shooting 4:3 video

Started by harenama, August 19, 2015, 05:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harenama

Hi!
Will there ever be a feature on magic lantern that will enable us to shoot video with the 4:3 aspect ratio? Similar to the new firmware update on the GH4. I have a Sankor 16C anamorghic adaptor. Seems like a lot of high end cameras have that feature and think that its a must needed feature.
Anyone agree?
Will this happen in the future?
Thank for your time and best regards,
Mike

ansius

in some cameras there is 640x480 mode :D tough utterly useless for you

tough what would be the point in using 4:3 on a DSLR, as it would be a crop out of picture anyway. There might be point in raw and it is possible to do that, see the calc: http://rbrune.github.io/mlraw/

as the lens you have is 2x anamorphic (I believe) there would be large resolution loss. and I think it would be more than just cropping the image to desired wide. also if I remember correctly this adapter is projection one, thus works only with rather long end lenses.

so in short - h.264 no, unless you use 640x480, with raw it is already there. you just need camera with ML + CF slot + fast CF card to get usable results.
Canon EOS 7D & 40D, EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, EF 28-300mm IS USM, Mir-20, Mir-1, Helios 44-5, Zenitar ME1, Industar 50-2, Industar 61L/Z-MC, Jupiter 37A, TAIR-3
http://www.ansius.lv http://ansius.500px.com

harenama

Hi Ansius,
The point is when shooting at 4:3 aspect ratio in full HD would be 1440x1080. Having a 2X anamorphic adaptor, the squeeze would be less. It would be a 2.66.1 squeeze instead of a 3.55.1 when you shoot with at 16:9. They have that feature on the GH2 with a hack and also the GH4 with the new firmware. Seems like Canon dont want to listen to their customers like Panasonic.
Still hoping it's a possibility with magic lantern because I love the Canon feel and look compared to the Panasonic and I love my Sankor 16C anamorphic adaptor.
Thank for your imput.

Mike

harenama

Also I am in no way qualified to give suggestions about how magic lantern works but I had an idea. Since cameras like the 50D are able to shoot video even though it's not native to it, would it it possible to somehow shoot video in photo mode and keep the aspect ratio you desire like 4:3, 1:1, 3:2 or 16:9?
Again I dont know how it works but seems like it would yeah?
Thanks,
Mike

dpjpandone

yeah man, enable the mlv_rec module. it's got settings for all kinds of different aspect ratios. 50D is one of the best cameras you can get for anamorphic Because it shoots the full frame in 1500 pixels wide. After you unsqueeze it in post you have 3k raw video!

harenama

Thanks dpjpandone
I tried that. It would be perfect but even with the fastest card, Sandisk extreme pro, I can't record at a proper aspect ratio or resolution. I dont need to record raw, just a proper aspect ratio.
Thank you for your input. I might need to get one of these 50d. I currently have the T5I.

Mike

dpjpandone

you can buy a used one for as little as $200 sometimes, the only drawback is they dont record audio so you have to slate every shot, but it's definitely the best cam for anamorphic. You definitely need a cam with a CF card, SD is way too slow

harenama

Yes you are right. Might be my only option.
Thank again
Mike