DaVinci Resolve 12 beta is now available

Started by Andy600, July 27, 2015, 01:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy600

The latest and greatest DaVinci Resolve (v12) has been released in beta. I think this now rivals Premier Pro and FCP in it's NLE capabilities and with Resolve's color grading toolset, it's probably all you'll need for editing/color work - if you have the power to run it!

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

DeafEyeJedi

GOD This is just too depressing for me... The new features are such A TEASE and will have to get myself a new Mac before running this new update of DR 12 beta.

Thanks for sharing as always, @Andy600!

p.s. Thanks for your recent quick follow up on your thread.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Andy600

It's super-hungry!

Aside from my main Resolve system, I have a couple of lower spec comps mainly for testing stuff (and emergencies) and v12 is struggling more compared to V11 and that's with a very conservative 10 minute DNG timeline (1080p) - had a few crashes on an i7 with 16gb ram and a 4gb GTX680 GPU and our editor couldn't get it to work on his 2013 MBP (yet). I'm not sure if the new color management plays a part in slowing things down or because it's an early beta (more likely) but it's definitely slower even without using the new NLE features - I haven't dared try it on the main system yet.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

reddeercity

Well Gave it a Test run on my PC WorkStation , AMD FX8350 8-Core overclock to 4.9GHz , 8GB Ram , SSD , 2 GPU's GTX580(1.5GB ram each) 3GB ram total.
One for the GUI and the other report back as for GPU/cuda.
Now this is the surprising part , I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64bit and it runs fine , The minimum system requirements is windows 8.1   ???
According to the Blackmagic Web site , Strange. Version that I have is "12.0.0b023" for PC.
I'm impressed with the Cdng Raw Debaying  8) I would Say it very close if not right on pare with A.E. ACR . That's was the number one (1) reason I have stayed away from Resolve .
Basically my setting where Camera Raw -Cdng -Decode using:Clip , WB: Custom ,Color space: BMD Film , Gamma: BMD 4K  , with a little adjustment on the "Curves"  .
Also Check , my USB 3.0 UltraStudio SDI , work fine no issue monitoring in 10bit.
It's looking like I finally maybe able to drop or limit my use of Adobe ACR , but need to do some more testing first .
I do like the fact I can now round trip with FCPX(when I load it on my MacPro) . A positive step for blackmagic finally !
I didn't notice any performance issue yet , but haven't really loaded a lot of files .

rbrune

Sadly the Resolve 12 Beta crashes on startup. I guess it's because of my AMD card - even though I had no issues with 11.x, maybe I have to try different drivers.

reddeercity

I tested V12 on my old i5dell laptop(1764) just for kicks, and it ran ok (has a ssd) and even saw my gpu "ati-HD4300" but run out of video memory  and couldn't see any video image but don't clash thou and on win7pro.

Try to reinstall and see if it crashes again.
Are you PC or Mac ?
What your System ?