Opteka 6.5mm 3.5 vs Peleng 8mm 3.5 vs Rokinon FE8M-C 8mm F3.5

Started by DeafEyeJedi, August 24, 2015, 04:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeafEyeJedi

Out of these three so called Fish-Eye lenses...

Which would you choose to go with our Canons and why?

Either for FF or APS-C.

Thank you!

*edit*

Obviously my main goal for this is to be able to use it during crop-mode recording since my Rokinon 14mm 3.1 is a bit too tight.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

dfort

That Opteka would be my choice. Wider and cheaper. My choice for you that is, I've got one of these Rokinon 8mm cine lenses. I have never used it in crop mode. Guess I could do another one of my out the window tests to check it out.

DeafEyeJedi

Please do if you don't mind?

That would be great and much appreciated, @dfort!

So 6.5mm and 8mm is too small of marginal differences to be concerned over?

Would 6.5 show more distortion than 8 in crop-mode shootings?

Danne

Nice one. If it isn,t rectilinear you  migh wanna create a lens profile which will make it rectlinear. Or just keep the fisheye effect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QLxmRYIMjo

There is also the sensor in 3x mode which isn,t centered so that will affect the perspective when filming especially on wider lenses. You can do this :)
http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12796.msg127357#msg127357

Walter Schulz

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Rokinon 8 mm, Bowers 8 mm, Walimex 8 mm, Vivitar 7 mm, Opteka 6,5 mm just rebranded Samyang lenses?

dfort

Quote from: Walter Schulz on August 24, 2015, 08:11:14 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Rokinon 8 mm, Bowers 8 mm, Walimex 8 mm, Vivitar 7 mm, Opteka 6,5 mm just rebranded Samyang lenses?

As far as the Samyang cine lens line goes, Rokinon and Bowers are just rebrands--for sure. It has been reported by several reviewers that Walimex, Vivitar and Opteka are also made by Samyang. I wonder if on the Vivitar 7mm and Opteka 6.5mm they fudged how they listed the focal length to get a marketing advantage because that is a significant difference when it comes to fisheyes.

If they are the same lens then even more of a reason to compare prices. I've got a few Bower lenses and they are identical to the Rokinons only they were on sale at BH Photo when I bought them.

Of course you could go for the lens made in Belarus but it looks like it flares and vignettes more severely than the other choice(s).

Walter Schulz

Focal length for fisheyes is a concept I'm unable to understand.
There are 3 things defining a fisheye lens:
- Image circle size
- Angle of view
- Projection type

Give me this and I know what to expect when mounted to a cam. Give me focal length and I'm lost.

dfort

Only thing I'm sure of is what it looks like through the lens.

Here's some more out of my window shots:

This is with a Rokinon (Samyang, Bower, etc...) on an EOS-M H.264 1920x1080. Shot above is normal and below is crop mode.

As you can see there is still a little bit of curvature showing on the edges but not much.

For more out of my window lens comparisons check out:

http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15660

DeafEyeJedi

Nice results. Appreciate your time for sharing @dfort and Thanks to @Walter Schulz & @Danne for their comments as well.

Looks like I'll just give the Opteka 6.5mm 3.5 a shot (found one for $80) and hopefully that'll be good enough for me to get it modified similar to how @Danne did with his 8mm with limited set of tools.

Hopefully you can (I think I may have read it somewhere but hoping for a more deep in-depth) forward me a link or youtube tut on how to disamble it and add a Modded Canon Mount lens...

DeafEyeJedi

Ran into this...

Tamron 4-12mm 1.2

Thoughts on that?

I can only imagine what would it look like from MLV crop-mode recording @ 2.5K on 5D3 at night-time, obviously with an adapter ya know?

Walter Schulz

dfort

The B&H Photo link in DeafEyeJedi's post for the Tamron 4-12mm 1.2 isn't working but the reviews for the infrared model shows a couple of people are happy with it on the Panasonic GH2 in ETC mode which is essentially crop mode video. (Let's see if that link works.)

Anyway, it is a lens that's designed to be used on surveillance or machine control cameras so there's no focusing scale, marked f-stops and it probably isn't a parfocal zoom.

If you buy it from B&H they are good about accepting returns. Though last time I did that the shipping cost almost as much as the item I was returning.

DeafEyeJedi

Well this is to be expected to only work during crop-mode which is why I thought of ML's crop-mode in MLV but who knows if thats even a possibility.