Chroma smoothing causes underexposed areas go weird. [mystic and mlvfs]

Started by Mehmet Kozal, September 02, 2015, 12:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mehmet Kozal

Hi everyone,

I will cut it short as much as I can.

I use 650D. I didn't mind this problem until now because I mostly shoot in daylight. But nowadays I want to switch to raw when I do filming in clubs which means low light situations or big contrast scenes. So I wanted to check with you guys if there is a solution to this problem.

I use 2 tools to make dngs from mlv files. One of them is Mystic. When it does chroma smoothing, I get weird artifacts on specular highlights.

The other one and the main tool I use is MLVFS and I love it. But when it does chroma smoothing, this time I get colored jumping dots on underexposed areas.

So what I do is switching between these 2 tools depending the exposure of the shot but it really drains my energy sometimes on long projects and there are times that none of them does the job. And no body except a few is mentioning this problem so I started to think maybe it is a wrong setting in camera? Does anyone know a solution? Any 650D 700D EOS-M owners?

I also put processed and not processed examples in Dropbox. link> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6ahcs7yexdxo6cx/AAAsxSDkSfFhKJIs6JmHLEuCa?dl=0

Thanks everyone.
Canon 650D user. Also, Bilal Fakhouri is a hero.