Clean HDMI once again - new perspective.

Started by kuga0509, August 26, 2015, 05:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kuga0509

I know that Clean HDMI has been a hot topic for all of the canon cameras over the last several years - especially the 6D.  While I have been a programmer for 16 years, I have never gotten into firmware development - so I apologize in advance if what I am about to say has been discussed.  But here it goes...

In the playback section of the 6D, Canon pushes HD video to fullscreen NATIVELY while the video playback overlay remains in 3:2. For pictures, it black bars the sides and scales them into 3:2 WITHIN a 1080i frame.  This is unlike the HDMI out LiveView as it sends a 1080i image with video WITHIN black bars. So my question is, could the secret to Clean HDMI out be hidden in the settings for playback?  I mean, if this has to do with finding the appropriate register settings (apologies if my terminology is incorrect for assembly), then wouldn't the appropriate setting be revealed within that portion of the firmware?

And if so, then enabling/hijacking that setting for LiveView would give external recorders uncompressed 1080p at 16x9... :)

dpjpandone

Yes, you are absolutely correct! Playback is 1080i, but that's because it's playing back a file that has already been uprezzed from 1728 to 1920. Unfortunately for us, the image is only 1728 pixels wide prior to recording (during live preview) so it is not possible to view it at 1920 during preview.

Even if this could be done (which it can't) it would not improve the quality, because you are starting with a video that is 1728, even if you record it at 2k, 4k, or 1 million k's - it's still just an uprezzed 1728.....

Great idea though!

Oh, wait, I just re-read your post, and you have 6D (I thought 60D) - what is the native resolution of raw video (in full frame, not crop mode) on 6D? is it 1920?