davinci resolve + premiere pro workflow?

Started by EVZML, July 28, 2015, 03:26:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EVZML

Hello,

I'm working with 50D CDNG files.
Right now I'm:
-record files using 50D RAW-REC (not MLV)
-convert to CDNG 16bit, via rawcdng 1.5.0.BETA6
-color grading in Davinci Resolve Light (simple grading, using LUTs and some basic corrections)
-exporting in H.264
-importing in Premiere Pro
-color correction 2, and cutting in Premiere Pro
-exporting in H.264 and upload to youtube via browser

I'm mostly working on low budget music videos (for Youtube), that should look high quality!
Means I don't have much time for color correction, LUTs are great for this, and H.264 output is simple and fast to edit.

BUT on my final files, I don't see this great RAW-Video detailed quality. I think the problem is the step: H.264 export from Davinci.
So what is the best export format from resolve, for final grading&cutting the files in Premiere Pro?
Is there a way to have great quality, but still small files and fast export?
I think I don't wanna work with proxy files, like I said I don't have much time for editing.

So I need a simple, fast workflow, that still means high quality.   ::)

Hope somebody can help me. Thanks! :)

PaulJBis

What platform are you on? PC or Mac?

If it's Mac, you should be using Prores HQ. If it's PC... it's complicated, but I've been using Cineform 10-bit and I've been getting good results.

EVZML

Thank you, and I'm working on PC!
I have many different Cineform 10-bit output formats, which exactly one do you use - or should I use?

Thanks!

dude

For PC, you re fine with:
DnxHD(free)
Gopro Cineform
Blackmagic Codec

You choose from 8 to 12(14) bit with these,google will help you

EVZML

Hi dude, thank you for your answer!
I will try these settings later today and give feedback.

And by the way, I have noticed that I ALWAYS have some (not much) noise in my shots, even when recording with ISO 160 (as I understand should have less noise than ISO 100 when recording video, right?).

I'm recording with Canon 50D ( Sigma 20mm 1.8, Canon 50mm 1.8 ).
Maybe you have some tips for me.

Thanks!

sylvain_c

In raw you pretty always have to denoise by yourself because as opposed to H264, there is no in camera denoise applied.Neat video is the best, but I have seen the resolve integrated denoiser giving excellent results (from others users, i have not tested it)
5D MKIII 1.1.3

Boscom

You realise Resolve now has a built in editor, which isnt bad once you get use to it ?

Deadcode

ISO160 was the holy grail before the raw recording era. Now stay with ISO100. (btw you cannot see difference between ISO100 and 160, only the truly amplified ISO's appearing in the raw files. For example  with my 5D2 there is no difference between ISO3200 and ISO6400, because ISO6400 (and 12800 and 25600) are pushed from the amplified ISO3200 in this camera)

If you expose properly you can have perfectly clean results. Turn on RAW Zebras (Luma 99%) and overexpose till you see zebra stripes on "important" areas then dial back 0,3 EV . Important means: everything on the scene that should not be burned out.
My experiance is when you use auto exposure just set the exposure compensation +1EV outdoors, and +2 EV indoors even if you have to raise the ISO value. Properly exposed ISO3200 will look cleaner then underexposed ISO800. (tested)
You can see an example here: https://vimeo.com/67892443

Teamsleepkid

open all dailies in resolve. make proxies. name them the same as the original files. edit the proxies in premier. export an xml. open the xml in davinci. theres an option in the menu about using source clips uncheck it then it will use the raw dngs not the proxies. color grade the dngs export another xml back to premier or just render it out from davinci. tons of vids on youtube about this "offline davinci resolve" workflow. at any rate i wouldn't use h.264 ever. other than making a blu ray. thats probably your problem use anything but h.264. use prores instead.
EOS M

reddeercity

Quote from: Deadcode on February 02, 2017, 09:25:24 AM
For example  with my 5D2 there is no difference between ISO3200 and ISO6400, because ISO6400 (and 12800 and 25600) are pushed from the amplified ISO3200 in this camera)
Anything over 1600 ISO is just Digital pushed on the 5D2 which is noisy and really useable.
For raw video keep to Analog ISO (100,200,400,800,1600) on 5D2 , anything else is just digital pushed or pulled
In H264 multiplies of 160 ISO products cleaner images because of the compression & Picture Style where in raw video there is no compression or picture style applied .
It better to use shorter exposure time if you need to use high ISO's
1/48 -> 1/80 etc..... . 
My $0.02

Deadcode

Quote from: reddeercity on February 02, 2017, 11:56:04 PM
Anything over 1600 ISO is just Digital pushed on the 5D2 which is noisy and really useable.
For raw video keep to Analog ISO (100,200,400,800,1600) on 5D2 , anything else is just digital pushed or pulled
In H264 multiplies of 160 ISO products cleaner images because of the compression & Picture Style where in raw video there is no compression or picture style applied .
It better to use shorter exposure time if you need to use high ISO's
1/48 -> 1/80 etc..... . 
My $0.02

On the 5D2 the ISO3200 is analog ISO
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9d46mzo8guUaUZ0WTZZWnRKYjA?usp=sharing here you can see examples with same aperture and shutter speed but with different ISO levels. ISO6400 and ISO3200 have the same brightness, but ISO1600 and ISO3200 are differ.

reddeercity

Quote from: Deadcode on February 03, 2017, 09:15:31 AM
On the 5D2 the ISO3200 is analog ISO
Will  ??? if you don't what to believe me ,  maybe you will believe the main developers
a1ex
Quote....... 5D2/500D/50D it appears at 1600, because this is the max analog ISO there
dmilligan
QuoteISO 3200 and 6400 are not CMOS (analog) ISOs on 5D2 ....... only downstream electronics that are changed or digital manipulation to get those higher ISOs