Canon vs. Nikon Teleconverters to use with Canon bodies...

Started by DeafEyeJedi, August 09, 2015, 07:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: dfort on August 04, 2015, 05:11:09 AM
BTW--I got a Nikon 2x tele extender on ebay pretty cheap. That might do the trick for you. Love how you can adapt so many lenses so easily to the EOS-M. Nikon manual lenses on Canon bodies are a staple with stop motion animation because they don't flicker.

Question... does it make more sense to go with Nikon Teleconverter as oppose to Canon's even if I use Canon adapters on the Nikon lenses that I use?

Because if I do use a Nikon Teleconverter then that means I'll still need to use an adapter on it and just use the Nikon lens on the converter WITHOUT the adapter in between.

I thought of this only because I wasn't sure Nikon glass going through a Canon glass would cause some weird artifacts or something strange... better or worse who knows?

May be worth to try both haha but here's what I found online for used Nikon teleconverters:

https://www.keh.com/search/list?s=Nikon+Teleconverter+TC-201

Which one of these is the one that you use?

Thanks, @dfort!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

dfort

Wow, look at all those teleconverters. I'm pretty sure the one I have is the "real" Nikon TC-201 but I'll have to double check when I get home. I only have an EOS-M and the Nikon to Canon EF-M adapter is easy to mount and remove.

I do have some Redrock Micro Nikon to Canon EF adapters that use set screws to make a solid connection and can see how a Canon teleconverter would be easier to deal with. Guess you're going to have to try out both to see which works best for you.  :D

Of course using manual lenses you don't need a teleconverter with electronics connections so the Nikon manual adapter is less expensive. About $50. I got mine along with a 55mm Micro-Nikkor lens and an extension tube so I'm not really sure what I paid for it.

dpjpandone

get the nikon. u want the adapter to be as close to the glass of your taking lens as possible. besides, nikon coatings on both lenses will ensure that color doesnt change when u use teleconverter

nikfreak

Little offtopic:
I alwas used the Tc-16A on Nikon bodies. Owned 3 of these ofc only the modified version which enabled me to autofocus my Nippon Kogaku manual lenses:
http://www.foolography.com/free-stuff/modify-tc-16a/
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]