5D2 Raw or BMCC

Started by viksko, September 14, 2015, 06:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viksko

Hello guys, i have been making videos for quite a long time, and in the last couple of years i have been moving into professional video making. For the last 3 years i have been using my trusty 60d and a 18 - 135mm kit lense, and ofcourse magic lantern. But now i want an upgrade, and that is where i need your help. I am going to buy a used camera, and so far i've got these two offers at about the same price point at 9000 dkkr. about 1363,80$.

BMCC

• bmcc ef 2.5k
  • sigma 17-70 mm f/2.8-4 ef
  • 120gb ssd
  • external battery
  • tascam DR40
  • shotgun mic
  • various nd filters
  • Small dictaphone from Olympus
  • Camera bag
  • magic arm 7"

5D2 Raw

• 5D2
  • EF 24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 2 x 16gb CF-cards (don't know which ones..)
  • 2 x Batteries

And i need your help to figure out which is the best offer.

I like the 5D2s ability to shoot timelapses at slow shutter speeds, i also like the good lense. But the 5D2 lacks the high quality video recording and dynamic range of the BMCC. But the BMCC can't shoot 60fps, which is annoying, but it has some extra sound equipment.

Please help me, it is driving me nuts.

reddeercity

Buy the 5D Mark2 , better valve  and the image quality is far better.
Being use my 5d2 for over 2 year on ML Raw video , the only cam better the 5d3
The BMCC is super 16mm camera with 2.6 crop of full frame
Where the 5d2 is full frame and with very low noise in the shadows .
I'm editing & grading a film shot on a BMCC right now and the image is very noisy
Even that it was expose property , that small sensor can't capture all the light
And produces noise, I have to go though A.E. with ACR to fix it .
But it all depends on your needs , there is advantage to both.
And there is only maybe 1-2 stop of DR less on the 5d2
5D2 dose 11.5 stops where the BMCC is i think 13 ?
In My opinion the 5D2 would be a good choice for you.

viksko

Thank you for the reply! But are you sure you are talking about the cinema camera, cause the cinema camere should be a super 35 sensor. But you are right, i think i am going with the 5d2 (if he has not sold it yet....)

jtvision

Don't think twice, BMCC is far better option. Video quality is stunning. 5D Mark II was good, but we are not in 2008 anymore. Just compare the footage and you wont need anyone's opinion.

Erik Krause

DeafEyeJedi

I've seen used 5D3's go for $1700 if not more or less...

Been eyeing out for another body myself soon but ideally I should be waiting for the release of 5D4's first to take advantage of their prices dropping like flies and then to end up having a few more extra 5D3 bodies in my kit would be a dream come true for me to say the least.

I'd rather have 2 or 3 bodies of 5D3's than a single body of BMCC. Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of their concept but not with their colors/raw codec plus it's sensor just doesn't cut it comparing with 5D3's sensor.

Definitely a no Brainer to chip in extra $200-400 for a used 5D3 as oppose to the good old 5D2 (former owner and I do sometimes regret selling it but did it for good reason(s)) so be sure to take that Into consideration as well.

That's just my opinion though.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

reddeercity

Quote from: viksko on September 14, 2015, 07:16:39 PM
But you are right, i think i am going with the 5d2 (if he has not sold it yet....)
That's good to hear

Quote from: viksko on September 14, 2015, 07:16:39 PM
But are you sure you are talking about the cinema camera, cause the cinema camera should be a super 35 sensor
No, the sensor size ->15.81mm x 8.88mm

As you can see if not , and that's the problem if it was super 35mm then I would have recommended it  ;)

Link to the BMCC spec -->http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/cinemacameras/techspecs/W-CIN-01

You would have to buy the 4k version to get Super 35mm (22mm x 11.88mm) but its not really Super 35mm just under.

DeafEyeJedi is right thou if you can find the funds I would get a 5D3 its the Best cam for raw and it beats all cameras in that price range.
But if we are talking about only the 5D2 & the BMCC then it the 5D2 all day long .

Quote from: jtvision on September 14, 2015, 09:33:08 PM
Just compare the footage and you wont need anyone's opinion.
I have being doing that for a few day now and the 5D2 is a lot cleaner , I have 1.7TB of BMCC 2.5K raw footage I have to fix the noise.
Don't get me wrong its good footage but for video not for film , other thing that bothers me is the skin tones are not as good as Canon
seems to lack good mid-tones , there again it's Just My Opinion  so take it with a gain of salt  :D 

viksko

Thank you all for your help! I have decided to go looking for a cheap 5d3, and then buy it used from another country. If you see any good deals please let me know. I am also going to by a 17 - 105mm canon L-lense. And i am hoping to find it all for around 1500$.