Most effecient RAW post process for interiors with white balance issues

Started by jbggump, November 07, 2015, 09:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbggump

Hey there,
I have been doing interiors videos for about two years now, but only just recently decided to start shooting RAW instead of dual ISO.  For me, it is all about workflow, as I am always on a same day turn around time crunch.  So, what I do now is this:

Convert to DNG with Rawmagic (could use other program...not married to that)
Open all in Davinci 12 Lite - set all to BND. 
On second monitor (this changed my workflow speed drastically), open a DNG from each folder and get white balance using white balance tool from ACR
Input those numbers into WB in Davinci
Export WB corrected .MOV and open in Premiere. 
I have found a setting via Magic Bullet that I can make files look realistic, so copy a sharpen, noise, and magic bullet setting to all clips.
Export final video. 

In the above workflow, the only thing that I am having to adjust each clip individually is the WB via ACR and Davinci...everything else is basically a batch.  Keep in mind that these videos are not super high end real estate videos and people aren't paying for that.  This is the only one I have done this way so far (http://tinyurl.com/3115Cornwall) and the interiors start around 45 second mark (I know it is a little jumpy on the pan of the exterior).  I realize that I probably need to brighten the whole video some...I am using a new iMac and the screen is amazingly bright compared to other screens (even my 2013 macbook pro).  If you are interested, here is one where I used dual iso video and not RAW...not on every scene, but many of the kitchen scenes, and it just looks a little muddy and I can never get the colors right.  http://tinyurl.com/12412AngelFalls

Any suggestions on something better (quicker)?  I liked the dual iso because it was a batch process to convert all of the files, but I was still having to adjust the colors in many of the scenes anyway. 

Thanks.

Jed

Walter Schulz

Quote from: jbggump on November 07, 2015, 09:46:52 PMI have been doing interiors videos for about two years now, but only just recently decided to start shooting RAW instead of dual ISO.

? Dual-ISO is in fact RAW mode with interlaced lines with 2 different ISO numbers in each single frame. Do you have confused "HDR in MOV (=alternating exposures for consecutive frames)" with "Dual-ISO"?

Levas

The video overall looks nice, nice movement and all.
But why do you use dual iso or raw if you're not saving the highlights ?
Many blown out highlights in this video, which by the way don't bother at all  ;) since it's all about the interior and not about what's happening outside of the windows.
So to speed up, don't use dual iso, just shoot plain raw.
Maybe try to do some more exposure settings in the raw tab of Davinci Lite, save a little of the highlight, boost a little shadow, add some contrast...

jbggump

To answer both replies, I use dual ISO (not hdr), but not shooting raw that I knew of.  The files always output from the .MLV file in the cr2HDR script as a .mov file, but there wasn't an opportunity anywhere to go in and adjust the DNG...perhaps I missed something?

As far as the highlights, yes, it doesn't really matter in video (although I would like to have nothing clipping), and for what people hire me for, they aren't going to want to pay for additional interior lighting so I can get better views outside. 

Thanks for the replies.

Jed

jbggump

Danne

How did you use the script? Converting to ProRes or simply straight to DNG and started working with the DNG files? The way cr2hdr-r works it can take 3d luts to alter the look to the ProRes file. For full control I would recommend simply work with DNG files in Davinci resolve or in premiere pro after conversion.
Also, to get lesser color artifacts it,s beneficial to film in 3x zoom mode.
I would also recommend shooting HDR to get even higher quality film files.

3x zoom
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12796.0

Modified lens
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12796.msg127357#msg127357