Bit rate investigation

Started by Audionut, July 19, 2012, 04:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CinematicSyndicate

To respond what what someone said earlier - I have also noticed the bitrate controls are gone from the nightly build I have...yet there is a LOAD H.264.INI option that seems to do nothing when I press it. Am I missing something here?

1%

CinematicSyndicate

1%

Compile off my repo I guess and enable the 6D controls for 5DIII.

CinematicSyndicate

Gotcha. Are the bitrate controls slated to be added back to the 5D3 build in the near future?

1%

I doubt because a1ex didn't like the code and 5DIII is very raw friendly.

CinematicSyndicate

It would be helpful to have a happy medium, I think, between pure RAW and crappy h.264 for footage-intensive shoots...

Yoda

So if the 5d3 nitrate controls aren't coming back, anyone know of the last build with the nitrate controls in?  I really liked this feature on the 550D, and I just picked up my 5D3, and loading the latest nightly build, noted that it's gone.

Raw is awesome, and even when having a solid infrastructure to support the post-production workflow, I find it's practical to have a high bit rate control for h264/MOV.  Stuff like birthdays, events, or demo-type of footage has its uses, and fast turn around time has it's advantages. 

Cheers,

Yoda

1%

Dunno, I can make a new one some time if you want. Just have to make 5DIII on my repo.

Yoda

Alex, that would be awesome if you put it back.  #hero #awesome #bitrate   ;D

1%

lol I'm not a1ex but i can upload a snapshot.

make sure it still has bitrate controls, if not I'll look at the build config

https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads/magiclantern-Tragic.2013Dec08.5D3113.zip

remember I don't have a 5DIII

Yoda

Sorry bout that mate.  But I will def check it out and report back.

1%, Side note:  Do you have a thread to share where I can report back some results using the latest 5D3 nightly build?  I got some near over heating after recording just 30 seconds on RAW. (51 degree C light popped up).  I thought perhaps I might share my info in case it would help the dev effort. 

Cheers,

Yoda

1%

I guess open an overheating thread? Easy way to do it is lots of indicators + gd on.

Yoda

Fyi, I loaded your build from Dec 08, no bit rate controls showed up.  Only h264.ini option was there.

On the over heating, I disabled all the global draw stuff except for live view.  Maybe I should disable that as well.  I was using FPS over-ride, and some basic parameters in exposure over ride for iso, shutter, etc, but nothing out of the ordinary.  Hmm....

1%

FPS is very likely to do it especially at reduced FPS. Digic V alternates FPS somehow and I think its to reduce load on the sensor... otherwise why

Ok, fixed it.. its still recommended to load configs (but bitrate-5d3 doesnt work!), they are in this thread. You can probably just do fixed QP tho since its CF and all, read the other posts.

http://www.filedropper.com/magiclantern-tragic2013dec095d3113

wenen

Quote from: 1% on December 09, 2013, 08:26:52 PM
FPS is very likely to do it especially at reduced FPS. Digic V alternates FPS somehow and I think its to reduce load on the sensor... otherwise why

Ok, fixed it.. its still recommended to load configs (but bitrate-5d3 doesnt work!), they are in this thread. You can probably just do fixed QP tho since its CF and all, read the other posts.

This build is only for 5D mark III? You have any new build for 600D and new settings?

1%

Yoda

Interesting.  Ok, I'll def not do fps over ride....was only doing 24 exact, lol.

I'll load the latest build and read up.  You totally rock for the awesome support man!  :)

Cheers,

Yoda

g3gg0

Digic V alternates FPS somehow and I think its to reduce load on the sensor... otherwise why

wasnt it for dithering towards the perfect accurate frame rate?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

1%

You're most likely right, either way it gets hotter when FPS override is on. Especially low FPS

Datadogie

Yoda the 600d has 24, 25, 30, 50 and 60fps so no need for ML to adjust these.
T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.

g3gg0

Quote from: 1% on December 11, 2013, 05:18:17 PM
it gets hotter when FPS override is on. Especially low FPS

obvious as the sensels are powered longer.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

arrinkiiii

Quote from: 1% on December 11, 2013, 05:18:17 PM
You're most likely right, either way it gets hotter when FPS override is on. Especially low FPS

Yes, it's true. About 1 month i try very low fps override and the camera just warning me that is hot temperature and self disconnected, in about 15 minutes.

Yoda

Link doesn't work?  and I'm still catching up on load configs....what is this for?  Fixed QP?

Thanks 1%,

Yoda