Multicam shoot

Started by debonair, August 31, 2015, 11:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

debonair

I have two 7Ds, time-synced with EOS utility. I'll use the timecode to lay down two video tracks when editing.

My question is, what's the best way to avoid duplicate filenames? I understand it's possible to rename the files once they're on the computer. I'm not 100% confident I'll be able to keep cards from the two cams separate when dumping them, and therefore I wouldn't know which to rename as cam 1 vs 2.

I see the option in the canon menu for image naming. Is there a way to change mlv naming in camera?

Sorry if this has already been addressed.. couldn't find an answer.

Frank7D

Not sure about the answer to your actual question, but here's a suggestion:
Tag the cards somehow to differentiate them (maybe small colored elastic bands that you could slip on as soon as you remove the card from the camera? Or maybe colored/labeled bags that you could put them in)

dmilligan

If you are shooting MLV, the camera serial number is captured in metadata. If you are using MLVFS, the SN is displayed for each clip in the webgui, and pretty much all converters will embedded this in the output DNG metadata (which should be readable by whatever post processing app/workflow you are using)

debonair

Quote from: Frank7D on September 01, 2015, 12:30:26 AM
Not sure about the answer to your actual question, but here's a suggestion:
Tag the cards somehow to differentiate them (maybe small colored elastic bands that you could slip on as soon as you remove the card from the camera? Or maybe colored/labeled bags that you could put them in)
That's actually a good idea. Pretty simple.
Quote from: dmilligan on September 01, 2015, 03:15:03 AM
If you are shooting MLV, the camera serial number is captured in metadata. If you are using MLVFS, the SN is displayed for each clip in the webgui, and pretty much all converters will embedded this in the output DNG metadata (which should be readable by whatever post processing app/workflow you are using)
Cool! I'll try it.

ansius

I've done up to 6 DSLR multicam for a music event. So far the most convenient way has been marking the cards and dumping them in separate folders, and each dump is in folder with time marking o the dump (12-40, 13-55, so on) it is done. After that you can rename and resort files.

when ever I start the shoot (day, event) I reset the file name number. Even tough it generates the same file names, it is easier to sort them later. I started to do that with time lapses, because at events I tend to do 2-3 at least so having them all in one folder is not wise and takes for ever to load in bridge/lightroom. Every maual reset creates the next folder like 100EOS7D, 101EOS7D and so on.

This also helps if you keep rolling till camera stops, and then use movie restart, if the shoot is not to long, the files would be the same numbers and that saves time when syncing up.

I have my cards marked with label printed, but you can just mark them with different color electrical tape. you should have like 3 cards for each camera, or at least 2 per camera.
Canon EOS 7D & 40D, EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, EF 28-300mm IS USM, Mir-20, Mir-1, Helios 44-5, Zenitar ME1, Industar 50-2, Industar 61L/Z-MC, Jupiter 37A, TAIR-3
http://www.ansius.lv http://ansius.500px.com