we noticed default buffer(canon) was working ok but raw_slurp was not. Still not found out why and who knows if it will ever happen...

jonkjon

While I know they may not be expected to work, I feel a bit foolish as I cannot even see options for 1736x1156 or 1800....I know I can change the ratios but I never see 1800 but do come close with 3:2 for 1736x1156. Am I missing something?

--Jon

GiacoAV

Quote from: jonkjon on July 30, 2019, 12:41:12 AM
While I know they may not be expected to work, I feel a bit foolish as I cannot even see options for 1736x1156 or 1800....I know I can change the ratios but I never see 1800 but do come close with 3:2 for 1736x1156. Am I missing something?

--Jon
1800 without crop is impossible (As you saw in builds were it was it only added black pixels) as a 3x3 scan of the 18mp sensor (5208 x 3476) results in a max resolution or 1736x1158.
Using the raw_slurp build I was able to reach 1156 when using 3:2 aspect ratio, on the previous build it's limited to 5:3 (1736x1028)
Hope it answers your question  ;)

Danne

1800x is only working with x3crop mode unmodified into mv1080p x1 mode. WHy it popped up before is an effect due to the roundtrip I am doing to get eosm cams working with regular mv1080p. It goes into movie crop mode but then sets cmos regs so we go back into mv1080p x1 mode.
The issue discussed is happening when restarting camera and the patch did not use movie crop mode. Then if added manually by pushing movie crop mode it would mix things up. Long story short. Should be fixed now ;).

GiacoAV

Noticed two things :
- The first one i would like to see fixed asap : Even when "x3crop" is disabled in crop_rec digital zoom is enabled in the Canon menus, thus preventing the use of face tracking and flexizone AF :/
- The second one is about something i already reported : The "Color scheme" option is only flickering in ML menus, in LV and Canon menus it's working like it should.

jonkjon

Thanks folks for the explanation. Sorry for taking up valuable time with lame questions but curiosity gets the best of me. I understand now and greatly appreciate you taking the time to explain. Maybe it'll make me a better tester!

--Jon

GiacoAV

@Danne Any news about dev on the M2 ? I see new builds on the M every 5 days or so but nothing on the M2 for more
than a week :)

Not that the builds that we have right now are unusable don't get me wrong, but that the better strategy is to work as much as possible on the M2 so it catches it's feature/rec mode gap than add features to both the M and M2, at least that's what I'm thinking, you're the dev and it's your schedule :D

Still, looking at evolution on the M and the newly added "Switch" menu i'm thinking about getting an M too (Get it hehe, "M too"/M2... I have to go)