Second Curtain Sync from 5D Mark II body

Started by jondeckerphoto, July 22, 2015, 06:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jondeckerphoto

I've done some searching on here, & I can't seem to find anyone else referring to this subject. If I'm wrong please correct me by linking to the other strings.
On most, if not all, Canon bodies the second curtain sync custom function is no longer available without having a canon ettl flash mounted in the hot shoe. I like using strobes at a distance in outdoor shoots, so using optical slaving from my 580 ex II is less than optimal. I was hoping to find a module in Magic Lantern's library that would reenable the second curtain sync feature from the body, so that I can use non-canon flashes or strobe commanders with this great feature. I know nothing about how to do the programming for these modules, & I simply don't have the time to sit down and learn it this week, so I was hoping someone here would have a solution to this issue. I see possible options being things like: tricking the camera body into thinking that there is a Canon flash mounted, or enabling the custom function on the body if its still there in the code.
As a side note, when the 580 EX 2 flash is in the hot shoe, one can control its custom functions, including second shutter synv, from the body. That makes me believe that the body has this feature for controlling second shutter sync within its software, its just not available due to the manufacturer's preference that we use their branded equipment or partners.
I know, I'm totally new to your forum environment here, so I don't expect anyone to take this seriously; but I really hope you don't totally discount it as nutty. There are a ton of studio strobe users out there who have jury rigged all sorts of optical slave solutions to this problem, but as of now, and my searches today on the Internet at large, no one has a solution that allows for remote controllers to function in the same way that Canon flashes do with this feature.

jondeckerphoto

Also, I don't do Bitcoin, but I will gladly donate if given another option.

jondeckerphoto

Quote from: mothaibaphoto on July 22, 2015, 08:10:27 PM
yongnuo triggers works:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9360.0
Unfortunately, that doesn't actually address the problem, isn't available toi test, and is only going to be for their approved speed lights. The reason I'd like this feature unlocked on the body is to use it with my Einstein strobes on location with the commander trigger I use for every other function.

mothaibaphoto

If you search this forum for any flash-related posts you'll see that ML devs unfortunately haven't reveal any way to get access to this part of camera functionality.