What is Magic Lantern ?

Started by petrus, July 22, 2012, 11:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petrus

What is Magic Lantern ? I know it is for free, but why should I install it on my 5D II ? Why not inform about this on the home page ? And why do I have to guess 10 times the unreadable figures to post my question?  ::)  :o

Michael Zöller

It turns your camera into a full fledged vacuum cleaner!

Seriously, though, how could you not find what ML is by looking through the home page? The figures are there to protect the forums from spam bots.
neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40

Francis

From the Home page:
Magic Lantern

Unleash the power
from your Canon DSLR!

Open source tool that runs
from the SD/CF card at
camera startup.

Available for Canon EOS:
5Dmk2, 50D, 60D
500D, 550D, 600D

Focus and exposure essentials

* Focus peaking
* Magic zoom
* Follow focus

* Zebras
* RGB histogram
* False color
* Waveform
* Vectorscope

Live audio monitoring

Full manual audio controls

Choose between internal
and external microphones

Quick and easy operation
with shortcut keys

Dedicated photo functionality

* Advanced HDR bracketing
* Very long exposures
* Macro focus stacking
* Trap focus
* Motion detection

petrus

I c. It's fantastic! ok. I understand that since this program is for free one should not expect a serious and in dept answer, at least not from administrators or the ones that have made ML. A childish attemt to ridicule is what one should expect. I've read through the home page. Nowhere is it described IN DEPT what ML is. Only words:

* Focus peaking
* Magic zoom
* Follow focus

* Zebras
* RGB histogram
* False color
* Waveform
* Vectorscope

Live audio monitoring

Full manual audio controls

Choose between internal
and external microphones

Quick and easy operation
with shortcut keys

Dedicated photo functionality

* Advanced HDR bracketing
* Very long exposures
* Macro focus stacking
* Trap focus
* Motion detection

That is why I asked the question. What does it all mean? I know now I won't get a serious answer, but at least I've made it clear that the ML homepage is not clear.

It is possible to protect from spam bots easier ways.

nanomad

One more post and you won't have the captcha anymore  ;)
About the other things, you can download ML and read the user manual that comes in a handy PDF format. Or you can simply use google to find out what they mean.
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

a1ex

Would it be better if this would be the home page instead?

http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/faq

Michael Zöller

Quote from: petrus on July 25, 2012, 08:05:55 PMI understand that since this program is for free one should not expect a serious and in dept answer, at least not from administrators or the ones that have made ML. A childish attemt to ridicule is what one should expect.
petrus, I was making a joke. No ridiculing involved. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. Do you have any specific questions?
neoluxx.de

petrus

He he  ;D, I am not easily offended. Thanx for your apology though. I think a1ex is onto something. Narrow down the wiki post that actually explain ML. This should be just beneath the introduction on the homepage where you klick the arrows. With a short, 2 min to read, but to the point description you would be able to "sell" ML to us users that don't already know what ML is, users like me. A complete description can be a link.

Digital Guy

Hello Petrus and welcome to the forum.

The first step is to do some research on ML. You'll find that a lot of people put a lot time and effort into creating ML and once you start using ML you'll feel guilty for NOT donating at least something towards their effort. So it's not free, it's just that you haven't paid for it yet  ::)

Think of it this way, you have an ordinary camera which you can turbo charge by installing Magic Lantern.
Magic Lantern v2.3 installed on both Canon 60D's with 17-85 & 10-22 & 18-250mm lenses. Canon EOS-M EOSM-FD adapter. Crazy about HDR timelapse photography, I'm experimenting with HDR video and use Sony Vegas Pro 12 video editor and Photomatix Pro

KarateBrot

Quote from: a1ex on July 25, 2012, 08:54:34 PM
Would it be better if this would be the home page instead?

http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/faq

I think it's better to leave the home page as it is BUT you could add a visible button like "What is Magic Lantern?" that is linking to the FAQ.
If you donate a RED EPIC to me you officially are very cool ;)

a1ex

Maybe a set of links to important pages on the last slide is enough?

Like FAQ, user guide, maybe best practices...

Michael Zöller

Yes I was thinking the same thing. Optionally we could also add FAQ between the main menus "Home" and "Documentation" buttons..
neoluxx.de