Focus stacking tutorial for T3i?

Started by AKR, September 19, 2015, 09:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKR

I don't know why this doesn't exist in the guide after years of it being out. I haven't been able to find a T3i specific tutorial anywhere on the internet and no generic tutorial works or is clear. Anyone with a T3i care to write up a tutorial?

Walter Schulz

I'm pretty sure there is no T3i specific issue with focus stacking.
If you will be able to tell your problem there might be a chance helping you.

AKR

Ok, I updated to the latest build, so I'm not having the same problem. Here's what I do and where I get stuck.

I focus on the start point in live view.
Go to focus menu and hit "set" for end point.
Use left/right arrows to get to the end point and it shows "13 steps" or whatever.
I use rack focus to bring it back to start point.
Go to focus stack menu and "Run Focus Stack" is grayed out. If I click on it, it just says "focus stacking is not configured." Dead end.

Walter Schulz

AKR

Quote from: Walter Schulz on September 20, 2015, 01:20:22 PM
You tried?

Tried what? This?

QuoteFor starters try this (you have to find your numbers depending on lens/distance/magnification):
- Set near focus point as focus end point 0 (here)
- Focus stacking -> Number of pics behind > 0
- Number of pics in front = 0
- Focus steps / picture = 2

All your directions seem to be saying is to set the end point as not being any different than the start point, and then change the number of focus steps to 2. The "Run Focus Stack" text is still grayed out.

Walter Schulz

Take a screenshot of your "Focus Stacking" submenu.
Debug tab -> Screenshot - 10s
You have 10 seconds time to access submenu after activation. Screenshot will generate file VRAM0.PPM in card's root. Convert to JPEG and upload it somewhere and post a link accessible to public.