Son of Batch [REPOST]

Started by fxPPC, September 20, 2015, 08:52:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fxPPC

So the links for the very useful tool "Son of Batch MLV" have gone dead. I am not the original author, but I still use this tool for creating Prores 422 HQ files all the time. Figured I would share the last posted version with the forum. Hosted from my personal site, zip'ed Mac version, tested 10.8 to 10.10.5.

If there is a more up to date version (and I've looked) please tell me and I'll host it. If you're the author of SoB and are outraged at me hosting it, I'll pull it down. But it's a still very useful tool that can get you to Pro Res files and through post ASAP. Also strikes DNGs in the process. Just wish it had a 23.97 fps option (rather than straight 24).

http://www.alicemcgown.com/sob.zip
---------------------------------
5D3, 7D, 550D. Rokinon Cine DS set, Canon L set, wide range of Russian and Contax-converted (Leitax modified) glass.

DeafEyeJedi

Do you have reason(s) why you prefer to use this comparing to other decent converters that are currently out there?

Such as MLVFS or cr2hdr-r?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

fxPPC

MLVFS/Resolve is my workflow for high value content.

I use SoB on set to create fast half-res Prores proxies and strike CinemaDNGs for post. The interface is simple enough for a green camera PA, unlike the multistep workflows MLVFS and CR2-whatcha-call it need. Also, sometimes I just need to put Prores HQ files in a clients hands with the fewest steps. The app is self-contained (no installing services and setting up directories) so it can be run on other peoples' setups (important when hiring local media managers on away shoots).

I wish there was a RawMagic like app that converted straight from MLV to Prores (selectable Proxy, 422, HQ, and 4444). There are so many shoots that I do that need better than muddy H.264, but don't have the post budget for full on CinemaDNG colour grading. This gets me closer to the mythical 5DmIII than shoots Prores  8)
5D3, 7D, 550D. Rokinon Cine DS set, Canon L set, wide range of Russian and Contax-converted (Leitax modified) glass.

Danne

Prores exporter could be done in one step manner as an automator workflow. You would still need to install the automated service though.

DeafEyeJedi

IMO, Proxy, 422, HQ, or even 4444 are all not even close to what the good old AE CC gives in ProRes4444XQ respectively which is useful to get the most out of color grading as well as details.

Still scratching my head over why Adobe stopped supporting this in their newer versions of CC's 2014 and up.

So I would either use @Danne's cr2hdr-r or @dmilligan's MLVFS for the workflow with AE (can easily be color graded quickly prior to exporting as dailies in PR422 or even h264) otherwise you can just export as flat log in PR4444XQ's to use as starting points and then can be color graded in NLE later unless your machines can handle DaVinci 12 if not less.

Jm2c.

p.s. @Danne's app can also even spit out nice looking ProRes files with a click of a button through his customized workflow service (though you will have to have each one of your PA's to download/install this only once) and your boat will be ever floating like never before!

Also have tried the latest MLRawViewer from @baldand?

Either one of these three will give you options such as 23.97fps or whatever you choose and not be stuck with 24fps that you get w SoB?

fxPPC

Where to begin...

Thanks so much for replying DeafEyeJedi with the different solutions. I'm really trying to put MLRAW into a professional workflow, where time is money, clients are looking over your shoulder, and the whole solution better work every time with the fewest possible moving parts. I've tried a few of the solutions you've listed (all within the last few weeks).

MLVFS gives me DNG frames full of "sparks" (white or brightly coloured dots on areas of low light with lots of detail- dark hair for example). These sparks only happen with MLVFS, and changing values on the webpage it serves up has no effect. And then a separate app for CDNG to Prores would be needed.

How do I put this... I don't understand cr2hdr-r. I struggled with it for a while and got it to move MLVfiles around, create folders full of .cube files, and make DNGs. Also there is no progress bar, just a spinning Automator gear, which kills it for me as I have no way of telling a producer or client how long its going to be (approximately).

MLRAWviewer freezes when i hit "C" to convert an entire directory, but works like a champ when I convert individual clips. It's the closest to perfect, but batch is broken (tested with 1.3.3 and 1.4.3). I love the ability to quickly apply a "one-light" and export. I've tested with different footage, Mac setups, and hard drives.

I would LOOOOOOOOVE a utility that: batch converts to Prores (selectable, like Son of Batch), detects the white balance from metadata, lets you bake in C-Log or 709 (like MLRAWviewer), and has a progress bar.

I've been searching for a solution. I'd pay for a solution. I've tried coding and scripting my own solutions with mlvdump and ffmpeg. And yet I still end up firing up that son of a batch  :D

Danne

The closest would be to incorporate ffmpeg with mlvfs since this will give you correct white balance. I started a workflow around this and it worked but left it to continue on something else.
Cr2hdr-r is working multithreaded and in its simplest form it is merely about putting the files in the prores folder and run the app. Still it has some caveats if course since its not really an app but shell scripting.

Suggestion is to have lets say two dropable workflow actions and simply drop mlvfs generated folders to these droplet actions. Msybe choose between halfres proxy and a highres prores444 alternative.

DeafEyeJedi

Re: MLRawViewer crashing after pressing 'C' usually occurs in earlier versions and supposedly that was fixed in the latest 1.4.3 (unless you have a slow Mac?) but if not then try deleting all current .MRX files & retry 'C' or if hell freezes over then try unpausing by pressing 'Y' first before exporting (it's a known bug) but still works for the most part.

otherwise perhaps try running MLVProducer with Wine on Mac if you don't have Windows?

It's similar to MLRawViewer but maybe you find it more useful?

MLVProducer

Re: cr2hdr-r spits out DNG's quick enough that you can just simply use smart import 2 script via AE and be able to have realtime playback in timeline prior to exporting dailies (same goes for if you want to save space and go with MLVFS) so I'm not sure why you are experiencing full of "sparks" regarding your DNG footage -- care to share some samples of these if possible?

matiasnp

Hello!

The link is broken again.
Can someone re-upload please?

many thanks

fxPPC

Sorry matiasnp, my hosting provider never sent me a renewal notice and my hosting lapsed. Everything is back now, and the original link is back up.

I've switched over to MLrawViewer for most Prores transcoding, finding the builtin LUTS and visual exposure/colour balance tools to be better, and the batch functions to be... tolerable. MLVFS is my tool of choice for Resolve RAW work on projects that get extra effort. With the release of Mac OS X El Capitan, MLrawViewer's (v 1.4.3) stability and performance have taken a nose dive (unable to smoothly playback, and prone to freezing up), so I might be back to Son of Batch, which still works fine!