ML on EOS-M2

Started by Palpatine, September 22, 2015, 02:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uizin

Great! Good to know another piece of the puzzle is sorted out!
Guys do not stop you great work! :)

pureaxis

tried the new update, can't get much to work but I'm glad there is progress!

dfort

Just a quick announcement--

Since I've been stuck trying to figure out what is causing the instability issues on the EOSM2 ML port for a long time and no other developer seems to have access to this camera, I shipped my EOSM2 to @critix. He has been doing a great job on the 1300D though that camera is also in development hell. (Ok--that link is the movie industry definition of "development hell" but it is close enough.)

Skozyashiy

Hi guys. What is the current status of the port? Does it contain any more or less stable functions? I mostly interested in timelapse..

Jenus

Just dropping in to say that it would be an amazing feat to get ML and focus peaking on my M2. If you need anyone for testing, just hit me up.

uizin

@critix did you receive dfort's M2? I'm in for testing too!
Thank you for your efforts guys! :)

critix

Canon 1300D, 500D, EOS M, EOS M2

JohanJ

And there is definitively progress! Great work @critix and @dfort!

Critix, your test build does not include a FIR file. I picket the one from dforts latest M2 version on his download page and that worked fine to activate bootflag in the cam. Since I am mostly into still photography I quickly made some test only in this area. Here are some very simple results. My set-up is M2 w/ EF-M 22mm, SanDisk ExtremePro 95 MB/s

NB: (+) positive (-) negative remark

1. (+) ML is able to boot in any shooting mode A+, C1, C2, movie. I used C2 for my quick tests.
2. (-) The ML default config makes live view freeze when panning. I mannaged to revive Liveview by pressing some buttons (no pattern), but it hung again after a while.
3. (+) Entering ML menu by holding trash can button works fine, also from frozen LV
4. (+) After inactivating all ML functions no more hanging in LiveView. I chose that method to activate ML functions one by one to narrow down the problem
5. (-) Leaving ML menu with "shoot" or "Menue" button brings you back to LV but there are no standard Canon overlays any more, not even AF indicators, just a clean LV. Pressing INFO button multiple times to switch between Canon LV modes does not change anything.
(6.) (+) BUT taking still pictures works fine
(7.) (+) Entering Canon Menu with Menu button and returning to LV brings back all stock overlays :)
(8.) (+) Activating "Global Draw in all modes" together with "Focus Peaking" works fine. Same behaviour when leaving ML menu described in (7.)
(9.) (+) Adding "Zebras" works fine too but brings up the known error messag "Raw error, falling back to YUV Overlays"
(10.) (---) Adding "Histogram" in RAW RGB, Log and BANG! LV freezes when panning!

(11.) (---) Same freezing LV when only "Histogram" is activated in "Global Draw in all modes". So histogram seems to be the bad guy.
So far my simple tests. I hope I can contribute more later on.
60D.111 / 100D.101 / M2.103

Danne

Is raw recording working as well?

critix

No, raw recording is not work...
Canon 1300D, 500D, EOS M, EOS M2

JohanJ

Quote from: Danne on December 08, 2018, 04:51:22 PM
Is raw recording working as well?
Well, mlv_lite creates an .MLV file but you get the the following assert

ML ASSERT:
at mlv_lite.c:2697 (compress_task), task compress_task
lv:1 mode:0

compress_task stack: 216b88 [216c18-215c18]
0x0044C9B0 @ af2fc8:216bb8
0x0044C478 @ 44ca0c:216b88

Magic Lantern version : Nightly.2018Dec07.EOSM2103
Mercurial changeset   : 061afdbde1ad+ (crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets) tip
Built on 2018-12-07 09:42:05 UTC by root@cristi.
Free Memory  : 383K + 1846K

I did not look into the file as such.

JohanJ

Quote from: chrissul13 on April 26, 2018, 07:01:25 AM
I would be so happy to just get focus peaking.  I have a lot of old M42 mount lenses and they are hard to focus quickly on the screen.  can't wait for a bit more progress here!  Thanks again!
You should test the latest build Critix published today. Focus peaking seems stable to me.

pureaxis

wow good to see renewed progress, will test this build soon  :D

dfort

Looks like this is where the assert message is coming from -- mlv_lite.c line 2697

/* only report compression errors while recording
             * some of them appear during video mode switches
             * unlikely to cause actual trouble - silence them for now */
            if (compressed_size < 0 && !RAW_IS_IDLE)
            {
                printf("Compression error %d at frame %d\n", compressed_size, frame_count-1);
                ASSERT(0);
            }

Have you tried other compression settings? Maybe uncompressed 14-bit? See if you get a different assert log.

JohanJ

Quote from: dfort on December 09, 2018, 07:16:39 AM
Have you tried other compression settings? Maybe uncompressed 14-bit? See if you get a different assert log.
You are right dfort. I did not check the default settings, just kicked on mlv_lite to see what would happen.

