MLV Wedding Film

Started by nlhenry1, August 04, 2015, 04:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nlhenry1

Shot a wedding in raw a while back, and I'm very happy with the results! Many thanks to the Magic Lantern team for transforming the 5D3 into a monster of a camera!
Now, if I could just figure out a more efficient way to sync external audio in Resolve next time...

https://vimeo.com/133514670

Edit: Just realized that I posted this in the wrong area...sorry mods. Can someone move it to "share your videos"?

Levthon

so you did this with magic lantern nightly build?

Conaxe

Could you be more in depth with your workflow and gear(lenses)? thanks for sharing!
70D.111B

nlhenry1

This was shot with August 2014 build of 1.2.3. It has been pretty stable for me as long as I don't do something weird (like forget to turn off FPS override when switching back to higher resolution for 24fps....doh). It would be amazing if there were a way to have FPS overrride automatically enable/disable when you switch resolution/framerate in canon menu.

For slow motion I shot it at 48 fps and stretched/slowed it down to 24 fps in resolve.
Lens wise I just used 24-105L and EF 50mm f1.4. I try to keep the workflow as straightforward as possible-
Video: Mlrawviewer -> Resolve (edit and grade). I made primary whitebalance, saturation, and exposure adjustments on raw tab, adjusted gamma/lift on first node as necessary, then used one of Juan Malera's free Kodak LUTs at ~60% opacity on the second node for everything.
External Recorder Audio (Zoom H4n in front of PA speaker) -> Reaper (compression, levels adjustment etc...) -> Resolve
Syncing external audio was a nightmare, but that was because Resolve wasn't giving me sound with converted dng files (I suspect because I recorded at 44.1kHz and Davinci doesn't like something about the way that mlrawviewer resamples to 48kHz, I need to do some more testing here...)

Do you guys have any fancy tricks for syncing external audio? I wish pluraleyes was available for Resolve....
Also, I wonder if Resolve 12 will support standard VST audio plugins? I would cut Reaper out of the audio chain if I could.

cmccullum

Great vid! Can you explain, better, your process for doing slowmo (what resolution, use of fps override specifically). I still haven't really had the chance to work with raw on my mkiii because I don't have a fast cf card :( but it looks like you missed focus in a couple of spots.. Was this user error, or did you have to turn off live view in order to shoot?

nlhenry1

Basically I just set it to 720p 60 fps in the cannon menu (accessed with the "Q" button), then turn on fps override and set it to 48 (ends up being like 48.015 after you tell it 48). Adjust shutter speed to 1/100 and make any necessary exposure adjustments then start rolling.

Missed focus was just user error....there's a lot happening pretty fast for a single shooter at the weddings so I missed focus in a couple spots in my hurry to start recording. I always have live view on (can't imagine shooting without it).

Get yourself a fast card man, raw is in a different league than h.264. I finally get that cinematic look that I've always wanted.

cmccullum

Thanks! I looked at the fps override menu a couple of times and decided I shouldn't mess with things I don't know how to use haha

I've missed focus more times than I care to admit, and I can't imagine shooting a wedding alone! Kudos to you man

Davidos

Very good work. Quick questions. How much footage did you shoot in total? Did you deliver only the short movie or an extended cut with speeches, full ceremony, full dance etc....

nlhenry1

I can't remember exactly how much I shot, but it was probably on the order of 180GB. For this one, I only delivered the highlight style reel, but in the future I plan to also offer the entire ceremony / beginning of reception unedited as shot by another static camera set up on a tripod in case they really want to re-watch the whole thing.

I personally think trying to create an edited wedding film longer than about 7 or 8 minutes is kind of like trying to add filler to meet a "required" length on an essay - it shows, and waters down what would have otherwise been a cohesive and powerful effort.

Davidos

I thoroughly agree. The short is enough. My plan is to deliver a 5-7min short with unedited static, not quite cctv footage of the ceremony, the speeches and first dance. Label those as extras on the DVD menu.

I'm looking for a bit more freedom with the camera, rather than being stuck behind a big heavy tripod in the corner somewhere. I'd like to be able to walk around with a small camera and get footage of the things that really matter on the wedding day, and at my discretion. Much like a second shooter to a photographer. I believe my creativity will go through the roof. I have 250GB capacity to shoot in raw. I figure that'll give me about 75 minutes of footage to work with. Plenty in my view. The image produced is beautiful, there are still some issues in dealing with a slightly convoluted workflow,  but I can live with that. I'm using mlrawviewer to premiere. It's the lost magenta frames and frame skipping in the footage and the camera lockups that have stopped me in my tracks.

dpjpandone

If you can export an xml file from resolve, you should be able to import into plural eyes, no?

nlhenry1

I think Resolve 12 actually has an audio syncing tool built in. Now if I could just find an MLV converter that allows my in-camera audio to work correctly right off the bat in Resolve......

drewdunlop

Have you tried using MLVFS with resolve?

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13152.0

It bypasses the whole DNG process and has been working perfectly for me so far with audio!

axelcine

@nlhenry1 What a beautiful wedding film, plotted, planned and carried out with a vengeance. Without cooperation from the wedding couple - the mike - it might have been difficult, but the exterior sound works. You have made an outstandingly good wedding movie, planned and carried out with perfection.

Post-soundsync isn't necessarily done in Resolve, but can - in this case should be - be added later, since sound is crucial to this particular movie. I use Resolve for color and contrast, but certainly not for sound.

But as a whole it is one of the most wonderful wedding movies I have ever seen. Wish you were here when I was married.

BTW Say hello to the young couple...
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass