ML on EOS-M2

Started by Palpatine, September 22, 2015, 02:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Could you try crop_rec.mo from my build on top of dfort build?

ZEEK

Quote from: Danne on July 14, 2019, 12:36:07 PM
Could you try crop_rec.mo from my build on top of dfort build?

You mean copy the "crop_rec.mo" from your July 06 Build and paste it over onto the July 07 Build modules folder?

* Tried it, just makes Danne's July 07 Crop Mode 3X3 720p and freezes.
EOS M

Danne

Other way around. My 07 july crop_rec onto dfort 06 july build. We want to see if it still need restarting or not after recording also in dfort build.

ZEEK

Excellent news....it worked perfectly!  :D

No freeze, no restart required after recording, pressing menu, cycling through info, or after playback...Global Draw even works, such as Magic Zoom, without any flickering which occurred previously.
Everything is pretty much on point except for shutter speed of 1/54 which isn't the biggest deal. Great work!
EOS M

Danne

Shutter can be fixed. Forked dfort repo and I saw three different branches. Hm which one to choose here ;):
1   crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_EOSM2
2   crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_EOSM2_dfort
3   crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_EOSM2_hack2
This is where I realize I need the camera in my hand again  :P

dfort

This one:

2   crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_EOSM2_dfort

#1 is your branch and #2 has your hack2 patch applied. I've been busy on another project that is taking up much of my time so I got behind syncing my branch with your latest changes.

You know you don't need to fork it -- I gave you write access to my repository so we don't need pull requests to merge changes. You can also pull in my branch into your repository, branch it (so we don't get multiple heads on future pulls) and take it over from there.

I'm hoping that once basic Magic Lantern is somewhat stable I (or anyone who wants to jump in) will make a pull request on the main repository so  EOSM2 can join the rest of the supported cameras.

masc

Could someone who owns a M2 please record a .cr2 picture and upload? I would like to read out camera matrix values from the file and check if my assumption was correct.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

jonkjon

Glad to help...what's the best way to upload?

--Jon

jonkjon

Testing things out. Still pics and focus peaking are working great! Having issues with Crop Mode off and recording  1728x696 (1.62x) at either 10 or 14bpp. Lots of frame skipping unless i allow it and then video becomes unusable. Using SanDisk 64gb Ultra 80MB/s card.
HUGE thank you to everyone working on this. I don't know much about video but would be glad to test whatever...

My bad on the video as I didn't have the correct MLV module loaded. That sorted out the frame skipping. Much learning ahead to improve quality for me.... Thanks again to everyone!

Nightly.2019.Jul06.EOSM2103

--Jon

masc

Quote from: jonkjon on July 15, 2019, 04:22:42 PM
Glad to help...what's the best way to upload?
Use any filehoster... dropbox and friends...
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

I extracted the color matrix values from the cr2 file and included them into MLVApp. Now "Use camera matrix" should bring correct color.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

jonkjon

Quote from: masc on July 16, 2019, 02:15:23 PM
I extracted the color matrix values from the cr2 file and included them into MLVApp. Now "Use camera matrix" should bring correct color.

Would we just re-download the mlv_app?

--Jon

masc

To use this change, download sources and compile. The next official release ( v1.8 ) will include it too.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

jonkjon

Quote from: masc on July 16, 2019, 06:41:57 PM
To use this change, download sources and compile. The next official release ( v1.8 ) will include it too.

Been trying to compile this but getting errors about undefined references to min/max in amaze_demosaic.c and others too. Following the instructions at GitHub for compiling on windows. I'll keep trying. Thank you.

--Jon

masc

Quote from: jonkjon on July 16, 2019, 07:08:00 PM
Been trying to compile this but getting errors about undefined references to min/max in amaze_demosaic.c and others too. Following the instructions at GitHub for compiling on windows. I'll keep trying. Thank you.
Normally this should work out of the box as described. Could you please post the compiler error message, then I'll have a look. What Qt and MinGW version do you use? But maybe better post into MLVApp thread, because it is a bit off-topic here.
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=20025
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

jonkjon

Playing around a bit more and discovered that FPS override freezes and garbles live view during back button focus. Reset shutter button from custom function to default half press focus and same result. Only way I could get focus to work was turning off FPS_Override.

