Pink sky

Started by gsxr_750, August 11, 2015, 09:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gsxr_750

Hi Guys,

Just tried my first raw footage on 5D mark3.

First of all, why my .RAW files are visible and editable in Premeire CS6 when all the post-processing workflows advise to go through a conversion headache? Did I miss something?
And all overexposed areas on the footage have a pink color. HDR and dual ISO is OFF!

Two frames are attached - RAW and usual codec, nothing was added. Opss...sorry, can't attach anything???

dmilligan

Do you have some third party extension for Premiere that supports the Magic Lantern .RAW format? Otherwise what you say is impossible. CS6 actually came out before the .RAW format was even created (CS6 was released in 2012, the first ML raw video stuff happened around mid 2013)

My guess is that if you are using some third party tool, then it is the source of your pink highlights issue.

gsxr_750

I know it sounds very strange, but I've not installed something specifically for RAW files. What it might be? I've not heard about any external tool for CS6 to recognize it natively :))

gsxr_750

dmilligan,

Thank you for the input. It looks like my colleague has installed a Ginger plugin on my PC a couple of years ago. And it creates this issue which btw wasn't resolved by the developer. Unfortunately, this software is not supported anymore and I have no idea on how even to remove it. 

Have you had any experience with MediaReactor?

Thank you

dmilligan

I didn't really feel like spending $$$ for such a plugin, so I wrote basically the same thing, but not for a particular software using some specific API, but at a lower level, implementing the generic file IO API of the OS, so the tool can be used with any editing software. Rather than converting the MLV file to DNGs or some format readable be commercial apps, you "mount" the MLV file and it transcodes to DNG on the fly. These DNGs are readable by AE/ACR, Premiere CC, SpeedGrade, Resolve, and many others: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13152.0

Unfortunately, the CS6 Premiere does not support DNGs, if that's all you have, I would recommend the free version of Resolve, which is pretty powerful and can playback mounted MLV files in realtime (if you're hard drives are fast enough, and you have a decent GPU)