Variable MLV resolution?

Started by poromaa, October 29, 2015, 08:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poromaa

Hi,
I might have asked similar question before, but I just wonder if it would be possible to record an MLV raw video of interchangeble resolution.
What I'm aiming for is something like 24fps of low resolution video, where every 4th or 8th frame is  a full sensor readout.
I don't want to bother with the math if its not even possible.
I have a setup in after effects that could potentially create 4K interpolated output of that footage, using the low-res as tracking for moving pixels in the interpolated high-res sequence. Inspired by this:
http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/81643/enhancing_spacetime.pdf

So, is it even possible to create this kind of data?

budafilms

Sound very interesting!
Only God knows the real answer, I mean, @A1ex...

DeafEyeJedi

Seriously what a read that was... Actually had to read it twice to be sure I understand it.

Sounds like a cool concept but like @budafilms mentioned who knows... Stand by for @a1ex!

Thanks for sharing btw, @poromaa!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

dmilligan

Doing a full sensor readout takes several times longer than a single video frame, so this isn't practical for 24fps video, but it would be theoretically possible for timelapse. I'd guess the best you could do would be something around 4fps, based on the current amount of time it takes to do a FRSP capture.

If you wanted to stay in video mode (and not try to do a full sensor readout), you can only change video resolutions by cropping, so you'd never get the same FOV if you wanted to do something like go back and forth between 1080p and 720p.

The MLV format itself doesn't really support variable resolutions (but you could change it or invent a new format).