Paris - the city of light

Started by keepersdungeon, August 16, 2015, 11:14:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keepersdungeon

Few weeks back, I decided to make a short movie of this beautiful city Paris. So took my camera, started filming here and there and this is what I've came up with.

Gear:
Canon 6D
GoPro 4 Black 
Canon EF 24-105 mm f/4 L
Samyang 12 mm f/2.8 (for Full Frame Cameras)
Nikkor 50 mm f/1.8

Shot in June - July 2015
Whole movie filmed handheld except for the time-lapse I used a Vanguard Espod 203AP tripod

Thanks for watching.

https://vimeo.com/136370140

DeafEyeJedi

With the 6D did you shoot in h264 or RAW?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

keepersdungeon

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on August 16, 2015, 06:46:42 PM
With the 6D did you shoot in h264 or RAW?
Raw,  why it looks like h264?

Levas

For handheld most if it looks very stable  8)
The slowmotion helps a lot ofcourse, for stability.
The slowmo, did you use the 50p mode on the 6d or are those gopro shots, where we see slow motion?

keepersdungeon

No there's only one shot with the GoPro the one where the pigeon flies, and it's not even in slow motion. the rest is with the 6d

Kharak

Nice video!

What resolution were you recording at? Sorry to say, but I do see the same softness over most of the 6D raw videos I've seen.. Especially wide shots with lots of detail, the details seem to murk together somehow..

Did you try adding noise to dither the image more?

I am all the time one click away from buying the Rokinon 12 mm Cine T.3.1

Can you tell me about your experience with it?

What is holding me back is the lack of videos on the net where people used this lens... I find a couple of reviews on youtube, but to be honest I think those guys will praise any lens they get from a lens manufacturer, to stay under their wings.. So I don't trust their reviews and secondly the guys who used the lens were more in to photography too...

I'd really like to hear what your opinion is about the lens @keepersdungeon. Pros and cons..

I assume you did some defishey on the footage in this video, if so, how much? what kind? Did you try with Fisheye Hemi - Defisheying in Photoshop? I've seen some wonderful results with photographs using the 12 mm and the Hemi plugin, I am wondering how it comes out with video.

And 3x crop mode, how does it come out with the 12 mm?

Basically.. I wanna shoot fisheye with this lens and make it not look like fisheye... Then I am happy. Would love for some DNG's to see what I can get with this lens.

Regards.

Kharak
once you go raw you never go back

Levas

If you don't wanna shoot fisheye with it, why not buy the rokinon 14mm f2,8 or the video version of it ?

Levas

That the video looks a bit soft is probably because the use of 50p or 48p mode.
Am I right ?

Just wondering, I see no fisheye effect, so you did use the 3xcrop mode for 36mm view, right?

Kharak

@Levas.

I wanna shoot as wide as possible but without distorting in to Fisheye.. a little distortion is inevitable, but the trick is to not make people notice it. The 12 mm rokinon fisheye has lower field of view than other 12 mm lenses, that is why I am so interested in it.

its so hard to find any videographers telling their experience with the lens..

Would be nice if I could get a DNG from a 5D2 or 5D3 with the 12 mm.

14 mm is nice too.. I am in a pickle here.. I want wide, but I don't want fisheye.

once you go raw you never go back

keepersdungeon

Quote from: Kharak on August 17, 2015, 03:01:08 PM
Nice video!

What resolution were you recording at? Sorry to say, but I do see the same softness over most of the 6D raw videos I've seen.. Especially wide shots with lots of detail, the details seem to murk together somehow..

Did you try adding noise to dither the image more?

I am all the time one click away from buying the Rokinon 12 mm Cine T.3.1

Can you tell me about your experience with it?

What is holding me back is the lack of videos on the net where people used this lens... I find a couple of reviews on youtube, but to be honest I think those guys will praise any lens they get from a lens manufacturer, to stay under their wings.. So I don't trust their reviews and secondly the guys who used the lens were more in to photography too...

