Stable Release download?

Started by Levthon, August 05, 2015, 10:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Levthon

hi
Im new here in  the forum. i have a Canon EOS 6D. im interested to expereiment with Magic lantern, but i have a question.

In the download section i only find nightly builds to download. Arent any stable release to download?

Walter Schulz

Stable is considered to be outdated. Unsupported for years without most recent features (Dual-ISO, RAW video, Full Resolution Silent Pic and others). And best of all: There is no stable v2.3 for 6D.

Levthon

so theres only nightly build to download? would you recommend it to download and install it?

Walter Schulz

Levthon

but then how can i try this out? i want to shoot video in raw

masc

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Levthon

can i later uninstall these nightly builds or does it really fuck up my camera? does the latest nightly build for 6D raw video record sound too?

Walter Schulz

You will see. Please take a vid during installation (Lexan shielding recommended) and put it on youtube. If no Lexan around you may ask a local school if you may use their chem lab.
SCNR

Levthon

you should go to school to learn how to answer properly to questions. I mean i asked 2 things. What do you mean "You will see?" if you cant help me why do you bother posting?

masc

@Levthon: everything you ask here is written in the documentation and in this forum. Just read...
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

dfort

Hi @Levthon and welcome to the shark tank. I see you are very new to the forum, 6 posts so far 5 of them here and one on a topic about a wedding video shot on a different camera than your Canon 6D:

http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15637.msg152236#msg152236

To answer that question, yes that video was done using a nightly build--in fact everyone is using nightly builds. Except perhaps for those who can compile the source code or the one or two hold outs that are clinging to their "stable" version--without raw video capabilities.

If you go to the download page you will see several warnings about nightly builds and no link for a so-called "stable" version of Magic Lantern. So Walter Schulz answered your question:

Quote from: Walter Schulz on August 05, 2015, 10:16:24 AM
Stable is considered to be outdated. Unsupported for years without most recent features (Dual-ISO, RAW video, Full Resolution Silent Pic and others). And best of all: There is no stable v2.3 for 6D.

If I may offer some advice, please read posts by other Canon 6D members and instead of starting a new topic on something that has been discussed before--post on an appropriate topic. You made a new topic in General Development Discussion when you would have done better by reading through this discussion about your camera.

You want to experiment with raw video? There's a section in the forum dedicated to that. Read about other users' experiences and try not to ask the same questions that have already been answered many times before.

Oh--and if your camera blows up you get to keep the pieces  :)