Bit rate investigation

Started by Audionut, July 19, 2012, 04:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgharding

Quote from: jankyy on June 26, 2013, 09:23:59 PM
please help me understand:
is this something that works for Canon 6D, too? where would I find these settings?

thanks - jan

I'm not aware of if such an H264 control mode was implemented in 6D code at all, I'm afraid I can't answer that.
Zeiss primes, 600D, a lot of shadow. http://www.jgharding.com

1%

6D uses configs, lets you set qp and and other things. Diff system.

Scipione205

Hi all, I tried to understand something reading from the first post till the last. However I didn't understand much.

jgharding said that he ca use ISO 6400 with is 600D using certain compressions, I'm trying to understand how: I have a 600D (with no TXi mosaic filter) and I need to record in very low light, at least ISO 1250 or even 2500, but the noise is too strong (I use flaat, cinestyle and visioncolor).

I tried with the last build (the one with new menu and RAW modules) with GOP1, CBR 20x and Flush 4 (I didn't understand yet what does flush means), but I can't notice better image quality and lower noise vs default recording settings.

Can anyone write a summary wich can help to understand, so I can help doing experiments?

Thank you

Luzestudio

Hi!!

I just installed the Tragic lantern version and adjusted the parameters kindly recommended by jgharding.
I'm really interested in getting the best from h.264.

Will make some tests over the weekend but for now my sd card is holding well.

Best!

-----
www.luzestudio.es

MD87

"GOP1, CBR 20x and Flush 4" I was also pleasantly surprised by the result of such adjustments. Better detail with a slight increase in bit rate. Not only pleases the lack of sound recording  :(
600D+ TL. CANON 50 F1.8 II; TAMRON  17-50 F2.8 VC; CANON 18-135; MIR-1B 37 F2.8; JUPITER-37A 135 F3.5.

1%

Try lower CBR.. the 20x doesn't do anything but overflow the numbers, will fixate on max "official" qp. Old version had much better H264.. yes still needs to be ported, I sound like a broken record :)

jgharding

Quote from: Scipione205 on June 27, 2013, 06:45:50 PM
jgharding said that he ca use ISO 6400 with is 600D using certain compressions, I'm trying to understand how: I have a 600D and I need to record in very low light, at least ISO 1250 or even 2500, but the noise is too strong (I use flaat, cinestyle and visioncolor).

Sorry I forgot I mention denoising, I take it for granted.

I should have said: ISO 6400 is usable after denoising with Neat Video. The reason the high bitrates help is (speaking simply) the noise is encoded sharply so it's easier for Neat Video to detect and remove.

At default bitrate the noise is mushed into the picture so you can't take it out. That's why ISO6400 is useful with this hack, because the settings I used keep the bitrate cranked to 160mbps continuos.
Zeiss primes, 600D, a lot of shadow. http://www.jgharding.com

Luzestudio

Short question for improved higher bitrates:

With a Sandisk 45 MB/s (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71DBV%2BV0NRL._SL1482_.jpg) is enough or a 95 MB/s ( http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Kdyjl02FL._SX385_.jpg) will do any better? I think it will do the same because the hardware, but...

For the 600D I mean.
-----
www.luzestudio.es

SDX

It doens't matter which you choose since the camera is the limit.
Unless you want fast transferrates for the pc-side of things.

vanburen08

I agree, I've been following this thread for awhile and would like to know a detailed explanation of how to use TL 2.0. IT has as far as GOP settings, Flush, GOP, and file size. It mentions EOSmoviefixer.exe. Do I install this alongside the autoexec? I'd really appreciate to know what settings are best with sound, and what settings are best without sound. Since I'm using the t3i, RAW at this point isn't my priority, but getting the most out of h.264 is. I love this development, because I can still shoot video for commercials, etc. without having to deal with the raw workflow. Although, if mjpeg were still possible, then that would be awesome as well, but that seems more of a long shot now.

1%

EOS fixer is just for >4gb movies... it runs on the PC.

Set the BR somewhere above 3x, flush of 3 or 4 and gop of 1 for all I if you want it. Usually non all I gop can be FPS but I'm not sure if that works, haven't tried recently.. 3, 6, 12, 15 are all ok. Mainly you want it keeping the quality set high and writing the frames out faster.

vanburen08

Thanks, that helps tremendously. And these two settings are good for sound?

1%

Sound you can't change flush rate... I don't think gop either. Wav is fine but regular canon sound is not.

wenen

I just want to say that the old build with Slice 87 is awesome, 120MBs with sound on!

F*** RAW. It is not working good on 600D anyway and to big file size to have on a computer.

Scipione205

I didn't udnerstand what't this 'old build' you're talking about, and what are the reccomended settings?

N/A

I shot a few vids with TL 1, the slice 87/gop 1 combo is damn pretty, especially with a nice picture style. Very detailed with a natural sharpness to it.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

wenen

Quote from: Scipione205 on June 29, 2013, 01:04:12 AM
I didn't udnerstand what't this 'old build' you're talking about, and what are the reccomended settings?

Old: https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern Settings: 25p, sound on,CBR 2,0x, DblockA/B -6,-6, picqPC 0, GOP3, JP Slice 87, Slice Lock: Enabled, MinBR :80, Max:125, Drop By 1: 85, drop by 3: 100, Taper rates: enabled

New: https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-2.0 This one have RAW

Critical Point

Can someone please post the absolute best settings for H.264 without audio ?
600D & GH2 / PC.

N/A

Wenen's settings but with sound off in 1080p/24p mode, taper rates disabled, dblock both to -1. After you change settings restart the camera.

Critical Point

600D & GH2 / PC.

N/A

far.in.out

For me it stops after 1-2secs. WTF? How do I adjust for lower target bitrate?

TL2.0 I can go as high as 110Mbps GOP3 CBR x2.2...
EOS M (was 600D > 50D)

Critical Point

Is there a normal Magic Lantern 2.3 + the new H.264 features added on ? I mean for those settings:

30p, sound off, CBR 2,0x, DblockA/B -1,-1, picqPC 0, GOP1, JP Slice 87, Slice Lock: Enabled, MinBR :80, Max:125, Drop By 1: 85, drop by 3: 100, Taper rates: disabled.
600D & GH2 / PC.

N/A

Afaik it was only available in TL 1, when I was using it I could hit a steady 160 mbps, which is pretty much max.

Critical Point

In that case what build should I use for those settings ?
600D & GH2 / PC.