I'd really like to hear what your opinion is about the lens @keepersdungeon. Pros and cons..

I assume you did some defishey on the footage in this video, if so, how much? what kind? Did you try with Fisheye Hemi - Defisheying in Photoshop? I've seen some wonderful results with photographs using the 12 mm and the Hemi plugin, I am wondering how it comes out with video.

And 3x crop mode, how does it come out with the 12 mm?

Basically.. I wanna shoot fisheye with this lens and make it not look like fisheye... Then I am happy. Would love for some DNG's to see what I can get with this lens.

Regards.

Kharak

Hello! Thank you.
Actually due to the fact that u was testing the raw videos as well so I kinda tried lots of different resolution but ended up with the highest res u can use with the 16:9 non crop at 25 or 30 fps.

The softness is due to the compression of the video, one from 1080p to 720p at 5Mbits/s then comes the vimeo...  Resulting the smooth video so ended up with 180mb,  I think it's limit for streaming couldn't go less without losing more and higher res became a lot slower to stream for people.

For the samyang 12mm in my opinion I think it's one of the best fisheyes comparing quality and price, it's very gd specially for the distortion. But then again like Levas said if u don't want a fish eye get the 14 mm.

I did not defisheying a lot in the movie few shots one or two max.

Bottom line if u want a fisheye I strongly recommend this one. Specially for landscape and astrophotography

Edit:Sorry forgot about the cons:

The think is that it's fully manual so u need to pay attention on ur focus coz in the display screen it's not that obvious. So I advise u to use ML zoom to focus, but then again if it's for landscape just put on infinity and u're gd to go. Other than that the lens is very gd. And pretty sharp too at f4 / 5.6

gmfotografie

handheld....?
did you use a stabilyzer in postproduction?
even i´m not old but such a relaxed hand would be my dream ;-)

keepersdungeon

Quote from: gmfotografie on August 17, 2015, 09:27:46 PM
handheld....?
did you use a stabilyzer in postproduction?
even i´m not old but such a relaxed hand would be my dream ;-)
Yeah some Shots were stabilized in post :)

keepersdungeon

I would actually like an honest overall opinion of the movie from u guys... Thanks in advanced

gmfotografie

i like it very much... like the cuts, the colors and the mood...great

Levas

I like the dreamy slowmotion in the first part. Speed of the edit is well done to the speed of the music.
Only thing which could be perhaps better is the dark shadows in some shots. Since it was shot in raw I think you could have lifted the shadows a bit more in the very contrasty middle of the day shots.

keepersdungeon

Quote from: Levas on August 18, 2015, 10:22:42 AM
I like the dreamy slowmotion in the first part. Speed of the edit is well done to the speed of the music.
Only thing which could be perhaps better is the dark shadows in some shots. Since it was shot in raw I think you could have lifted the shadows a bit more in the very contrasty middle of the day shots.
Thanks, yeah actually at 1st I had more details in the shadows but then I went with the look with flat dark areas and was hesitating between the two wanted to show details of the raw, and wanted the flat dark areas so I tried to mix between the two but ended up killing a lot of details for it...

jayhas

limey

Yeh whatever grade or filter applied to the DNGs definitely killed detail, but I liked the 99% of the shots. All of them except ending with the catacombs to me was weird. The other stuff was all cool though. Slo mo, slightly slo mor, hyperlapse, slo rotations, timelapse, etc. In fact, I think some of the content of the shots was so good, I started to not care about crushed shadows.

keepersdungeon

Quote from: limey on August 20, 2015, 01:55:26 PM
Yeh whatever grade or filter applied to the DNGs definitely killed detail, but I liked the 99% of the shots. All of them except ending with the catacombs to me was weird. The other stuff was all cool though. Slo mo, slightly slo mor, hyperlapse, slo rotations, timelapse, etc. In fact, I think some of the content of the shots was so good, I started to not care about crushed shadows.
Thank u, yeah the crushed details in the shadows was an artistic look I went with that's all. Made me lose lots of details.