Default was 14 bit loosless which explains the error message. Changing to 10 /12 / 14 bit uncompressed does not create any assert. 12 and 14 bit uncompressed  freezes LV instantly, but creates a file. 10 bits uncompressed seems to work w/ liveview.
Unfortunately I do not have the time to dig into it more deeply right now (posting all settings and so on).  So this is the right moment where all MLV_LITE experts should join the party. There is defenitivley a good base for intensive testing.

Walter Schulz

ML settings are stored in ML/Settings directory. Zip, upload somewhere and link it.

uizin

Thanks @critix and @dfort for the great job!

I am trying this build on my M2: focus peaking and zebras work fine.
@JohanJ, I am not experiencing LV freezes with Histogram enabled.

Also, I noticed that in C2 I can not enter the settings menu, because when I hold the trash button, the Canon ISO selection comes up.

I'll keep testing!  :)

JohanJ

Quote from: uizin on December 09, 2018, 10:36:11 PM
Also, I noticed that in C2 I can not enter the settings menu, because when I hold the trash button, the Canon ISO selection comes up.
Go to Canon Menu C.FnIV Operation/Others (6) "Trash Can button" and change your setting from 2:ISO speed to 0:Normal
This should do the trick to enter ML menu.

uizin

Yes @JohanJ! I had that setting and confirm that it works also in C2 now. I think I will keep the custom setting to quickly select the ISO, otherwise I'll need to browse in the menus...

dfort

I've been stuck on this port for a while but now @critix and @Danne are working on it and we've got at least three users willing to test. Keep checking on this topic for progress reports.

JohanJ

Quote from: uizin on December 10, 2018, 02:15:44 PM
Yes @JohanJ! I had that setting and confirm that it works also in C2 now. I think I will keep the custom setting to quickly select the ISO, otherwise I'll need to browse in the menus...
Right. That comment was helpful! My first thought was that you are probaly not shooting stills in RAW format. Maybe you do. But the freezing has to do with RAW parameters for certain  ML overlays!

Both "histogram" and "spotmeter" have parameters for RAW data analysis. As soon as you set RAW depending parameters the LV tends to freeze w/ moving objects or half-shutter pressed moving or simple panning. Tipping half-shutter again refreshes LV.
High ISO values seem to speed the freezing. But here I am not sure I have to test more carefully.

Anyway when using overlays with RGB or non RAW based parameters there is no freezing  at all. I can even add more overlays same time - no problem when shooting stills.

Hope this can help.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Danne

Having way to little time on my hands but read through this thread, grasping maybe one third of it, realizing what hard work was put into these initial stages from dfort and A1ex. Wanting to pin down the freezing issue I tried looking around in raw.c, and mlv_lite.c to see if anything related to the issue was to be find in there. Maybe something can come out of what I tested so far.
Enabling mlv_lite seems ok, and once it sets resolution there are a few moments before something is updated and then the freeze kicks in. In mlv_lite.c there´s a module:
MODULE_CBR(CBR_SHOOT_TASK, raw_rec_polling_cbr, 0)
Not sure where that leads into(shoot.c) and maybe more places but if I comment out the module mlv_lite won´t freeze when starting RAW video. Then again that is probably because resolution stays at 0x0 so what´s there to freeze. However by sharing this information maybe we can continue trace where raw video is failing? A1ex might have a suggestion or two about what is going on here hopefully. Write channel issues?
Working from this branch:
https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern/pull-requests/24/eosm2103-crop-rec-4k-wip/diff

EDIT:
Managed to record a MLV with footage on:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/M12-1727.MLV

Not sure how but I started disabling stuff in RAW video menu. Set to real-time etc. Restarting camera let me record corrupted MLV files and liveview freezes but it´s start...

Danne

Working 10bit video!
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/M12-1737.MLV

I erased this in mlv_lite.c:
    MODULE_CONFIG(resolution_index_x)
and manage to record in 10bit. Probably works with 12 and 14bit too. Lossless giving corrupted files and freezed screen. Screen freezes more less always when recording raw.
Question. Are recording in mv1080p already, reason for freezes? Sure looks like it.

mv1080p(somebody needs to check the mlv file, I have to run)?

dfort

Yay!

mlv_dump -v M12-1737.MLV
Block: RAWI
    Res:  1736x584
    raw_info:
      api_version      0x00000001
      height           727
      width            1808
Block: RAWC
    raw_capture_info:
      sensor res      5184x3456
      sensor crop     1.62 (APS-C)
      sampling        5x3 (read 1 line, skip 4, bin 3 columns)
Block: IDNT
     Camera Name:   'Canon EOS M2'
     Camera Model:  0x80000355

Image looks good -- especially considering the 5x3 sampling.

Look at those focus pixels!

Quote from: Danne on December 12, 2018, 04:36:32 PM
Question. Are recording in mv1080p already, reason for freezes? Sure looks like it.

No, this is definitely mv720.