--Jon

jonkjon

After lots of fiddling with different settings and testing low light etc, things are working really well. I have downloaded the latest download from dfort's repository of 7-16. Shooting at 1764x444 and 24fps gives me pretty good raw results. I have tested Crop mode but don't really have much need for it. Probably because I don't fully understand the implementation of the presets and mv1080p mcm etc,.
The only niggle I have is I can't get the shutter speed to where I want it. i.e. at 24 fps I want 1/48 but can't get closer than 1/52. I know this was mentioned elsewhere.

Thank you to all who are working on this. I look forward to the intervalometer and some AP in the coming days.....

--Jon

Nibby99

Quote from: masc on July 11, 2019, 03:07:37 PM
After installing manually dfort's latest focus pixel maps to MLVApp, I can remove the focus dots from ZEEK's clips (with the same "success" like with other cams -> on some details it looks worse than without fix, depending on chosen method). Important is, that the maps are installed. Otherwise I get vertical stripes and don't know why. ;)
Edit: stripes fixed.

Sorry for the newb'ness but being a fledgling in the world of RAW video on my EOS-M I was hoping to get some help with all this. Short of reading through about 1200 posts from the beginning I'm hoping to fast track it a bit and skip a lot of the unnecessary developer chat. I have seen focus pixels first hand and know that in MLVapp (1.7) I can just turn on 3x3 chroma smoothing and get rid of them (I suspect at the cost of overall image quality reduction. After a bit of reading I see there is a more concise way of getting rid of them with pixel maps. I've seen the zip download for the pixel maps. Exactly how do I utilize them in MLVapp?  Another thing I notice is my footage versus others and theirs specifically low light which is apparently shot between 100-800 and there is noise free (apparently without noise reduction in post). I shot a living room scene at ISO 800 and at ISO100.. it starts off bright near a window and pans to a darker area in the kitchen.  On both shots there is chroma noise in the shadows. Maybe its a shot that would be hard to get in one continous shot where its full sunlight over into a darkened area, I always thought ISO 100 should be fairly noise free in shadows but not so much. (I was shooting ETTR of about .1-.8 on each of these)

masc

Quote from: Nibby99 on July 18, 2019, 03:08:28 PM
...I've seen the zip download for the pixel maps. Exactly how do I utilize them in MLVapp?  ...
Unpack, select maps for your camera, drop them on MLVApp, reload your clip and activate focus pixel fix. https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App/wiki#fix-focus-dots
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

jonkjon

RE: focus pixel maps. Does the resolution of the map have to match the resolution of the footage? I cannot shoot at anywhere close to the image sizes listed for the fpms...

--Jon

masc

Quote from: jonkjon on July 18, 2019, 04:07:32 PM
RE: focus pixel maps. Does the resolution of the map have to match the resolution of the footage? I cannot shoot at anywhere close to the image sizes listed for the fpms...
No, the resolution of the map has to match the resolution from RAWI block. You can read this size with mlv_dump:

mlv_dump -v your.mlv > some_file.txt

then find block RAWI (example):
Block: RAWI
height yyyy
width xxxx

Or just install all files for your camera.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

jonkjon

Nibby99

Quote from: masc on July 18, 2019, 03:33:48 PM
Unpack, select maps for your camera, drop them on MLVApp, reload your clip and activate focus pixel fix. https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App/wiki#fix-focus-dots

Many thanks guy I will give this a shot when I get home. Hopefully there is some matching resolutions. I usually use mv1080 rewire and 16:9 or 2.35:1 and lower than usual resolution since I have a frigging Sandisk Extreme but not Extreme Pro (I think I max out around 38-40MBs).