1D & 3D LUT preview in Live View

Started by clint, September 11, 2015, 12:18:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clint

Request:
Assign a custom 1D or 3D LUT to the cameras Live View display (without baking-in any actual color transformation into the video file), to allow the photographer/cinematographer to get a live (but rough) idea of what the shot will look like after color correction.

I mentioned this awhile ago and there seemed to be interested, but I haven't had the time to try it.  Is anyone else up for implementing it?

mothaibaphoto

First(though i'm not a developer) there is obviously lack in computational resources for this task in camera.
Second, LCD is so small, so does it worth to "grade" the image on it?
Third, you can buy any external monitor with LUT support.
And, finally, processed RAW after color correction and LUT applied will probably look somewhat different than you will see on external monitor with the same LUT due to different processing path.

iancarleton

Hi All,
Just came across this looking for more information about the subject of LUTs in camera.  It would be really helpful from my standpoint to have the option of choosing a gamma curve as well as loading LUTs in camera.

For example, I'm converting everything to BMDFILM gamma in Resolve, and it would be great to see that image in camera.  One step beyond that would be if we could load a custom 3D LUT on top to monitor our images similar to how they will be graded.

Would such a feature ever be possible?

Thanks in advance for any insight,
Ian